AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snagged one today for a future HT. I could build a HTPC, hell I even have a spare p3550 cpu laying around but, can you watch all your programming thru it? What do you do for OTA and DSS? If you can isnt it a pain? You cant really use a Pronto or such to automate viewing then can you? Would it be easier to use a scaler or doubler instead? If so what seems to work well with this FP, Quadscan etc...? I dont have a progressive DVD, I will watch some of each NTSC HDTV DVD but DVD is my main concern.

------------------

Gonna name my HT "Tooth and Nails" for the battle my wife is putting up against it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Start lurking in the htpc forum, and all your answers will be solved. Many have programmed prontos to do all the functions easily. If you have the parts already, what have you got to lose?

·
Registered
423 Posts
I would suggest the combination of an ISCO or Panamorph with the iScan Pro.This works well to allow aspect ratio and color control, even when using RGB input on NEC projectors. (I'm using a VT540, which appears to have the same software). The ISCO or Panamorph provides aspect ratio control by using it or not as the source demands. The iScan pro provides color control ( not available on LT150 using RGB input).

The iScan Pro has an additional valuable feature when used with an anamorphic lens in place: it has a front panel switch which will squeeze 4x3 material horizontally (a reverse anamorphic squeeze), to provide a centered 4x3 image within a 16x9 screen. The anamorphic lens can be left in place and the switch thrown when 4x3 material is watched.

The advantage to using RGB input over component is that the projector can then be adjusted to eliminate overscan, which I have found to be considerable on video inputs with my VT540. Using an ISCO and an iScan pro, the picture looks great, and I see the proper 2.35:1 aspect ratio on widescreen films. I don't know if this is a problem with all projectors, all NEC projectors, only VT540's, or just mine, but setting up this way works well and sidesteps the issue. Of course HTPC would certainly do the same, but this works and is real easy.

It would be interesting if you some of you would actually measure the aspect ratio you are actually seeing on your widescreen movies. Just because the image fills the width of your screen doesn't mean it's not being cropped off by overscan as it extends beyond the frame.

Any vertical overscan is not apparent as it's in the letterbox bands. If you calculate the actual image width you should be seeing from your observed image height (multiply by 2.35), you can tell how much of the image you're missing.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drmyeyes,

Thanks for the info. Do you have a good source for buying the lenses? I went to the Panamorph site and it looked like it was $1500 but I hear people metntion getting it more in the $600 dollar range.

------------------

Gonna name my HT "Tooth and Nails" for the battle my wife is putting up against it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
There have been a TON of posts about the panamorph. Just to recap.

The very first pre buy offer sponsored by AVScience just about a year ago was for $600. As time has gone on the price of the lens has increased as the complexity of the lens and the manufacturing have increased. As it stands today, the Panamorph I costs about $1400 and will retail for about $1600 once all the back orders are filled. So, $600 was a one time deal.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
107 Posts
CV63, Don't forgo building that HTPC! I have an iScan Pro and an HTPC with a Radeon card and WinDVD. There is no contest between the two. The main problem with using the iScan is that the scaler in the LT 150 is not very good. I would suggest using both sources, the iScan for TV and random video, and the HTPC for DVD based material.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am new & ordered the LT 150 in the DELL fiasco.

I was wondering if the iscan pro is a good choice with the LT 150.

Thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kilgoret, I havent ruled out the htpc yet. Im just trying to keep it simple. What about a Quadscan? That would take care of the scaling and doubling wouldnt it? Is the Htpc option that much better than a quadscan for dvd?

------------------

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry I didn't get to this until now. I haven't seen the difference between the two, but the general consensus is that an HTPC provides the best picture from a DVD source.

You may wish to buy a quadscan for other video sources. I find the iScan Pro to be OK for general TV/DBS sources.

·
Registered
198 Posts
get a Toshiba 5109 DVD player, a Da-Lite High Power screen

and a DTC 100 HDTV stb. You should be in hog heaven with this combo. You do not need to mess around with a computer to get superb quality from the LT 150.

Badgerfan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.