AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the new 1280*720 DLP cost arround $10.000 it will be better to buy a D-iLA wich is full PCfriendly at the same price.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Because they are ugly, noisy, poor contrast?

Anyway I don't see anything PCUNfriendly about the Sharp, did you not see the pictures of it running at 1280x720 from a PC?

Jeff

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Smitty - Great post! I was wondering what you were talking about...then I got it <LOL>.

My take:

--------------------------------------

A D-ILA is noisier than most DLPs. It runs hotter, so it requires a more powerful fan (hence the noise). The case is probably not the most beautiful available (at least on the non-HT projectors like the G15).

Still, my next projector will definitely be a calibrated G15 (D-ILA). For me, It's all about the picture. If you have a dedicated home theater, and are willing to use a hush box, the non-image issues are irrelevant.

D-ILA has no spinning wheels (no rainbows), a full spectrum Xenon bulb (beutiful daylight-matching colors), perfect 1:1 pixel mapping, 3 real primary colors (3-chip architecture), SXGA+ resolution, 93% fill factor, adjustable gamma ramps, etc...

While the picture is still tough to beat (the G15 is referred to as the "reference projector that all others are to be compared to" by Jeff McNeal of the Big Picture), you do need to think about if the non-image related issues will affect you, though. See my signature for one way to address that.

Everything is getting quite good lately, and I would expect that anything at the $10K price point will be exceptional! I hear great things about many of the single-chip DLPs coming out lately. However, for that kind of money, I personally would not be interested in having my color generated by a spinning color wheel.

Mark Hunter

D-ILA Owner.

See pictures of my Home Theater: www.theaterphile.com

[This message has been edited by milori (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
A compelling question, that is most likely based around usability, aesthetics, ease of installation, native 16:9 capability, size, heat output, absolute need for professional installation/software calibration, cost/hr, lack of keystone (optical) correction (sharp), work required to mate a native 4:3 projector with widescreens.

If the G11 was still being produced, I believe many more D-ILA's would be sold.

All coming from a D_ila owner.

No projector can put more pixels on the screen with a than a D-ILA with a panamorph. With used G1000's below 5000 dollars, this combination is unbeatable if you have a time and ability to put this together.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 09-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Jeff,

Loud. Yes. Ugly. Sure. I do spend most of my HT time looking at the screen, however. None of these things is a piece of art. Hot. You forgot "hot." Now let us get to "poor contrast." Had you said, "difficult to set up," or something like that I would concur. When properly adjusted and fed with a great signal the D-ILA just blows away eveything in its price class. HD shown with a D-ILA is far better than that shown on a DLP. I know that my G15 has many drawbacks but the picture is not one of them. Art

[This message has been edited by Art Lloyd (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
846 Posts
The list price for the calibrated G150T is 18k and I believe that is without a lens. TS set the expectation that there would be little or no discounting on the street on this unit at Infocomm.

There are reports here at AVS that the Sharp 9000 can be picked up retail at less than 8k.

The NEC LT150 DLP that has been getting positive reviews is about 2k.

A used G1000 will run about 4k off of Ebay. But I don't know how that compares overall to the lower cost NEC or the higher cost Sharp.

So basically, the playing field is far from being equal as your subject seemed to indicate.

--Les

·
Registered
6,525 Posts
How exactly is the Sharp not PC friendly?

Is it like the Sony 10 HT in that it won't do 1:1 pixel mapping at user-selectable refresh rates? Is one forced to "fake" an HDTV signal via the RGB input using an HTPC?

Someone please explain...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I disagree that a G-11 is ugly.

Loud, yes. Bulky, yes. Maybe not a piece of art, but definitely not ugly.

And during the winter, the exhaust feels great when I prop my feet up beside it. I actually have the ottoman set just for that http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

And once I get optimagery, the picture should be even better.

BTW if there are any vacant spots for dilard/optimagery beta testers, I'm available.(Mark, hint! hint!)

SP

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
As most of us here have posted, there are many differences to these 2 types of projectors. There is no clear cut winner (as an unbiased source-we deal with both). http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif It all really depends on your situation. For some, the lower cost of running as well as the lower fan noise and heat may be more important on a DLP. For others, the brighter image and higher resolution may be more important on a D-ila. Basically there is no right answer. It is very much a personal preference decision.

Thanks!

------------------

Jason Turk

AV Science, Inc.
http://www.avscience.com

716-454-1460 ext.204

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I won't contest the bulb cost/life of the D-ILAs, but the fan noise is easily silenced with a hushbox, and heat issues would only affect a small room with poor ventilation.

FPTVs are functional displays, and mostly ceiling mounted.

I think that the GXX series many not look as curvy as the newer models, but that has to be pretty low on the priority list for true HT enthusiasts.

The new 16:9 DLP FPTVs are indeed nice, and competitive in many ways, but there still are advantages to the D-ILA FPTVs if you do some tweaking.

Sure, calibration and an external scaler (and 16:9 lens) are important for the D-ILA, but these actually provide more flexibility if you have the budget, and want the best looking picture that you can get.

Some people prefer not to have to touch/tweak the display at all, and so someone who is not technically oriented going from a tube display to a RPTV, which both are roughly plug and watch capable, will probably choose a FPTV like the Sony 11HT or Sharp Z9000. Great.

The competition has raised the bar with new LCD and DLP FPTV offerings. Product innovation is good for all of us.

It just means that we have more good products to choose from.

-Dean.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Mark Hunter,

Starve a little and wait on the house and no kids for a while. Then you can have a G20. After all why not go all the way?

------------------

Ken Elliott

·
Registered
4,525 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
The thing about the DLP's is that they are not as bright as the DILA's (no matter what the specs say) so you won't hurt your eyes looking at the screen or be bothered by a bright picture, and also some of them have these pretty rainbows. And we know how people have often complained about the bad contrast on DILA's right?

(Please note tongue planted firmly in cheek.)

[This message has been edited by smitty (edited 09-17-2001).]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Mark,

I have seen the hitachi sx5500w and it looked good considering the setup. I was wondering if all LCOS devices would have the same positives that the d-ila has or if JVC is doing something different. The hitachi is very quite and bright and the spec's for contrast look good.

Kirk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.