AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which I didn't even know it could do, can't we spoof an audio input to powerDVD and make it think it's a "DVD" when in fact it's just another input device sending DTS information thru a SPDIF in?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This would make possible my HTRPC!!!! Since the big missing component was the ability to decode DTS and the like!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
It is decoding something it reads off a disc, not an item coming into the computer from another device.

While they are similar, the functions are different. For instance, not everything that plays an MP3 off your hard drive can handle streaming MP3s. There are other issues to deal with.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you are correct, but what is deamon tools? Nothing but a program that fools a PC into thinking an ISO is actually a CD. Now the test here would be to rip a DTS CD and try to play it thru PowerDVD, or rip a DVD DTS CD to VOB and try to play that thru...if you can, then you can either find the dll or whatever it is that actually decodes the DTS stream(unlikely) or write a progrma that fools powerDVD into thinking that an incomming stream is actually a DVD :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cliff Watson on 07-26-02
"This would be a really useful feature for those of us with external S/PDIF sources and a 410 card..."

Agreed

"Has this decoding of external S/PDIF sources been discussed with the folks at Cyberlink or Intervideo?"

A meeting is planed for next week at CyberLink.
Haven't heard back on this one, but the topic has come up before (and those of us with delta cards are salivating).

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by L1st3r
Yes, you are correct, but what is deamon tools? Nothing but a program that fools a PC into thinking an ISO is actually a CD. Now the test here would be to rip a DTS CD and try to play it thru PowerDVD, or rip a DVD DTS CD to VOB and try to play that thru...if you can, then you can either find the dll or whatever it is that actually decodes the DTS stream(unlikely) or write a progrma that fools powerDVD into thinking that an incomming stream is actually a DVD :)
Its highly unlikely that anything this elaborate is necessary. Unless I'm way off base, this is all done through DirectShow filters - find someone who is successfully using zoomplayer to get analog-output DTS, and you should be halfway there.

There are probably 2 tricks necessary:

- figure out how DTS is carried over spdif. With AC3, the raw data is encapsulated in a block structure (see Linux players for details). For DTS, this may or may not be the case.

- co-operate with the output audio rendering filter, since both will have to have the device open.

It's possible I'm missing something, though. Since the spdif wire format of AC3/DD is 'known', doing this for DD "should be" fairly straightforward - write a DirectShow source component that de-blocks the data from the spdif stream, and sends it to the appropriate input pin of the audio decoder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dwk123
Its highly unlikely that anything this elaborate is necessary. Unless I'm way off base, this is all done through DirectShow filters - find someone who is successfully using zoomplayer to get analog-output DTS, and you should be halfway there.

There are probably 2 tricks necessary:

- figure out how DTS is carried over spdif. With AC3, the raw data is encapsulated in a block structure (see Linux players for details). For DTS, this may or may not be the case.

- co-operate with the output audio rendering filter, since both will have to have the device open.

It's possible I'm missing something, though. Since the spdif wire format of AC3/DD is 'known', doing this for DD "should be" fairly straightforward - write a DirectShow source component that de-blocks the data from the spdif stream, and sends it to the appropriate input pin of the audio decoder.
Exactly. I believe it is very straightforward. And this would be great. For very little you can build yourself a receiver. Of course you'd still need amps...

Anyways, I'm in my last quarter of college, but if this doesn't get tackled by February, I will definetly take a look at this. I've just found the greatness that is zoomplayer, and I plan on making this work. This will be huge guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.