AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound like a dumb question, but please bear with me.

I have a Panasonic 711U 4:3 projector and a 4:3 screen as well. I play DVDs via a HTPC running at 1024x768, so when I'm viewing anamorphic widescreen DVDs, I don't have to switch my projector to 16:9 mode right(since my HTPC will be adding the 2 black bars on top and below the image to form a 4:3 image)?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
HTPC requires no aspect control from PJ. Just check "retain source aspect ratio" on your software DVD player and you're set. HTPC adjust between the differing formats for you. Just make sure your HTPC is set to 1024X768X32bitX60Hz and you're set. Some report better performance at 72Hz for film-based (Hollywood type movies) and 60Hz for video-based (TV movies type and anime) programs. I personally found 60Hz best for ALL movies. Only time you have to mess with HTPC aspect ratio is if you have an anamorphic lens which requires the 16:9 image to be stretched to fill entire 4:3 panel and lens will vertically squish (Panamorph) or horizontally expand (Isco I & II, Prismasonic) image back to 16:9. In this case you'd check "4:3 anamorphic ratio" on your software player. If you don't see this particular settting, you can play around with the differing ratio until image looks perfect to your eyes.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.