AVS Forum banner

If Pioneer Kills Its TV Business, How Will It Affect You?

• [b][color=blue]Augh. I'm getting a Kuro NOW, before they're gone forever![/b][/color]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [b][color=brown]Doesn't affect me, I wasn't considering a Pioneer anyway.[/b][/color]

• [b][color=orange]I'll just buy some other plasma. Sadly.[/b][/color]

• [b][color=purple]I'll wait to see if the new 240+Hz LED LCDs can cut it.[/b][/color]

• [b][color=red]I'll wait and see if someone else makes TVs using Pioneer's technology.[/b][/color]

• [b][color=green]Screw it. I'm getting an RPTV.[/b][/color]

• [b][color=black]Are there any really good projectors?[/b][/color]

• [b][color=navy]I'll wait for OLED. Or SED. Or FED. Something ending with 'ED'.[/b][/color]

• [b][color=indigo]I'm despondent, and have been drinking. What was the question?[/b][/color]

81 - 100 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15760494

Poll will be up in a minute. Is aimed mostly at ppl who were considering buying a TV in the near- or medium-term.

No effect. My PRO-110FD has many years on viewing pleasure ahead.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The smartest thing in the world for Pioneer to do is to get out of the money losing plasma business.

Plasma is a dying and flawed technology, not much else can be done to improve it.

There's much more to PQ than the deepest black levels and ECC.

And Panasonic, LG and Samsung have all modernized Pioneer's panel designs with more efficiency.

One can have a bigger and better PQ on a Panny 58" for $400 more than a 5020 Kuro out of the box.

Granted, real videophiles appreciate the Elites, but also CRT RPs, some FPs/DLP-RPs, Panny 850 and THX models for much cheaper. The Pio 5020 is hardly a consideration but is the 2nd most expensive 50" '08 plasma out there.

And don't forget that LCD tech is 18 months away from making us all finally forget about plasma.

I say to Pioneer, kill the money pit - or the elitest image for non elite products, before it kills you.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsalkire /forum/post/15784688

I guess I'll just hold on to my 5080 for the next five years or so and hope the competition has caught up by then. I still look at my top of the line Samsung LCD and think why did I buy this thing.

What?

·
Banned
8,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwey /forum/post/15785469

The smartest thing in the world for Pioneer to do is to get out of the money losing plasma business.

Plasma is a dying and flawed technology, not much else can be done to improve it.

And Panasonic, LG and Samsung have all modernized Pioneer's panel designs with more efficiency.

One can have a bigger and better PQ on a Panny 58" for $400 more than a 5020 Kuro out of the box.

Granted, real videophiles appreciate the Elites, but also CRT RPs, some FPs/DLP-RPs, Panny 850 and THX models for much cheaper. The Pio 5020 is hardly a consideration but is the 2nd most expensive 50" '08 plasma out there.

And don't forget that LCD tech is 18 months away from making us all finally forget about plasma.

I say to Pioneer, kill the money pit - or the elitest image for non elite products, before it kills you.

I agree with this post.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:

LCD is a dying and flawed technology. Not much else can be done to improve it.

Quote:

And OLED is 36 months from making us all finally forget about LCD, plasma, CRT, LCoS, laser, SED and that night with the coke-addicted call girl in Vegas.

Quote:

That I can agree with.

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:

So what's coming out in 18 months?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:

First you argue against plasma, but you change horses in mid-stream and start arguing against Pioneer for selling more expensive tvs. Your post would be more cohesive if you'd pick a point.

LCD may be making faster headway (some moves are questionable and will fall by the wayside), but that is only because they had farther from which to rise, in the pq department. THEY had to innovate or die. And now, after all these years, LCD is finally becoming a viable alternative to ppl who want a HDTV to look great.

You make it sound like plasma is out-dated and not holding its own. Farther from the truth you could not go (how do you like my Yoda impression?) Plasma has been the king of the hill from a pq standpoint, and if plasma is 18 months from extinction, then so is LCD.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/15786214

LCD may be making faster headway (some moves are questionable and will fall by the wayside), but that is only because they had farther from which to rise, in the pq department. THEY had to innovate or die. And now, after all these years, LCD is finally becoming a viable alternative to ppl who want a HDTV to look great.

It is interesting to me, what real innovations you observed in LCD for the last years? (except for transition of some models on LED illumination)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot715 /forum/post/15786355

It is interesting to me, what real innovations you observed in LCD for the last years? (except for transition of some models on LED illumination)

Fair enough.

1. Better black levels

2. Local dimming

3. Less smearing

4. Better color fidelity

5. More even lighting (most recently due to LED)

6. 24p playback

7. 120 Hz I consider a win-lose. Why? Because to a distinct percentage of us, its accompanying frame interpolation looks cartoony when the effect is at full blast. Thankfully, on some sets like Samsungs 9 series, you can ramp it down, or turn it off altogether.

8. I thought Sharp had it right by simply quickening their response time. I never could understand why Samsung and Sharp, et al, couldn't do it too.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[Irishman /forum/post/0

Plasma has been the king of the hill from a pq standpoint, and if plasma is 18 months from extinction, then so is LCD.

Thanks largely to Pioneer, plasma definitely has plenty of PQ bragging rights. But it appears that Pio, arguably the leading innovator in plasmas, is leaving the market. So where does that leave plasma then?

LCD has dominant market share in flat panels... in Q1 2008, LCD outsold plasma by about 8 to 1 worldwide: (not rubbing it in, just being realistic)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/2538/206/

So, while plasma has much to recommend it, the broader market does not seem to understand this, and buys accordingly. I think "18 months from extinction" is an overstatement, but there's definitely a scenario where plasma either goes away or becomes incredibly niche in the next few years.

So, to equate LCD's fate with plasma's seems odd. Why would LCD go away in 18 months if it's doing so well? OLED doesn't look like it's going to be affordable any time soon. SED seems like a pipe dream. Plasma doesn't seem like it will become massively resurgent in market share, in fact more and more companies seem to be shifting resources to LCD. So what would cause the extinction of LCD in 18 months, aside from a giant meteor hitting the earth?

Just wonderin'.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/15786760

Fair enough.

1. Better black levels

What is this? The screen filter?

2. Local dimming

You wish to tell, there was a black color on LCD? I shall disappoint you, simply switch off light in the room.

3. Less smearing

Basically because of a software

4. Better color fidelity

I agree

5. More even lighting (most recently due to LED)

With brightness at LCD practically never was problems. LED is necessary not for brightness and for exact transfer of colour.

6. 24p playback

soft

7. 120 Hz I consider a win-lose. Why? Because to a distinct percentage of us, its accompanying frame interpolation looks cartoony when the effect is at full blast. Thankfully, on some sets like Samsungs 9 series, you can ramp it down, or turn it off altogether.

Show me that who can precisely explain for what all these Hertz? At their Panasonic even 480!

8. I thought Sharp had it right by simply quickening their response time. I never could understand why Samsung and Sharp, et al, couldn't do it too.

I agree

You have forgotten to add HDMI input

So, the most part of that you have told as it is possible to carry and to plasmas. All it has not something in common with LCD technology, except for time of the response and increase in colour space. I consider that the basic achievement in LCD technology became reduction of the size of pixel at the expense of what began possible to make inexpensive matrixes with a small diagonal and the high definition.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SystemShock2 /forum/post/15787284

Thanks largely to Pioneer, plasma definitely has plenty of PQ bragging rights. But it appears that Pio, arguably the leading innovator in plasmas, is leaving the market. So where does that leave plasma then?

LCD has dominant market share in flat panels... in Q1 2008, LCD outsold plasma by about 8 to 1 worldwide: (not rubbing it in, just being realistic)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/2538/206/

So, while plasma has much to recommend it, the broader market does not seem to understand this, and buys accordingly. I think "18 months from extinction" is an overstatement, but there's definitely a scenario where plasma either goes away or becomes incredibly niche in the next few years.

So, to equate LCD's fate with plasma's seems odd. Why would LCD go away in 18 months if it's doing so well? OLED doesn't look like it's going to be affordable any time soon. SED seems like a pipe dream. Plasma doesn't seem like it will become massively resurgent in market share, in fact more and more companies seem to be shifting resources to LCD. So what would cause the extinction of LCD in 18 months, aside from a giant meteor hitting the earth?

Just wonderin'.

I just don't agree with your doom and gloom assessment.

What size range performs the best for LCDs? I think it's telling that it's the range in which there is no real plasma competition - the sub 42" range. As you go up in size from 42" up to 65", plasma dominates more and more, largely because the manufacturing costs for equivalent plasma are lower than LCD.

So, depending on the size range (whether or not there is plasma competition), and the relative cost of the panels, either LCD or plasma can dominate a flat panel segment.

Since more and more households are on their 2nd, 3rrd, or even 4th HDTV now, secondary rooms that don't need a big screen, LCD does phenomenally well.

Doesn't mean plasma is sailing without rudder. Doesn't mean plasma is dying.

I could just as easily throw out some comment that if LCD makers don't get their act together and produce panels that are cost-competitive with the largest plasmas, then they're toast.

But it's no more true than your assessment of plasma's future.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot715 /forum/post/15787399

So, the most part of that you have told as it is possible to carry and to plasmas. All it has not something in common with LCD technology, except for time of the response and increase in colour space. I consider that the basic achievement in LCD technology became reduction of the size of pixel at the expense of what began possible to make inexpensive matrixes with a small diagonal and the high definition.

Pilot, you may not agree with it, but LCD has improved their PQ.

I still prefer plasma.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper37 /forum/post/15763344

The loss is indirect for me.

Pioneer was rated as the best of the best, so others had something to look out for.

There is now a little less incentive for current plasma makers to outdo themselves, and a little less icentive for everyone to develop new technologies (SED, OLED, etc).

THIS.

I am just mad that if something happens in the next 3 years to my 5020, I will have to get it replaced by BB with something that isn't a pioneer. I am sorry I have owner most of em: Sammy, Sony, Panny....all high end models, and none of them have been anywhere near as pleasing as my pioneer.

It makes me sad that the next TV I buy wont be a pioneer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
It'll depend on what happens, but I could see Panny snapping up Pio's technology and incorporating it, which would be a good thing. If they could figure out better manufacturing economies and such, the best case scenario would be that Pio's tech lives on (even if it stagnates -- which, honestly, isn't such a bad thing since it's pretty damn good as it is), but is made available to consumers at a the lower prices Panny seems able to handle. While you might lose some amenities as a result (IE: no more detachable speaker or whathaveyou), would this really be such a terrible thing?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Irishman] /forum/post/15794161

I just don't agree with your doom and gloom assessment.

I was playing devil's advocate a bit. However, it's difficult to look at facts such as LCD outselling plasma 8-to-1 worldwide, and not wonder if plasma is indeed destined for niche status.

Quote:
What size range performs the best for LCDs? I think it's telling that it's the range in which there is no real plasma competition - the sub 42" range. As you go up in size from 42" up to 65", plasma dominates more and more, largely because the manufacturing costs for equivalent plasma are lower than LCD.

I tend to agree with that, but I also think the ground is starting to shift away from plasma as LCDs get bigger and bigger.

For example, if you go look at the best-selling TV charts over at Amazon, only 8 of the Top 50 are plasmas, nearly all the rest are LCD. Many of the best-selling TVs are 46- and 52-inch LCDs. Basically, LCD is already encroaching on what was previously 'plasma turf'. I would expect that trend to continue and only intensify.

Quote:
Since more and more households are on their 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th HDTV now, secondary rooms that don't need a big screen, LCD does phenomenally well.

Actually, HDTV penetration is still pretty low in the US, on the order of only about a third of all homes:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/11/12...-s-households/

Contrary to what you say, most of us really don't have HDTVs coming out of our ears in our homes. Many ppl are still buying their first HDTV set, and they tend to buy LCD even then, as sales figures show.

Quote:
Doesn't mean plasma is sailing without rudder. Doesn't mean plasma is dying.

I definitely don't want plasma to die. It has several significant advantages over LCD, and it pushes LCD makers to do better.

But the trends seem to be pointing to plasma being pushed into a niche in the very large set category. Many would say that this process is well under way already. And of course, even there, it will still have to compete with LCDs, as those get ever larger.

Quote:
I could just as easily throw out some comment that if LCD makers don't get their act together and produce panels that are cost-competitive with the largest plasmas, then they're toast.

I don't see why you would. LCD competes on plasma's turf (large sets), but plasma seems unable to compete strongly on LCD's turf (small and mid-size sets). For good or ill, LCD is obviously not the one in danger of becoming heated bread slices.

Quote:
But it's no more true than your assessment of plasma's future.

I would say that the process of plasma becoming niche is already well under way. Pioneer's possible exit from plasma and attempts to get into the LCD market are only the latest signs.

I would like to see Pioneer technology transferred to a reasonably capable mid-price TV maker, such as Panasonic, which could possibly strengthen plasma's position in the market. Though I have my doubts about that occurring to any very significant degree.

Frankly, I'm not sure what can reverse plasma's slide. It could be as simple as Panasonic's work in increasing plasma brightness... if a plasma can sit right next to a torch-mode LCD on the showroom floor and have the same kind of 'first glance' appeal, then that might be very helpful.

But then again, it may be that the public has written off plasma as 'old technology', dim, prone to burn-in, etc etc, and that their mindshare has gone to LCD in a more or less permanent way until the next major 'new kid on the block' technology shows up.

It would be sad if it plays out that way, because it means that most consumers will be confined to one display technology for the next several years. More competition is nearly always better for the consumer.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Well, I think that the Model store has hurt plasma. I remember growing up and going with my dad to HH Gregg & Circuit City etc.... and all of their CRT TV's were in a very dark area. Sometimes you had to get real close to read the price since it was so dark in there.

Now with Walmart, Sams, Costco, Best Buy, CC, ect... the TV isle is as bright as the checkout.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts