Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Sony Qualia or a G90.

Here is a link for the Qualia for those who are not familiar with it.

I'm limiting the choice to prove a point.

Please state which one and why.

Thanks,

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
G 90 all the way.

I'm still of the opinion that all digitals are completely disposable. THe only reason that the Qualia might be repairable is the high original purchase price. I think at $23K or whatever they are going for, in 4000 hours from now (and out of warranty), any repair depot will justify a $2K power supply repair, quoting the original purchase price as the reason for the $2K repair.

It's the same in audio gear. Buy a $150.00 Denon CD player, and it's a throwaway. Buy the same laser and mechanism in a $800.00 dual CD player designed for DJ use, and people don't bat an eye when they spend $200.00 to get that unit repaired.

Side by side, the G 90 will cost less per hour to run.

Mind you, if you're spending full retail on either machine, I don't think you're looking at a BUDGET to run the unit..:)

Curt

PS: post the same question in the digital forums, it will be interesting to see if the vote gets skewed differently.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see that a few people have voted but only Curt told me why. If you vote please post what you chose and why.

Thanks guys....

Curt, I'm sure that this poll would have very different results in the Digital forum.

We'll see how this one goes first.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
What I would really like to know is why people spend insane amounts of money on HT.

Sure, I understand that if you make killer coin, then there's usually no budget, and sure, I too would like to drive and own a Porsche 930, but that's not in the cards in this lifetime.

I think that 99% of the people here and in the digital forums set up an HT system not only for enjoyment, but as possibly some sort of investment. If that if your home is sold with an HT in it, the value of the house goes up, and the money you save by not going to the movies pays for part of what you've spent.

Perhaps more so here than in the digital forums however, people appreciate that they've got a projector for pennies on the original retail dollar, thus they've gotten a relative bargain.

I'm sure that I speak for most here that if a used or surplus market did not exist to pick up a projector from, they'd be watching a 32" TV.

(Sorry, a bit of a thread hijack, but it's sort of related, isn't it?)

Curt

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Qualia. Up until last night I probably would have said the G90, but i'm fed up with CRTs. I'm getting damn close to just wanting a simple machine. Easy of use keeps increasing up on my list of importance. But i'm just bitter from frustration with my CRT right now. Maybe I shouldn't vote when i'm angry :)

·
Registered
JVC RS40, Pioneer Elite Receiver, B&W Atmos in ceiling. Draper Onyx.
658 Posts
Hard question to answer considering I have never seen 9 incher in action. Based on what's been tossed around the forum I would have to go with G90 or Elect 9500LC with mods.

If money really wasn't an issue......I'd buy the Regal Cinema down the street. :)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Reasons why.

1. I get a hell of alot of enjoyment out of the actual process that you can go through in setting up the PJ, tweaking it and modding it.

2. ON/OFF black, there is no getting away form it, once you seen it done to the fullest extent (Black theater, Black velvet everywhere) you will put that right at the top of the list of things to have.

3. There is going to be something better then the Qualia (besides the G90) real soon, so what to do? Trade it in, suffer with a lesser digital PJ.

4. Image that can be enjoyed from almost any distance. My wife likes me to lay down in front of the screen with here closer then the screen is wide.

5. Tube life. If I had the Qualia I would be counting and rationing every hour. With the G90 I would have the PJ set up so the tubes would last tens of thousands of hours and not worry.

6. With the G90 I would have no problem getting into the internals to tweak or modifly things, knowing I could fix it.

7. With the Qualia I would be dreading the day it broke down, knowing that it could be sitting on someones work bench, waiting for parts that are no longer available, not worth fixing because the parts are a fortune, why bother fixing it when it is outdated, not worth fixing because a new one is less then what it would cost to fix...

8. Worried that I could come home one night and find the house broke into and my $30,000.00 PJ gone!

Deron.

·
Registered
6,140 Posts
"insane amounts of money on HT"

I'm pretty much expected to match dollar for dollar my HT expenses with her highness in order to keep the peace. Anyone else in the same boat?

Chip

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Quote:
Knowing how they recycle digitals Id have to go with what I respected more for endurance and quality.
Well Deron made a lot of good points, but WOW, Doug had really hit onto something, respect. How can you respect something that was made to be thrown away? you look at a 200 pound CRT monster with all the machined alum. parts and all the modular boards and you can plainly see it was something meant to last for generations. This is something you can respect, although it's not possible for everyone to do in a Mcdonalds consumer society.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
G90 in a heartbeat. Why? Because I've seen a calibrated Qualia and I don't think it produces a better overall image than the G90.

With that being said I think your poll is flawed. I know you limited it to the 2 projectors for a reason but if money were really no object then I would be buying 2 Chris Stephens modified 9500's. IMHO that would produce a picture that no digital would come close to. Also, why is everyone so fixated on the G90. Again just my opinion but I wouldn't consider it the best 9" CRT. If I had the choice I would probably take a Barco Cine9 or the previously mentioned 9500 over a G90.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
It is very interesting how a few key people posting about a set sways the whole CRT community and people looking for sets.

That's happened very distinctly with the G 70, I've got a line up around the block waiting for those.

I am overstocked on Marquees now, can someone post how wonderful they are?..;)

Curt

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curt Palme
I am overstocked on Marquees now, can someone post how wonderful they are?..;)

Curt
I would be glad to post a glowing review of a 9500 if you want to send me one :).

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I would chose neither. Since I already am enjoying an MP modified 9500LC, I'm getting one of the best pictures currently available. I would be interested in changing when a 1080 LCOS projector can reach 8500:1 on/off, and 700 (or so) ANSI contrast. The current situation is a trade off of improvements and flaws, I'll change when I can just realize improvements.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
G90!:D

I've spent time watching them both. The g90 produces the most filmlike theater expierence i have seen. It's really wonderful. The Qualia is nice, but it's no g90.

Just as an aside if money was no object i could easily spend a quarter Mil on a HT.

2. G90's

7 Krell Master Reference Amplifiers

1 Levinson 31.5 Digital reference transport

1 Levinson #40 Media Console

1Pr Wilson X-1 Grand Slamm

5 Wilson Puppy w/ Center.

To me it's only money. You cant take it w/ you, you cant eat it!

:)

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not trying to say that the Qualia is the best that Digital has to offer, and that the G90 is the best that CRT has to offer. I'm setting up this poll to prove that given a choice between a "G90 or Qualia" ...there are still many people out there that would jump all over the G90. Money is no object because most of us can't afford either PJ, I didn't want money to be part of the equation.

No big deal... I think I've already proved my point.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Interesting poll.

I chose the G90. I've never seen one in action, but I do have a 9500. Unfortunately I've never seen the Qualia either (missed at at CEDIA last year). I'm pretty sure however that I would be pleased with the image from the Qualia.

I chose the the G90 for reasons mentioned above. If the Qualia fails, I'm dead in the water. If, for example, my 9500 fails, I drag out the schematics and a scope and find out what the problem is. I'm not powerless to repair it. The same argument may not hold for the G90 (ie. can you even get schematics?) but even if I couldn't get schematics and parts were difficult to get, I trust it more to last longer.

Cary

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
I think if a digital were available for $20k that was as good as a G90 or 9500, we would hear about it in droves. Till then, I won't even tempt my "make believe" $20k budget by thinking digital. :)

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.