AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If my music or Movie is too loud your too old, do you agree or not.

I have actually blown a few speakers and sent my receiver into overload three or four times, playing music, but on TV I can nearly max it out (it gets overbearing having four tweeters aiming at you).

the system can be heard outside.

I get excited when there's loud music

I really don't blast it too loud, although I did watch MI III really loud and it made my parent s loud they said they xouldnt hear thier tv but I could hear thiers when I went into the living room.

enough about me and my stupidity but are you older people really a hater of "loud" Music, that can't be right, Anybody over 39 listen REALLY loud?

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Us old folks probably think your music and taste in movies suck especially since we're supporting you with our money. We look forward to your getting a job and finally moving out.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straybeat /forum/post/15429540

Naw, after playing hard rock guitar for 41 years and setting my own record of having people call the cops from 6 blocks away, you couldn't possibly be loud enough? :)
Electric guitar sounds better the louder you play it, there's nothing like having the metal gods shine upon you witht hier greatness as you play "Crazy train" at volume 11.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
I probably listened to stuff at lower volume in my teens than some middle-aged AVS types do now.

It's all about personal preference.

·
Registered
635 Posts
If it's too loud it's just too loud. If you've never experienced too loud, then maybe you need better amps.

Also, loud electric guitar only sounds good if the person playing it can actually play. When I was in college I lived above a guy who thought he was Randy Rhoads, and I can assure you that the intro to "Crazy Train" at volume 11 and somewhere around 3/4 speed can incite violence after about the tenth repeat.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm not over 39, but to me it depends on your taste in music and the mood you're in.

I can listen to certain loud music at certain times.

I wouldn't enjoy any arbitrary music at any given time.

If you like very loud but live at someone else's house you should get headphones.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM407 /forum/post/15433317

If it's too loud it's just too loud. If you've never experienced too loud, then maybe you need better amps.

Also, loud electric guitar only sounds good if the person playing it can actually play. When I was in college I lived above a guy who thought he was Randy Rhoads, and I can assure you that the intro to "Crazy Train" at volume 11 and somewhere around 3/4 speed can incite violence after about the tenth repeat.

I bet that was a bad aural experience.

As for too loud My HT system has gotten too loud I wanted to go louder, to see if I could stand it but the impedance dipped and the receiver shut down and came back to a more reasonable volume after sitting for 30 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD- /forum/post/15433746

I'm not over 39, but to me it depends on your taste in music and the mood you're in.

I can listen to certain loud music at certain times.

I wouldn't enjoy any arbitrary music at any given time.

If you like very loud but live at someone else's house you should get headphones.

I do have headphones and I do live in my parents house. I hope the next house we get has a back room or a basement so I can peel the paint off the walls.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/15429344

I have actually blown a few speakers and sent my receiver into overload three or four times, playing music, but on TV I can nearly max it out (it gets overbearing having four tweeters aiming at you).

the system can be heard outside.

I get excited when there's loud music

I really don't blast it too loud, although I did watch MI III really loud and it made my parent s loud they said they xouldnt hear thier tv but I could hear thiers when I went into the living room.

enough about me and my stupidity but are you older people really a hater of "loud" Music, that can't be right, Anybody over 39 listen REALLY loud?

Good luck with your hearing.

I am quite young and I disagree 100%. It also sounds like you're doing quite a number blowing up speakers and generally making your system stupidly loud and distorted which is guaranteed to sound horrible.

Maybe if you turned down the music a little bit you could think straight enough to spell words halfway decently.

·
Registered
5,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/15429344

Could be, or maybe you're just being a thoughtless jerk. In other words, 'too young'.

Btw, I play stuff loud too..when I know no one's home downstairs. I still like going to rock concerts too, and playing in rock bands. I'm well past 40.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
What is it about loud music that is so much more exhilarating than music played at a lower volume? Why do we respond more positively to it? At least for those of this who buy the premise that loud music can be more exciting or compelling.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions /forum/post/15435655

What is it about loud music that is so much more exhilarating than music played at a lower volume? Why do we respond more positively to it? At least for those of this who buy the premise that loud music can be more exciting or compelling.

Who knows? I suspect there is a visceral component once loudness reaches levels sufficient to cause us to feel the music bounce off our chests and in our feet through the floor, etc. It is exhilarating, as you note. Of course, the flip side is if you hate the music being played loud, that visceral component just becomes obnoxious. For instance, this is why I stopped going to Best Buy years ago. Every time I entered, some obnoxious prick was making the car subwoofers go thump thump thump with rap and it just about knocked me down. I couldn't wait to leave and I stopped shopping there altogether.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
..... Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will2007 /forum/post/15435782

Of course, the flip side is if you hate the music being played loud, that visceral component just becomes obnoxious.

Right. It's problematic, isn't it? The music we love is often unfamiliar to or disliked by those within earshot and so playing it loud, that which gives us much pleasure, alternately, is an abomination to them.

So it's either headphones/earbuds or move out into the wilderness where you can blast all you want with no one to upset apart from those bears who won't be able to enjoy the symphonic sound of their own farts in peace.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions /forum/post/15436161

..... Hello!

So it's either headphones/earbuds or move out into the wilderness where you can blast all you want with no one to upset apart from those bears who won't be able to enjoy the symphonic sound of their own farts in peace.

IMO, what is just as annoying, maybe even more so, is that cursed sound that leaks from someone's earbuds/headphones that are cranked up to about 200 decibels.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Listening to music at extreme volumes constantly is bad for your hearing Leggs. Don't be so quick to make fun of us old people who chose to listen to music at reasonable volume levels most of the time because when I'm 40 years old, I won't need a hearing aid like you will. I wouldn't want that if I were you. I don't think hearing aids are designed for high fidelity.

By the way, making your parents miserable isn't impressive. I used to do the exact same thing when I lived at home with my first boom box.
Quote:

And you're bragging about this because.......?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.