AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta finally get my feet wet. I have an old 35" Mitsu with 1, count it, 1 input. I'm going crazy.

I want a decent large screen hd 16:9 rear projection tv. It will mostly show Directtv/hd and crappy local cable.

I like the size, picture and price of the Sony KP-57WS500 but you all scared me about it with it's flickering problem. Since I don't have much patience with products that go bad and bad customer service I think I should stay away from that Sony to prevent an extened prison sentence from what I would do if it went bad.

What are your suggestions for something similar to the Sony I mentioned.

Thanks so much for the help.

Succorso

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Succorso, I don't have an snswer for ya, because i'm in the same boat as you are in. I too am hoping that the good people in here will give us some direction.

/me looking around waiting for some good advice.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I'd get the TV you want. The Sony. It was only very old production runs that had the flicker problem. Just check the TV's serial number before you buy:

Serial Numbers Affected:

Sets with the following serial number ranges may be affected:

KP-51HW40 and KP-57HW40 models: Serial numbers which have a Zero in second digit, i.e. 90xxxxx. (not applicable with other models).

WS500 models: KP-51WS500 (9000001 – 9020557)

KP-57WS500 (9000001 – 9014575)

XBR2 models: KDP-57XBR2 (9000001- 9000565)

KDP-65XBR2 (9000001 – 9000340)

I doubt you'd even be able to find a TV with one of these old serial numbers for sale even if you tried! These sets were all sold a LONG time ago.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips. It seems like a great tv but I got nervous. Now I am un-nervous. Gotta get the wife some flowers and soften her up. Or maybe a "Happy Mother's Day" tv. Does it come in pink ?

Succorso

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have the 51ws500 and am very happy with it. It's an amazing TV, that has a beautiful picture. I was worried about the flicker before I bought it too, but after a little research, I learned that it's not a problem anymore. Check out the HS10 yahoo group for a lot of really helpful tweaks and tips, and Enjoy your new TV! :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am the proud owner of a flickering Sony KP-HW40. It is 14 months old and has been in the process of being repaired for the last 8 months. I finally asked for a new set. With very little complaining they agreed to send me a new KP-57HW500. If you do come across the problem Sony will take care of you. A friend of mine had a KP-57HW500 with the same flicker issue. Sony replaced all of the tubes,and his set is fine (1 week turn around). I was just unlucky to get a bad replacement tube with my repair. The TV has very good video processing. I would still recommend the set. I would probably upgrade to the 700 if it were available a year ago. I would say the 700 is worth the extra cash. I guess I got 14 months of free use of a HDTV and now I am getting a fresh model with more features. I didn't end up that bad off after all.

·
Registered
828 Posts
well my sony kp-51ws500 is being returned but not for the flicker but it had to much of a greenish yellow pic for my taste and so i am picking up the new Toshiba h 83 51' and i hope that will do me fine ;)

but let me tell you the sony is a hell of a product :)

·
Registered
614 Posts
i have just purchased a kp51ws500 back in april had it for a month and no problems, true it might be to early. mine does have the serial number that thay say is bad was manufactured in sept of 2002, at first i was worried as well but figured its just a phone call away to fix it. the set i am very pleased with and for the price i paid might make u cry, i like that the set came with dvi therefore i hope that its not outdated anytime soon.i have hooked it up to a rca dtc-100 directv stb and the box upconverts everything to 1080i and the picture is unreal, cant wait for a pro. calibration. im thinking of calling anyway to get the bulbs replaced, but if it aint broke why fix it. i also bought a 4 year replacmnt plan so it might get replaced with there new modelsa coming in july, hope that helps

Mike

·
Registered
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nrmf
i also bought a 4 year replacmnt plan so it might get replaced with there new modelsa coming in july, hope that helps
How does this replacement plan work, and where did you get it? Is this different from an extended warranty?

·
Registered
614 Posts
its something that best buy offers if the set cant be fixed they replace it with the new model if they dont have anymore of the same models

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.