AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a Yamaha 200 dollar reciever. I didnt look at video inputs when buying and just concentrated on audio

Now I have 3 component inputs I want to plug into my tv however only 2 ports on the tv (you may have seen my other post about switchers)

Will the quality be the same if I return the Yamha reciever and get the Sony reciever (it has 2 component inputs and an output) as it would be if I were to go get one of those component switcher like the inday or the audio authority?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
niwi1038:

I would not do your switching through your $200 Yamaha. The concern is whether or not the bandwidth of the component video circuits in the receiver is sufficient to carry the signal - bad news if not. Also (aside from bandwidth concerns) there is a concern for what kind of noise running your video signal through will be generated by the receiver.

I certainly can't comment on the specific model, Yamaha or Sony, :D. I would think that either a receiver that has proven to have good component switching capability (go the the forum for receivers and ask there) or else use a proven component switcher.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I agree with mnilan, if the question is will it degrade my signal? the answer is: maybe, maybe not. I think you might have better chance of it not degrading the signal if you were using a bit higher end receiver. With a higher end receiver or switcher, I don't think you'd see any problems. That being said - you may not have problems with the receiver that you have now - you should give it a try and see. If you are satisfied with the output then I'd say you're in luck. It's nice to know what the other options are though, just so you're prepared.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It WILL degrade your signal, the signal is travelling further and going through more components.

Good thing is: it wont degrade very much at all, it degradation probably wont be visible.

I switch video and HD still looks good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.