AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If Terk antennas are so terrible (which I believe they are), then why are they the most common antenna brand in the stores? Some stores only carry the Terk brand. Usually companies that make crappy products are not successful, so how did Terk do it?

·
Super Moderator
18,452 Posts
Same reason you see the George Foreman grill everywhere. Marketing-marketing-marketing. .

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
You must live in a non-demanding OTA environment...

·
Registered
22,155 Posts
Da two terks dat I twied tucked!;)

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Terk is to antennas as Bose is to audio systems. Some people use them and love them, others despise them. In both cases, neither product seems to deliver a good bang for the buck. Your Terk may work as good as another "old fashioned" antenna, but it will certainly cost more.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Terks are way overpriced, so of course they make the store more money. They have big fancy packaging that stands out on the shelf. But a no-frills cheaper metal antenna will ouperform them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
My radio shack "stick antenna" works great............and for some odd reason it has a striking resemblance to the "horrible" Terk TV50.

Go figure.

And it was 20 bux less.

-Chris

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Hey,

Let's not forget monster cable. It's at least as good as a terk.

-phil

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
To be fair, Monster cable at least works well. The issue is cost.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
HEATHENS!!! mentioning Bose in the same breath as TERK...pfhtiewy. Anyone knocking Bose probably has never heard 901 series IV speakers ( they do cost an arm and a few legs )

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fourml8r
no highs, no lows, BOSE.

Trying to think of one for Terk that fits......
"Where anything will work,

You can use Terk!"

"If your wallet is too heavy,

Then you're able

To lighten it with Monster

Cable!"

Quote:
Let's not forget monster cable. It's at least as good as a terk
To paraphrase Scooper from another thread: The difference between Monster Cable and Terk is that Monster Cable at least does what it is supposed to

·
Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Approx. 60 miles from Tampa stations. My Terk is 10 feet off the ground under the eves of the roof on the west side of my house. Works great. Indeed two of the stations (ABC &Fox) peg the signal strength meter on my E-86.

The wife is happy with the looks.

However, to be fair, the west side of my house faces what the natives like to call a lake, and we are at the top of a 15 foot "cliff".

·
Registered
995 Posts
I got a Samsung SIR-T151 at BB yesterday and asked if he had any antennas. He pointed to the Terk TV55. I laughed! He said it was a return and just try it. Gave me $20 off and said just return it if it doesn't work. Wanting to see HDTV OTA that night I got it and threw it up in the attic. I am 32 miles from towers and I locked on to every channel with no dropouts!

Problem is; I want to get a Winegard but at this point I can't see a reason to. All signals coming in between 8 and 11 bars on the receiver. Go figure!

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Anamorpheus
If Terk antennas are so terrible (which I believe they are), then why are they the most common antenna brand in the stores? Some stores only carry the Terk brand. Usually companies that make crappy products are not successful, so how did Terk do it?
As mentioned above and more:

- They market well. Nice packaging, lots of hyperbole, well placed media ads.

- Their product carries a high gross margin.

- They own the retail market space. When you go into a store that sells HDTV's, you won't see them offering or displaying Channel Master or Winegard antennas, you see Terk.

- Terk products generally do not look like antennas. I would guess most consumers think to themselves "this looks more advanced & modern than the old thing my dad used to have up on the roof, it must be better".

·
Registered
189 Posts
At least one Terk antenna gives a good accounting of itself on the test range. The TV35 is not a bad solution for suburban VHF/UHF reception. However, it looks very much like a traditional log-periodic VHF/UHF antenna. I believe it is made in Denmark for Terk.

The TV55 is basically a dipole antenna with limited gain. It works better on low VHF stations than anywhere else. It can also work with UHF reception in some instances, but is not a multipath-friendly design.

The most overpriced and underperforming antenna is the HDTV60. This patented design is no more than a dipole coiled into a helix with a RF amplifier thrown in for good measure. It resembles a tanning lamp or bug zapper and is an overall mediocre performer for DTV reception, particularly with UHF signals where it has little to no gain.

I have some data on the actual field performance of these antennas plus several other models on my web site at www.projectorexpert.com. Look under the DTV section for articles titled "Heavy Metal I" and "Heavy Metal II" for the details and some tables with gain and multipath performance.

Pete Putman KT2B

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Thanks again, Pete.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.