AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current AVR (Denon 4802R) has 7.1 analog in but it seems if I am reading the manual correctly that if I use them it bypasses everything. (audio delay, ability to set the levels of the fronts, surrounds, center etc.)

Do I do that in the BluRay player? (watiting for the Sony 550)

If that is the case what is the issue about setting the bass from the player that everyone talks about and I don't fully understand?

If you cannot set the speaker levels from the player then the analog in on my receiver is of no use.

I was hoping not to have to buy a new AVR but I am not sure what I will have will work.

Thanks

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
"Do I do that in the BluRay player? (watiting for the Sony 550)"

Yes

"If that is the case what is the issue about setting the bass from the player that everyone talks about and I don't fully understand?"

The analog multi-channel connection is what I consider an advanced connection, be patient in getting eveyrthing working correctly, inculding but not exclusively related to LFE and low end freq's below the cross of the subwoofer.

"If you cannot set the speaker levels from the player then the analog in on my receiver is of no use."

If the HD Media Player has decoders and analog multi-channel output it will have a way to set speaker levels. Not all have distance though admittedly.

I can't stress enough on how this is an advanced connection, often best left to audiphile types. The connection has proved to much for most average consumers. If you have never used them for SACDS / DVD-Audo media then expect lots of frustrations getting it to work at it's optimal performance.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks John,

I am certainly not experienced in setting this up and consider just giving up on the high def audio and going with dig coax out. But I sure would like to take advantage of the audio since my receiver would allow it. Just don't have the money for a new AVR at this time

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You may also look into whether the Denon 4802R allows the analog inputs to be reconverted into the digital domain. Once back into the digital domain all your standard capabilities are available again.

I have the Denon 5803 which allows this. I'm not sure when Denon started including this feature and if it is in yours.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
If you would be happy with a brand other than Denon, the Onkyo 606 (and higher) can decode the uncompressed/lossless audio codecs through HDMI and can be bought for around $400. Then you could buy the Sony 350 for about $100 less than the 550.

Just throwing this out as a option, but I certainly understand working with tight budgets.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithb /forum/post/14244471

You may also look into whether the Denon 4802R allows the analog inputs to be reconverted into the digital domain. Once back into the digital domain all your standard capabilities are available again.

I have the Denon 5803 which allows this. I'm not sure when Denon started including this feature and if it is in yours.

It appears not the case. The manual says once the Ext In is selected it outputs directly to the speakers bypassing the surround circuity

so I will explore the 550 and see if it allows setting up the speakers

·
Registered
8,984 Posts
Analog connectivity is not rocket science and most of the new players are actually rather thin on player set-ups anyway.

1. Run 8 analog audio cables from the player outputs to the matching inputs on the receiver. (FL to FL, C to C, SW to SW, and so on)

2. Tell the player whether you are using large or small speakers. Most players don't have any options for mixing large and small speakers or for setting crossovers. So, there's one setting - large or small all around - and that's it.

3. If the player allows for distance/delay settings when all your speakers are not equidistant from the main listening position, set those values. That's pretty simple. The manual will have informatioin about what values to set.

4. On the AVR, add a +10db gain for the subwoofer if you are using large speakers, +15db if your speakers are set to small. LFE is recorded -10db in relation to the other channels and needs to be boosted back up. Denon receivers allow you to boost the sub on the external inputs by 0db, +5db, +10db, and +15db.

5. Use an SPL meter to set the channel levels. Or not, if the channels sound balanced to your ear.

That's it. A bit of a pain, I guess, but no worse that the original set up of your AVR. Depending on your rack, the biggest hassle is running all those analog cables.

·
Registered
632 Posts
If you're not all that experienced in 8ch analog setup, I'm assuming you are not using it on your current receiver. If there are no other unique features of this model that you feel you need, I'd consider ebaying it and upgrading. You should be able to get $200-$300 for it and then grab a newer Onkyo (605 or 805) for not much more than that. Then you can buy a less expensive BD player that does not need to have 8ch analog outputs, such as the S350, PS3, etc.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all, I might be hardheaded but I am going to try to use the current AVR as it has given me no trouble yet. If I can boost the bass on the external imputs as suggested I should be ok

·
Registered
610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_0673 /forum/post/14273412

thanks all, I might be hardheaded but I am going to try to use the current AVR as it has given me no trouble yet. If I can boost the bass on the external imputs as suggested I should be ok

I have an 8-year old Denon 3300 connected via 5.1 analog to a Samsung P1400 and it works fine, except no DTS HD-MA, just the "core." I set my system up last September and it took me a long time to figure out how to correctly set the LFE level - a lot of reading. Another problem that I had was that it took me forever to figure out how to set the analog input levels different than the master level settings; you do not want to mess-up your other input level settings! The manual was not clear on this at all.

The analog 5.1 input does bypass the Denon's DACs so no bass management. The P1400 is limited to to being able to set the speaker sizes only - no distance setting capability. Just have to live with that limitation.....

Follow BIslander's post and you should be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts