AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have never seen the lt150 in action, but just out of curiosity, if that unit is good, how do the more expensive NEC projectors fare?

I realize sometimes companies will get one series right, and the others may not be up to snuff.

Like I said, Just curious.

Johnny

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
NEC makes outstanding projectors for the price. I believe most of their projectors are good performers. NEC doesn't make the best projectors, just several of the best projectors at their price level. At Dell's prices it was just an absolute steal, which is the real reason people were excited about it. Sanyo, Sharp, and Mits make better digital projectors if you don't mind spending more.

·
Registered
846 Posts
At infocomm, I wasn't impressed with the higher end NEC projectors. However, the plasma was simply amazing.

In my opinion, the LT150 wins against the Sanyo projectors. That is, if you can deal with the lower light output and are not susceptible to rainbows.

--Les

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I generally prefer the Infocus machines for their video processing. The new Infocus LP530 uses the Sage/Faroudja chip.

The thing about the NEC LT150 is that it has very good contrast and very good color processing. I think their "Vortex" video processing is OK but the Infocus processing is better.

At $2600, the NEC LT150 is probably the best current deal for an HT machine. Obviously, at $1700 last week, it was a steal. But I would still consider it for 2600.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow:
In my opinion, the LT150 wins against the Sanyo projectors. That is, if you can deal with the lower light output and are not susceptible to rainbows.

--Les
The problem with Sanyo is they don't consider the XP21N a home theater projector. They only show the PLV-60 at shows when the XP21N is better in a number of areas.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I tested the XP21N against the LT150 and I felt the LT150 won in black level, contrast, screen door, and overall picture quality. The XP21N was much brighter, and had a much better remote.

--Les

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Quote:
I tested the XP21N against the LT150 and I felt the LT150 won in black level, contrast, screen door, and overall picture quality. The XP21N was much brighter, and had a much better remote.

--Les
It also depends on the setup. The Sanyo looks best on a Greyhawk, the LT150 looks best on a high power screen. Comparing projectors is tough because very few have them set up optimally. Hopefully Dell will come through with the LT150 so I can compare myself. I really like the brightness of the Sanyo, and the colors appear great.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Quote:

--Les

Is the LT 150 on a GrawHawk with ambient light watchable?

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
846 Posts
I tested the XP21N and LT150 (and Infocus LP350 for that matter) on a Grayhawk ultimate 4-way with an HTPC. My conclusions are based on that setup.

Walter...I'd say for talking head shows, it's watchable enough. For sports, movies, and Survivor (or fill in your favorite TV drama here) forget it.

I will be trying to stack the LT150s as soon as they arrive and will be sure to report back my experiences.

--Les

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.