AVS Forum banner

Will you buy an HDDVD player if Warner doesn't deliver ?

• Yes

Votes: 102 47.2%
  • No, I will never, ever support HDDVD

Votes: 114 52.8%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand how people can be HD-DVD exclusive when there are so many great movies on blu-ray. I can't stand not having 3 movies on blu-ray that I really want. With that in mind, there are 3 movies I really want that HD-DVD currently has that are exclusives.Batman Begins, V for Vendetta, and Matrix 1(of course i have to buy the set
)

So warner says these titles will be out, we're assuming after the BD-J 1.1 mandate takes effect on November 1st, 2007. Financially speaking, I don't want to spend $400 - $600 on an A20 or XA2(i dont want a bottom of the barrel 1080i A2) and then price of the movies when i can just wait for these to come out on blu-ray. So of course i'm waiting patiently. So my question is, if warner doesn't deliver the goods or at least gives a release date set in stone by years end, will you buy an HD-DVD player ?

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donricouga /forum/post/0

(i dont want a bottom of the barrel 1080i A2)

Do you know how dumb you just sounded? It seems as though that your post is more concerned with bashing HD DVD players than Warners movie releases.

HD DVD supports features that BD has yet to recieve from the beginning and you blame Warner. The BDA not mandating finished specs are not to blame by any means......are they?

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Not having significant title support from Warner has indeed been a sore spot with me. The BDA miscalculated on not having BD-J profiles fully implemented before launch. I was neutral, then went BD exclusive, and I'm a little disappointed at not having The Matrix. Looking at the list of postponed BD titles is depressing. 31 BD titles delayed compared to 5 HD-DVD. The catalog titles being released by the HD-DVD studios are actually movies I want to see, as compared to a lot of the crap being put forth by BD studios.

If we don't get Warner titles soon, especially if HD-DVD gets the Harry Potter films first, I'm going to go neutral again.

·
Registered
595 Posts
According to digitalbits - Warner is waiting for the BD-j interactive or whatever its called to be in finalized first (11/07). This way the BD users can have the same in movie interactive experience as the HDDVD users.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknyfs /forum/post/0

According to digitalbits - Warner is waiting for the BD-j interactive or whatever its called to be in finalized first (11/07). This way the BD users can have the same in movie interactive experience as the HDDVD users.

And after having experienced that IME crap, it's overrated. I don't watch a movie to have neat stuff pop up in the middle of scenes. I want to be immersed in the experience, and IME accomplishes the exact opposite for me.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Enigma- /forum/post/0

Do you know how dumb you just sounded? It seems as though that your post is more concerned with bashing HD DVD players than Warners movie releases.

HD DVD supports features that BD has yet to recieve from the beginning and you blame Warner. The BDA not mandating finished specs are not to blame by any means......are they?

I wouldn't buy the A2 and its bashing. I said i would buy the A20 or XA2 did I not ?

Besides, is there something that the A2 or A20 can do that the PS3 ,for instance, can't ? In fact, the ps3 can do alot more. But this is not what the poll is about. Its simply to find out if blu-ray only supporters are willing to go neutral by years end if warner does not deliver on these promised titles. Warner has demonstrated that they are quite capable of delivering. Plus there are titles without IME that haven't been seen on blu-ray. Where are they ?

Back to topic

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffylush /forum/post/0

Wow, talk about a push poll.

How about a 3rd option, I will not be buying an HD DVD option based on Warner by the end of the year, I don't know what I will do in the future.

You know what, you're probably right. How do I edit this poll ? I may add a third option.

·
Registered
8,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephShaw /forum/post/0

I want to be immersed in the experience, and IME accomplishes the exact opposite for me.

I agree entirely. I think that the studios have grossly overestimated the importance of these interactive features to consumers.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephShaw /forum/post/0

And after having experienced that IME crap, it's overrated. I don't watch a movie to have neat stuff pop up in the middle of scenes. I want to be immersed in the experience, and IME accomplishes the exact opposite for me.

I agree as well.

Totally bizarre and undesirable concept for me at least.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:

So my question is, if warner doesn't deliver the goods or at least gives a release date set in stone by years end, will you buy an HD-DVD player ?

I already did. Between the Warner titles you mentioned and all of the Universal discs out already, owning an HD DVD player is well worthwhile.

I suppose I should start a poll asking how long the BD fans will hold out for Universal to release on BD? A lot of them will say "forever" but I know that won't be the case for many. To borrow a line from the late Chris Farley, "I speak from experience dude."

·
Banned
1,888 Posts

Quote:

...So my question is, if warner doesn't deliver the goods or at least gives a release date set in stone by years end, will you buy an HD-DVD player ?

Already have one but have chosen (so let the flaming begin) to buy the Blu-ray versions especially when the HD DVD version is a flipper. It is just my preference because I am not that passionate about the extra features and additional audio options. Although I bought the Matrix Trilogy it will probably be the last title(s) I buy on the HD DVD format. I think I am preferring to wait for what I believe is the inevitable. If all studios aren't Blu by the beginning of 2008, I'll dip my toe back into HD DVD. It's not like anything will be put on moratorium.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybersoga /forum/post/0

I already have a HD-DVD player, i'll go wherever the content is.

Same...

I buy what I want on either format.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH /forum/post/0

Already have one but have chosen (so let the flaming begin) to buy the Blu-ray versions especially when the HD DVD version is a flipper. It is just my preference because I am not that passionate about the extra features and additional audio options. Although I bought the Matrix Trilogy it will probably be the last title(s) I buy on the HD DVD format. I think I am preferring to wait for what I believe is the inevitable. If all studios aren't Blu by the beginning of 2008, I'll dip my toe back into HD DVD. It's not like anything will be put on moratorium.

This is what I should really do but Universal's been putting out a lot of titles that interest me. I had to give in to temptation. I'm weak.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts
I believe a primary reason given by Disney for backing BD was the space needed for interactive features and extras. The reason Fox is backing BD is for BD+. Neither of these reasons seem to matter to BD supporters. And both wanted region coding for their format. Which I am assuming is also not a hot feature for consumers.

IME sucks as long as it continues to be used only on HD DVD. Just like upscaling was unless until the PS3 got it

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
i'd much rather they put the titles out now, then do a special edition when they finalize BD-J or whatever the hell the interactive stuff is. i rarely if ever watch the extras disc on my dvd sets and can care less for anything besides the movie itself with good av quality.

waiting til november for batman begins and matrix will be very painful. but like don said, i won't buy the bottom of the barrell 1080i a2 when 1080p models with mroe features are available. and i can't afford the better models as i need to save first for a hdmi switching receiver (onkyo 605).

i need to try to con one of my friends into buying hd-dvd... if universal comes out and says they'd never support blu-ray and warner continue to give the better sound formats to hd-dvd only, i may get a hd-dvd player long after getting a receiver.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0

I believe a primary reason given by Disney for backing BD was the space needed for interactive features and extras. The reason Fox is backing BD is for BD+. Neither of these reasons seem to matter to BD supporters. And both wanted region coding for their format. Which I am assuming is also not a hot feature for consumers.

IME sucks as long as it continues to be used only on HD DVD. Just like upscaling was unless until the PS3 got it

Well I won't speak for others but I personally have zero interest in IME or any other interactive features. Matter of fact I couldn't care less about any extra features. I just want the movie presented in the best PQ/AQ possible.

As for upscaling I don't really care either way. I rarely watch SD DVDs so 480p doesn't make my eyes bleed.

·
Banned
6,469 Posts
If you just care about PQ and AQ, would not just a tape based solution work just as well? I believe you can get much more data on tape than a disk at a much lower cost....of course with tape you don't get interactivity.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman /forum/post/0

If you just care about PQ and AQ, would not just a tape based solution work just as well? I believe you can get much more data on tape than a disk at a much lower cost....of course with tape you don't get interactivity.

The simple answer is I hate rewinding.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.