AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had an X1 over the weekend and the rainbows were just too intense. I am so sad because I really wanted that projector. I returned it to BestBuy and took home the Toshiba S30U to try. It was more and the bulbs are more expenseive and don't last as long, but I was willing to live with it. The colours are terrible! And the image looks very video-tapey. So, it's going back too. I've looked at the Panny 300 and the Sanyo Z1 (just online) but I'm not really convinced and I was hoping to stay below 1500$. Also, I see that those two models are soon to be replaced and so I think I should wait either way, to buy the new model or benefit from the price drop on the old model when the new one comes out. So, I know it seems that the X1 is the obvious choice for non-rainbowers.... but what is the obvious choice for those of us who are plagued by them?

Matt

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Z1 is the current low-cost choice of many. THe Panasonic L200 hits there too. It appears the Z2 will be out this month in Japan at possibly not far off from $1500. Panasonic a few $ more, and Sony HS20 sometime later at quite a bit more $.

Epson makes a S1 I believe that is LCD, so no rainbows, and it is less than $1,000. I have not seen it. I have a Panasonic LC 76u that runs about $1700 for XGA resolution and lots of brightness.

If I was about to but into the market (I did about 4 months ago) I'd wait a month for reviews on the Z2 and ae500 (the L500 when it comes to the US) and save a few extra $ not going out to dinner and pick one of those 2 projectors. Either order from Japan or wait 2-4 months for US release.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
why not read others comments on how they have reduced the raibows. such as instead of complete dark then some extra light in the room like some back ground lighting.. also a good screen..

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, we tried to reduce rainbow effect, but we couldn't do it well enough. I mean, it wasn't as if we went looking for them. We watched about 5 minutes of Star Wars episode one and the shifting colours was enough to almost make us vomit. Jar Jar not withstanding. The X1, while having a beautiful picture, is not for the Xhonz family.

Matt

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have an Epson S1, and love it. It's inexpensive to buy, the bulbs are also very inexpensive, and it has a decent 2 year warranty with overnight replacement. It is very quiet. The picture quality is very nice (a 16x9 movie at 105 inches), if a little bit soft. It is lacking an optical zoom, so positioning it may be a bit tricky.

I can't speak of the long-term quality as I've only had mine for a month, but if you are EXTREMELY picky like I am, you may not be happy with the initial quality, and end up swapping a few units under warranty/store return policy to get an 'as-close-to-perfect' unit as possible.

I went through 4 units before I settled on this one (the first few had problems like convergence being slightly off, dead pixels near centre of screen, etc.). My wife didn't see any problems at all, and thought I was nuts. :)

Overall, I highly recommend it (especially for people who aren't EXTREMELY picky ;) ).

·
Registered
122 Posts
wait. Not for the HS20 though, that won't help you.

But the AE500 and the Z2 are direct competitors - and the AE500 can now be preordered for slightly less than what the 300 was listing at a week ago. Once they hit the streets the prices will stabilize and the reviews will guide you. If the AE500 automatic light adjustment doohickey doesn't work right - the $ may drop and the AE300 (which is not being discontinued yet) will drop accordingly. HS3 is also out there but doesn't seem to offer as much - but at least its another competitor at the same price point. Best of Luck and don't wait too long or the AE700 may screw up your decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.