AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to get Sony X950G TV which has eARC HDMI port and very good Android TV, which in this case, I suppose I can play Dolby Atmos contents (for example) directly from TV Apps.

But do I need my AVR HDMI Output (the port that goes to the TV) to be eARC HDMI port too?

The AVR is Denon X1500H which does not have eARC HDMI port according to the specs.

Setup:
5.1.2 Atmos --> Regular Speaker Wiring --> Denon X1500H --> HDMI --> Sony X950G

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To use eARC, both the TV and AVR must support it.

Sorry.
Thanks, three more questions please as I am really noob to AVRs:

Considering my setup as below:
PC (NVIDIA GTX970) --> HDMI --> AVR --> HDMI --> TV

1. If the AVR does not do 1080p up-scaling to 4K, but the TV do, will the 1080p picture coming from PC eventually get up-scaled to 4K by the TV?
  2. If the TV supports 1080p @ 120Hz, does the AVR need to support that as well (I couldn't find such specs in the AVR)? Or the AVR is simply pass-through the video signal as it is?
  3. Does AVR introduce any input lag?

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
1. Yes.
2. The manufacturers seem to not list that spec. However, since 1080p 120 needs a lower bandwidth than 2160p 60, I think that it's OK for 4k AVRs. (A quick web search finds that people have verified that on their own AVRs.)
3. I've not read any complaints by gamers. Passthrough isn't passive, so there must be at least a small delay.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Do you NEED it? No, not necessarily. Conventional HDMI-ARC can carry Dolby Digital Plus. I can’t remember pre-caffeine if DDP can include Atmos object-data information.

eARC is being rolled out to some AVRs via firmware updates, check if yours is due for an update and addition of this feature.

Addendum: as per Jdsmoothie, Dolby Digital Plus can carry Atmos information without eARC support.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in the same boat

I have a new LG C9 with eARC, but my old Denon receiver (AVR-2807) doesn't support eARC (or ARC for that matter).
So for now I'm using the optical output of the LG to my Denon for sound.
My old home theater setup had everything (cable box & Blu-ray player) going through the receiver.
With the new TVs, it made the most sense to me to have everything go through my TV and only the sound going to the receiver (via eARC).
That eliminates any issues with DRM and HDMI (LG has 2.1).
Also the upscaling of the TV to 4K is excellent and should be as good as better as anything a receiver manufacturer can do.

I'm going to have a 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup once I get a new receiver.
I'm leery of getting an existing receiver and firmware upgrade, so I'm waiting for the next models of receivers to come out before buying a new one.
I want to make sure my new receiver supports uncompressed Atmos format.

·
Premium Member
92,818 Posts
Do you NEED it? No, not necessarily. Conventional HDMI-ARC can carry Dolby Digital Plus. I can’t remember pre-caffeine if DDP can include Atmos object-data information.

eARC is being rolled out to some AVRs via firmware updates, check if yours is due for an update and addition of this feature.
1. Yes. Netflix currently passes Atmos via DD+ (not HD audio) using ARC.
2. eARC only featured on the X3500H and higher 2018 Denon models, so not on the Op's X1500H.

·
Premium Member
92,818 Posts
I have a new LG C9 with eARC, but my old Denon receiver (AVR-2807) doesn't support eARC (or ARC for that matter).
So for now I'm using the optical output of the LG to my Denon for sound.
My old home theater setup had everything (cable box & Blu-ray player) going through the receiver.
With the new TVs, it made the most sense to me to have everything go through my TV and only the sound going to the receiver (via eARC).
That eliminates any issues with DRM and HDMI (LG has 2.1).
Also the upscaling of the TV to 4K is excellent and should be as good as better as anything a receiver manufacturer can do.

I'm going to have a 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos setup once I get a new receiver.
I'm leery of getting an existing receiver and firmware upgrade, so I'm waiting for the next models of receivers to come out before buying a new one.
I want to make sure my new receiver supports uncompressed Atmos format.
1. Optical cannot pass DD+.
2. If the source does not pass through the AVR, then it is not possible to display the GUI/menu of the AVR.
3. Most 2019 models will feature eARC.
4. The audio source must bitstream Atmos audio which the AVR then decodes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. Optical cannot pass DD+.
2. If the source does not pass through the AVR, then it is not possible to display the GUI/menu of the AVR.
3. Most 2019 models will feature eARC.
4. The audio source must bitstream Atmos audio which the AVR then decodes.
Thanks for the quick response.
1) I know, I'm just using the optical output of the TV as a stop-gap until I buy a new receiver that supports eARC.
2) Right now I'm temporarily hooking up an external monitor to the AVR to do setup. The LG C9 has 4 HDMI inputs, so can use one of those as well.
I tried running my existing Samsung blu-ray player through my Denon 2807 and onto the TV. The upscaling was much worse than going directly from the Samsung to the TV.
3) That's good to know. I want one that has eARC built-in and can handle 7.1.2 channels of Atmos without compromise. I don't want DD+, I want uncompressed Dolby Atmos. I'm willing to wait.
Will that be supported in any of the 2019 AVRs?
4) I'll be buying a new 4k Blu-ray player or maybe wait for the new xBox Anaconda to play my 4k blu-rays. I want a player that can supply uncompressed Dolby Atmos sound.

·
Premium Member
92,818 Posts
Thanks for the quick response.
1) I know, I'm just using the optical output of the TV as a stop-gap until I buy a new receiver that supports eARC.
2) Right now I'm temporarily hooking up an external monitor to the AVR to do setup. The LG C9 has 4 HDMI inputs, so can use one of those as well.
I tried running my existing Samsung blu-ray player through my Denon 2807 and onto the TV. The upscaling was much worse than going directly from the Samsung to the TV.
3) That's good to know. I want one that has eARC built-in and can handle 7.1.2 channels of Atmos without compromise. I don't want DD+, I want uncompressed Dolby Atmos. I'm willing to wait.
Will that be supported in any of the 2019 AVRs?
4) I'll be buying a new 4k Blu-ray player or maybe wait for the new xBox Anaconda to play my 4k blu-rays. I want a player that can supply uncompressed Dolby Atmos sound.
3. Sources currently only provide compressed Atmos. Doubt that will change anytime in the next few years.
4. Not currently available nor likely to change anytime in the next few years.

·
Registered
12 Posts
3. Sources currently only provide compressed Atmos. Doubt that will change anytime in the next few years.
4. Not currently available nor likely to change anytime in the next few years.
3) So you're saying that no blu-ray disks have Dolby TrueHD sound?
4) How about the new Sony UBP-X1100ES?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Atmos audio is only provided via "compressed" audio. Dolby TrueHD is "compressed" audio.
I should have said "lossless".

I'm probably just going to wait for receivers that support HDMI 2.1 which I'm hoping will come out in 2020.
I'm sure there'll be lots of arguing about whether it's needed or not, but with LG coming out with HDMI 2.1 this year, other manufacturers are going to include that sooner rather than later to keep up.

·
Premium Member
92,818 Posts
I should have said "lossless".

I'm probably just going to wait for receivers that support HDMI 2.1 which I'm hoping will come out in 2020.
I'm sure there'll be lots of arguing about whether it's needed or not, but with LG coming out with HDMI 2.1 this year, other manufacturers are going to include that sooner rather than later to keep up.
AVRs have supported lossless audio for over 10 years. As already noted, eARC is required on both the TV and AVR to pass lossless audio from the TV to the AVR. The 2017/2018 9CH Denon X4400H/X4500H and Marantz SR6012/SR6013 and SR7012/SR7013 have eARC already installed. Additionally the Yamaha 2017/2018 9CH A2070/A2080 and A3070/A3080 are due to receive the update any day now.

·
Registered
8,840 Posts

Because the max bitrares of the lossless codecs can approach 25-30mbps you will likely never see that stream alongside video...

But even more importantly, from a production standpoint, you cannot edit lossless audio stream, while you can edit CBR lossy encodes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
To be clear, I'm not doubting for a moment that eARC is needed on both the TV and the receiver, but I do think it is really strange that this is the case. We know fairly standard TVs have been outputting Atmos and surround for years when you are running things like Netflix or Amazon video on the TV itself. The issue has always been the input bandwidth from external sources and the fact that the TV presents itself as a 2 channel device. We know that sources like 4k Blu-Ray players and gaming systems can output video and Atmos/surround audio over HDMI to a receiver. If the source already supports the combined signals, then eARC resolves the issues with the TV input side, and TVs are already capable of outputting surround via HDMI to a receiver without the use of eARC, it just seems bizarre that the receiver needs anything special. It makes me think that eARC is either an overly convoluted solution or that there is some more advanced use case that it is trying to solve for, beyond simply passing surround through the TV. Is there anything obvious I'm missing here?

·
Premium Member
92,818 Posts
To be clear, I'm not doubting for a moment that eARC is needed on both the TV and the receiver, but I do think it is really strange that this is the case. We know fairly standard TVs have been outputting Atmos and surround for years when you are running things like Netflix or Amazon video on the TV itself. The issue has always been the input bandwidth from external sources and the fact that the TV presents itself as a 2 channel device. We know that sources like 4k Blu-Ray players and gaming systems can output video and Atmos/surround audio over HDMI to a receiver. If the source already supports the combined signals, then eARC resolves the issues with the TV input side, and TVs are already capable of outputting surround via HDMI to a receiver without the use of eARC, it just seems bizarre that the receiver needs anything special. It makes me think that eARC is either an overly convoluted solution or that there is some more advanced use case that it is trying to solve for, beyond simply passing surround through the TV. Is there anything obvious I'm missing here?
TVs are currently only capable of passing non-HD audio (ie. DD+(Atmos)) via ARC.

·
Registered
11 Posts
TVs are currently only capable of passing non-HD audio (ie. DD+(Atmos)) via ARC.
I think I'm missing some nuance in what you are saying. For simplicity, I'll focus on Atmos. An LG C7 will output Atmos from Netflix to my receiver, so we know it is capable of outputting Atmos. The TV will not, however, accept an external atmos input and pass it to the receiver through that same connection. I understand this to be a limitation of ARC. The TV also presents itself as a 2 channel device to a PC, for example. I had assumed eARC was simply a matter of bolstering that pass-through in the TV so that the TV would present itself as a surround capable device (not 2 channel) to external input devices and would have enough "juice" (bandwidth, processing, whatever ARC is lacking) to pass that full surround signal over to the receiver.

So should I take your answer as a clarification about the limitations of ARC that I've already expressed? My understanding has been that ARC will not pass Atmos and that is what eARC was meant to address.

Or are you saying that eARC is actually meant to address the passing of signals even more data-dense than Atmos and that I'm incorrect in saying that ARC can't pass Atmos?

If ARC can't pass atmos and eARC is meant to address that, I still don't see why the receiver needs to be eARC compatible if TVs can already output Atmos to receivers today (they just can't pass it through an external device).

·
Registered
7,007 Posts
I think I'm missing some nuance in what you are saying. For simplicity, I'll focus on Atmos. An LG C7 will output Atmos from Netflix to my receiver, so we know it is capable of outputting Atmos. The TV will not, however, accept an external atmos input and pass it to the receiver through that same connection. I understand this to be a limitation of ARC. The TV also presents itself as a 2 channel device to a PC, for example. I had assumed eARC was simply a matter of bolstering that pass-through in the TV so that the TV would present itself as a surround capable device (not 2 channel) to external input devices and would have enough "juice" (bandwidth, processing, whatever ARC is lacking) to pass that full surround signal over to the receiver.

So should I take your answer as a clarification about the limitations of ARC that I've already expressed? My understanding has been that ARC will not pass Atmos and that is what eARC was meant to address.

Or are you saying that eARC is actually meant to address the passing of signals even more data-dense than Atmos and that I'm incorrect in saying that ARC can't pass Atmos?

If ARC can't pass atmos and eARC is meant to address that, I still don't see why the receiver needs to be eARC compatible if TVs can already output Atmos to receivers today (they just can't pass it through an external device).
The Atmos signal that some TVs can pass in a DD+ wrapper is compressed. ARC has a data rate limitation. I don't recall the numbers.

Regular bitstreamed Atmos (as from a UHD Bluray disk) requires a data rate beyond what ARC provides. eARC is supposed to give that higher bandwidth.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts