AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anybody waiting on a bulb replacement from Samsung simply try opening the bulb compartment, pulling the bulb out, and putting it back?

This seems to have fixed the problem for now for me, but I did not try just taking off the bulb door and replacing it. I went ahead and pulled out the bulb and re-set it at the same time, so I don't know if it was one or both (or neither) that fixed it for now.

I've seen people mention that a replacement bulb fixed the problem. I'm wondering if the bulb itself wasn't the issue at all.

I'm very nervous about the long term viability of this Nov. 2002 PB set now regardless. Whether the bulb housing itself or a safety switch somewhere, I don't see how this would just go out on its own with no movement of the set involved. Just contraction/expansion from heat shouldn't be enough to trigger the problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
One of the troubling issues of this set... Is the door switch a 'microswitch'? Perhaps there is not enougn pressure on the plunger.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I wish I would have tried that. I had Tweeter here Friday installing a new bulb. Solved the blinking light problem though.

I looked at the old bulb and didn't see that it was bad. I'm not sure if you can tell if it's bad or not though. The filament seemed to be fine.

I'll try the door if it happens again. But if it does happen again, I think a replacement is due.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Quote:
I don't see how this would just go out on its own with no movement of the set involved
Could it be the heat from the bulb itself?..

Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's the 10,000 dollar question . . . you'd think Samsung would want to send an engineering team out to find out what is going on if they haven't figured this out in the lab yet.

I have an e-mail in to Samsung Steve asking about progress on this issue. In the meantime, I'm afraid to turn the TV off.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had this problem once my first week with the set, and never had it again since. My guess it was because fo turning the TV on and off so often from the SM tweaks.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ninjatech,

When you say "once," what did you have to do to get rid of it? Just power cycle? Let it rest 15 minutes? 15 hours?

I tried power cycling 3 times I believe (my life has been a little bit of a blur since I got this set). I think one time was at least an hour cool down. This was with pulling the plug (I think once you get 3 lights you have to). Nothing worked until I pulled the bulb and re-set.

Every time it acted the same. It sounded like it was trying to start up the color wheel with various grunts and groans, would try 3-4 times, and gave up with the 3 lights. Had to unplug before any more attempts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have 200 hours on my 507 with no 3 blinking light problem yet.

If I do have it someday, I think I'll ask the tech if I can have the old bulb when he replaces it with a new one. That way I'll probably have a backup bulb that's perfectly fine.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is not a good word choice. I pulled out the bulb, looked at it, and put it back in.

I can't get into SM to reset or change anything because I am afraid to turn off the set until I get official word from Samsung Steve or TVA on what the latest is on this issue. No response yet.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'd refer to it as re-seat, ie "I re-seated the bulb." You can just say it was a typo. ;-)

Thats what I'm used to saying anytime I ritualistically plug and unplug a PCI card hoping for better behavior. ;-)

Markd

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's where re-set came from, I was looking for re-seat. Really.

Anyway, I got tired of waiting for a response from e-mail, so I called Samsung. I got to talk to the same guy I talked to a few weeks ago about SIR-TS160 problems--and he had no update on the 3 blinking lights issue. And didn't know which safety switch was involved if any. I went ahead and tried to schedule a service call but the default service center was too far away. I should get a call in the next 3 days (?--seems like a long wait to even schedule something).

Not real encouraging all the way around.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't have any. Why do you ask? The 507 in Moscow already? If you need a replacement bulb in Moscow you build yourself? Just kidding :)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
They could probably buy 507W in Moscow on "tolkuchka" (local market) several months before the official release day :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.