AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am highly anticipating my retooled Redskins opening the season vs. the Jets in September on ESPN. However, I am afraid DirecTV will still be "in negotiations with ESPN HD." When the Skins are on ESPN, they are also shown on the local ABC affiliate, WJLA. Anyone want to venture a guess as to whether they will--or have the technology to--show the HD version on the digital channel?

·
Registered
315 Posts
MNF has been reported as being HD this year.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
MNF will be in HDTV on ABC.

SNF will be in HDTV on ESPN HD.

End of story.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hmmm ... how about CBS? They're not carrying Sunday daytime games in HDTV, eh?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ken H, If I'm not mistaken, The Thursday night game is on ESPN. Are you saying there is no chance the digital ABC channel would show the HD feed? The analog ABC channel will be showing the ESPN SD feed.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I think CBS is going to produce 1 or 2 games per week in HD and both the NFL and Directv indicated in press releases announcing the extension of Directv's 5-year exclusive contract that it would show "some" games in HD as part of the NFL Sunday TIcket package. Who knows Directv may also include some Fox widescreen SD games too. I wouldn't count on your local ABC affiliate being able to transmit SNF in HD, but who knows?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks for the CBS info ... now if Comcast will just add CBS in time for the fall season.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Peakster
Ken H, If I'm not mistaken, The Thursday night game is on ESPN
Not so. The Thursday September 4 game (Jets vs Redskins) is a special edition of Monday Night Football, and will be in HD on ABC.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timoteo
Hmmm ... how about CBS? They're not carrying Sunday daytime games in HDTV, eh?
CBS is planning on an NFL Sunday game(s?) in HDTV, but it's not a done deal at this time.

If it happens, NFL HDTV games would be available on CBS in specific areas, and also via DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket. Standard blackout rules are expected to apply.

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Peakster
Are you saying there is no chance the digital ABC channel would show the HD feed?
I'm saying there is no, or very little chance, ABC's digital network will carry the ESPN HD games.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I may be mistaken about the wording of the question, but I was wonderin the same thing.

Whenever the Browns play on Sunday Night Football, channel 5 WEWS the ABC affiliate picks up the game.

I think the question here is, will they have the ability to pick up the High Definition feed of the game, or just the Standard definition from ESPN?

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Stuewe
I may be mistaken about the wording of the question, but I was wonderin the same thing.

Whenever the Browns play on Sunday Night Football, channel 5 WEWS the ABC affiliate picks up the game.

I think the question here is, will they have the ability to pick up the High Definition feed of the game, or just the Standard definition from ESPN?
Ah, this is a different question. I'm not sure what the answer is. Probably a definite maybe.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Whenever the Redskins play on ESPN it is also shown on WJLA ABC 7 here in the Washington DC market. Now whether WJLA-DT will pick up the HD feed, I do not know, will be interesting to see.

Cox cable here in Fairfax County will have ESPN-HD on May 15th, so it's a moot point anyway!

- John Connor

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.