AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm receiving Time Warner cable direct without STBs. I'm using ReplayTV recorders and can get clear QAM on two of my sets.

If I upgrade to Time Warner's Digital service with a single HDDVR at one set will I still be able to receive analog cable without a STB on the other lines? I don't want to lose my Replay units on the other two sets.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc15 /forum/post/18154854

I'm receiving Time Warner cable direct without STBs. I'm using ReplayTV recorders and can get clear QAM on two of my sets.

If I upgrade to Time Warner's Digital service with a single HDDVR at one set will I still be able to receive analog cable without a STB on the other lines? I don't want to lose my Replay units on the other two sets.

Thanks

yes

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge /forum/post/18157160

Do you have QAM tuners on the other sets, if so you will get the little analog still available and any digital that is in the clear.

Thanks guys, looks like it will work. I have QAM tuners and get basic and expanded cable service. I'd like to to keep that service on two small sets and set up the HDDVR on my Sony 52w5100 after I upgrade to digital.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put a second TV in the bedroom, had no built-in HD tuner. Wanted to put a second box to recieve Hd stations, Comcast wants $14.00/month, can I not buy my own box, and pay them for the signal?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by durkinjt /forum/post/18158646

I just put a second TV in the bedroom, had no built-in HD tuner. Wanted to put a second box to recieve Hd stations, Comcast wants $14.00/month, can I not buy my own box, and pay them for the signal?

If you just want local channels, you can get something with a QAM tuner and that will tune some channels. DVD recorder (standard def only), TiVo, Moxi DVR, a few other standalones. Then you just run a scan and see what channels you get. They'll probably be the networks, and maybe Discovery channel, PBS, depending on what your local Comcast office has decided to send "in the clear." But yes, that you can just pay for the signal.

If you want channels Comcast has encrypted, you need at least one of their cableCARDs (and something like a TiVo to hold the card) or rent a cable box.

Comcast does not sell cable boxes. The cable box makers (Motorola, Cisco, etc.) do not sell to individuals. Buying a cable box off of eBay is a great way to have a doorstop and nothing else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.