AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you buy if money were no object and you could get any projector you wanted? We currently have an Electrohome Marquee 9500LC that is beginning to get tired. The image is only ok, and then only if you are right in front. The view from even a few degrees right or left and it is just a hot spot with dark around it. Go to the far edge and the image can barely be seen.

Our criteria is:

Board type room with in-wall screen and room behind the wall for the projector (the projector must be able to mirror the image for rear screen projection, any good one will do this)

Good viewing angle

The current screen is 4:3 but we can change that if need be

We can get, and probably should get, new screen material (Grayhawk or some other suggestion?)

It gets used for a lot of power point presentations so there must be at least 1024x768 computer resolution

It gets used for a lot of video-conferences

We can, and my, slap a iScan in there for the video sources

The viewing room is fairly bright and will stay that way so the projector needs to pump out the lumens

High contrast ratio

I personally like DLPs (I own a Sony KLW-7000 and love it) but for this application neither size, noise or heat are limiting so I will take whatever works best.

thanks...mk

------------------

marshal

· Registered
61 Posts
I would buy the IMAX theater at Sony Lincoln Square. If I could get the whole building, I would also then have their THX theater as well.

And then, to ensure that I get pristine prints, I would be Columbia pictures, Paramount, and Fox so that I always get to see my pictures on unused film stock.

Of course, that's if money were no object...

If you think that that is unrealistic, then maybe you should tell us at what level you think money does become an object... Some of us (not me, unfortunately) can afford what I listed above. Bill Gates is probably one of them.

------------------

Brian

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so money is kind of an object. While we could afford Lincoln Square I don't think I can get our Executive Director to approve the purchase. Something in the $30 to $60k range is what I had in mind for the projector, plus the cost of the doubler (or quadrupler).

The goal is good viewing angle, bright and good support for computer based images and video (NTSC and S).

------------------

marshal

· Registered
61 Posts
My guess is that most people would recommend the JVC G20U. Unfortunately, I'm just beginning to get involved in buying a front projector even though I've been lurking on various forums for about a year. As such, I'm not really qualified to say what would be best for your setup.

------------------

Brian

· Registered
1,160 Posts
A calibrated G20 combined with a HTPC and Grayhawk would be great, and well under $20K.

You could spend more money on a 3-chip 1280 native DLP FPTV, but I'mnot sure that it would look much(if any) better.

And since you are already setup for a CRT FPTV, you should also consider a Sony G90.

-Dean.

· Registered
835 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it sounds like you're running a rear-projection setup?

I can't really comment on higher-end projectors, but the G20 is not bad with unbeatable resolution (maybe the NEC projectors with the DC circuit? Don't know too much about them though).

For screens you might consider a low gain diffusion rear-projection screen, but the ambient light rejection is not as good as a lensed screen. If you need good ambient light rejection (and not just high brightness) you might consider a DNP rear-screen or the Stewart Blackhawk. I think both work on the same principle, with black stripes embedded in the screen and small lense-like light pipes. That should give you excellent ambient light rejection and good gain and viewing angle characteristics. This approach can reduce image definition and resolution because of the size of the light pipes, but it shouldn't be a problem on a larger screen. The advantage is that the blacks will remain excellent even with a great deal of ambient light, unlike just adding more brightness which just brings the light level up hoping to hide the influence of ambient light.

I don't think there is anything like the Greyhawk for rear-projection though.

Regards,

Kam Fung

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I am now looking seriously at the JVC G20. We use it in an RP mode. My biggest concern is the viewing angle, which is currently terrible with our 9500LC and current screen. What should I look for/worry about on the screen in terms of the ribbing and such to ensure maximum viewing angle?

------------------

marshal

· Registered
411 Posts
The JVC G20 is less than 2,000 real world lumens. I suggest this Sanyo times 2.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=1105

You can use two of these stacked, which have a street price of 15k each, for a total of over 7,000 blazing lumens. You can get a short throw lens if that is what you desire, and it has a 500:1 contrast ratio out of the box and SXGA resolution. The built in scaler is excellent and it has direct digital inputs. I am not sure if it has MLA (Micro-Lens Array) or not, but I think it does. If it does then the screen door issue would be greatly reduced.

http://www.sanyolcd.com/products/plc-ef12n_nl.html

http://www.sanyolcd.com/products/plc-ef12n_nlspecs.html

"PLC-EF12NL Same features as PLC-EF12N except unit is shipped without a lens. Purchaser can select from a variety of optional lenses."

Christopher

[This message has been edited by Christopher Calder (edited 04-23-2001).]

· Registered
3,029 Posts
"While we could afford Lincoln Square I don't think I can get our Executive Director to approve the purchase."

Hmmm. We're talking Broadway at 67/68th, across the street from Lincoln Center, one of the prime pieces of The Millenium Group"s real estate holdings. $250,000,000 might not get it done.

That's some company in Juneau that you have, marshalk! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bpaulsen:
I would buy the IMAX theater at Sony Lincoln Square. ...

Of course, that's if money were no object...

...Some of us (not me, unfortunately) can afford what I listed above. Bill Gates is probably one of them.
Don't forget Paul Allen - he bought the Seattle Cinerama and restored it... does that make it his 'Home Theatre'? If so, then the Experience Music Project must be his 'Audio System'.

btw, Paul's Cinerama uses flatscreen (plasma?) displays instead of posters in frames.

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation ( www.apfc.org ) currently has assets of about 25 or 26 billion dollars, depending on how the market did today. A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon it adds up to real money. We actually have at least one real estate holding (Tyson Center near DC) that exceeds Lincoln Square, if that value of 250 million is about right. Either way, it would be a bit much for a board room where we need a video conference/presentation display.

Our screen is about 6 feet across, with a projection room behind it. The other option instead of a projector would be a plasma display but the ones I have seen have not impressed me.

------------------

marshal

· Registered
1,160 Posts
It seems to me that 2000 lumens provides a good deal more light output than the 9500LC which probably looked fine in an RP configuration when it's CRTs were fresh, and that 7000 lumens is total overkill on a screen smaller than 40' wide.

-Dean.

· Registered
411 Posts
"Our screen is about 6 feet across, with a projection room behind it."

---------------------------

If your screen is that small than anything more than a JVC G15 would be a complete waste of money. You can get them with a 1:1 short throw lens that would be perfect for you.

Christopher

· Registered
1,160 Posts
Paulo,

I think that Alan previously said that the 1280 capable 3-chip DLP FPTV (the VX-5) was just an OEM of NECs DLP FPTV at twice the price ($85K), and their other models are limited to 1024 X 768 resolution.

-Dean.

· Registered
3,667 Posts
Get the new DILA M20 with a short throw lens. Nothing wrong with a few extra lumens. In worst case you can calibrate them out.

------------------

Ken Elliott

· Registered
3,725 Posts
The JVC M20 puts out considerably more light than the Marquee. This should allow you to use a low gain screen, which will increase your viewing angle.

SM

[This message has been edited by Swampfox (edited 04-24-2001).]

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.