AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course I'm happy to read that Silent Running will get a new DVD release, with 16x9 enhancement and some other cleanup (plus some extras).

But this makes me wonder: why won't the people involved do something similar (new xfer, 16x9, etc.--no fancy extras really needed) for other SF films that desperately need it?

Of course, I don't know how much money (e.g., for restoration work) would be required for each different film, but I would guess that the markets for the films would be of similar depth--I think the sort of people who would buy Silent Running would also buy a clean version of Rollerball,

for example.

Don't even get me started on non-SF movies that deserve proper DVD releases...

Can anybody tell me what the hangup is? Or is it just that some old filmmakers still care about their movies and champion them to new releases, while others don't?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I have both Rollerball and Outland on disc

but I am not into childrens stories like Foruza Balk "Return to Oz".

I would like THEM, The Day the Earth Stood Still and host of others to be on DVD disc first, before I need to see another Rollerball or Outand disc upgrad IMO. :)

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
How about John Carpenter's The Thing? That's one flick that cries out to be properly re-mastered in HD...anomorphically enhanced...sans EE...and with a new 5.1 soundtrack. Of course, TT on D-VHS would be even better!...

-THTS

·
Premium Member
4,974 Posts
Yes, The Thing! Sometimes when I'm in Best Buy, I pick it up and hold it in my hand. I turn it over and hope that by chance I missed something on the cover last time I held it. Something, anything, that would indicate to me that copy in my hand was somehow anamorphic. I've always been disappointed thus far.

Cary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.