AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a IF pj and will be upgrading to a HD SAT receiver (Hughes HTL or Sammy T160). There are no DVI inputs for the IF; can I use component video to go from HD SAT box to the IF pj?

Thanx,

Rick

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John -

I have a lp530. I am using component video right now with SD SAT. I did not want to run a DVI cable if it isn't necessary. IF has a converter to go from DVI to M1. Will there be a picture quality issue if I use component video instead of DVI? Any other issues? Should I go through the effort and run a DVI cable?

Thanx,

Rick

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you have dvi, use it. It keeps the picture in the digital realm where it is meant to be. It does not change the picture to analog before you see it. I have a pj with dvi and it is a big step up from component. My 2 cents. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Sass
John -

I have a lp530. I am using component video right now with SD SAT. I did not want to run a DVI cable if it isn't necessary. IF has a converter to go from DVI to M1. Will there be a picture quality issue if I use component video instead of DVI? Any other issues? Should I go through the effort and run a DVI cable?

Thanx,

Rick
Not a picture "issue" - component will look great, but DVI will look "better." In all the shootouts/comparisons I have done, DVI always produced a sharper, brighter picture (although sometimes subtley so depending on the projector). If it's not a big effort I would definitely run the cable, as DVI/HDMI is the way things are going and you will be "future protected" (as leach as much as you can be in this hobby!).

JOHN

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John - I went to the HDTV forum and the users there recommend component video because the HD SAT receivers send out mushy and washed out blacks when using DVI. They also thought that the pj would not handle a DVI 480p signal. Also, my lp530 and the 7200 both have the same input - a MI. Do I need a conversion cable to go from the DVI output on the HS SAT receiver to the MI input on the PJ or are these two connectors the same, just labeled differently.

Rick

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
Hmmm..if that's true it's surprising - I guess that the sat boxes have some genuine problems! I have not actually used a sat box with any of my projectors, so I cannot comment directly. When using DVD players or an HTPC with DVI out, it always looked better than component.

You can either buy an adapter, or several companies make cables with DVI on one end and M1 on the other. Do a Google search for SP-M1-10M and you will see what I mean.

Good Luck!

JOHN

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.