AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so you got your new tv and now you went out and bought the blu ray player. Who cares what tv or blu ray you got. BUT when you bought your first blu-ray movie please answer the following:

Did you buy the movie cause you really liked the movie?

Did you buy the movie cause you read that it's the best blu-ray movie, in blu ray and wanted to see the best results on your new player?

For me it was it was a combo of both, I liked the movie and read that it was had the best resolution for blu ray. My first one is pirates of the caribbean curse of the black peal. What have others picked?

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom5 /forum/post/17062451

Ok, so you got your new tv and now you went out and bought the blu ray player. Who cares what tv or blu ray you got. BUT when you bought your first blu-ray movie please answer the following:

Did you buy the movie cause you read that it's the best blu-ray movie, in blu ray and wanted to see the best results on your new player?

For me it was it was a combo of both, I liked the movie and read that it was had the best resolution for blu ray. My first one is pirates of the caribbean curse of the black peal. What have others picked?

Transformers blu-ray. Oddly enough up convert of a standard dvd gets it darn close to blu-ray. More so than what i thought it would. I like blue ray but 30 bucks a disk i just dont feel like paying. I've gone and signed up for blockbuster as I am still ticketed at netflix and they charge extra for blu-ray rentals. I was getting throttled by netflix and knew it. So I only loaded new releases in my movie list. Most had a short wait but after a week they didnt send me a single disk so i canceled an haven't been back since.

I did buy the dark knight. That was a great movie.

·
Banned
407 Posts
I only buy blu ray when I know our family would watch it more than once and of course the movie would have to be good to be viewed several times like Transformers and The Dark Knight as he mentioned above.

I actually don't mind watching SD DVD's even with the option of high definition, because picture is behind after the movie storyline for me. And of course, saving money. I've lived with SD for all my life, I'm still on cable!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/17062681

I only buy blu ray when I know our family would watch it more than once and of course the movie would have to be good to be viewed several times like Transformers and The Dark Knight as he mentioned above.

I actually don't mind watching SD DVD's even with the option of high definition, because picture is behind after the movie storyline for me. And of course, saving money. I've lived with SD for all my life, I'm still on cable!!!

Most players now a days give you the option to sync up the audio but i have noticed no delay with my setup.

·
Registered
109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom5 /forum/post/17062451

When I buy a blu-ray movie I ask myself 2 questions...

1) Will I watch it more than once? If no... it's a rental.

2) Is it a movie worthy of a blu-ray purchase? I have to love the movie, and not already own a good quality DVD. For example, I own Gladiator on DVD, and it looks great on my tv... no purchase. I own "Alien" on DVD... it's an old transfer... I will upgrade it. Any Pixar movie gets purchased as soon as it gets released.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosepass2 /forum/post/17062681

Me I am so old school, my blu-ray does not connect to netfix or blockbuster, the local nonchanin dvd store has plenty of dvds, foreign, new,old, tv, so no reason to join netfix. I also live about 1 mile from it and can walk. I have rented alot of blu rays (well maybe about 10 so far). Plus the price is low below $5. Also for those who do the movie connection on the net cool. I got the blu ray cause did not like how old dvd player showed movies on new tv, also got a great price below 230 for mine ( and not bragging either) soon or later they will drop to what I paid, it happens dudes! no complaints.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here is what I find amusing....I have Dumb 'n Dumber Unrated on SDVD(mag530 bluray) and I have a friend with that same movie on bluray(panny BD-55) and my upconverted sdvd looks better then his Bd version....I have a 42" Vizio XVT and he has a 60" Pioneer Kuro....both professionally calibrated by the same person.....go figure.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar99 /forum/post/17063061

Here is what I find amusing....I have Dumb 'n Dumber Unrated on SDVD(mag530 bluray) and I have a friend with that same movie on bluray(panny BD-55) and my upconverted sdvd looks better then his Bd version....I have a 42" Vizio XVT and he has a 60" Pioneer Kuro....both professionally calibrated by the same person.....go figure.

But but the Kuro.......

I dont know. What do you guys think? Upconvert is about what 90-95% as good looking as blu-ray?

The other thing is if the film is old I don't thing blu-ray is worth the price. You can only make a movie shot in 1980 look so good with the blu-ray format you know????? I was really amazed with the picture quality of upconvert. All things being equal i'll take the blu-ray though.

·
Banned
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aforum /forum/post/17062704

Most players now a days give you the option to sync up the audio but i have noticed no delay with my setup.

Sorry I didn't explain it well enough but I didn't mean the actual 'audio'.

I meant that the movie itself is what matters to me most than the picture quality. Although I do like to evolve around with the growing technology, but some things aren't meant to be taken fully when there are other cheaper alternatives. 'Better' things will always cost more. And my family can watch SD cable programs with 50% static and not complain at all. So if it means saving money, then HEY!

SDVD quality isn't that bad, well at least up-converted on my PS3 and even on a standard DVD player... I like the incentive of high-def but it's not something for me or our family to live without.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yup! Upconverted DVDs look plenty great to me. After I saw what my Sammy 2550 BD player does to DVDs when upconverted, why buy Bluray discs when Blockbuster sells me the previewed movies I want, typically for under $10? And my second upconvert player, Sammy 1080P9, upconverts pretty good as well.

I'll probably start buying bluray discs when Blockbuster starts selling the previewed movies I want for cheap.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinee /forum/post/17063628

Yup! Upconverted DVDs look plenty great to me. After I saw what my Sammy 2550 BD player does to DVDs when upconverted, why buy Bluray discs when Blockbuster sells me the previewed movies I want, typically for under $10? And my second upconvert player, Sammy 1080P9, upconverts pretty good as well.

I'll probably start buying bluray discs when Blockbuster starts selling the previewed movies I want for cheap.

OO not to be negative, but I do not see (it would be nice) the price of blu ray's coming down anytime soon. I mean look how long they kept the high price of lcd's tv, because of the economic downturn, for them to lower pricing.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom5 /forum/post/17069562

OO not to be negative, but I do not see (it would be nice) the price of blu ray's coming down anytime soon. I mean look how long they kept the high price of lcd's tv, because of the economic downturn, for them to lower pricing.

With upconverted DVDs looking as good as they do... I don't mind waiting a couple years for BD prices to drop. But as for the initial questions...
Quote:

The first few BD movies I bought were to really experience HD... and were crappy and a waste of $$$... National Treasure 2, Shooter and Forbidden Kingdom. The only really great BD purchase I made was Planet Earth.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'm hoping to skip bluray altogether. The newer Samsungs have USB connectivity and even the Panasonic plasmas (g10 and higher) allow you to play AVCHD formatted videos off an SD card. In addition to this feature being built into TV's themselves, it is popping up in stand-alone media player boxes (WD for example). If prices drop low enough, bluray might be a worthwhile medium, but for now I prefer to use other media to play my homemade stuff and streaming services for the Hollywood fare. As the streaming continues to evolve over the next year or two, we'll wonder why people ever wanted to take up space in their house storing a purchased movie on a physical medium like a bluray disk. If money were no object, I'd upgrade everything to bluray, but given the fact that the post-bluray future is so rapidly coming into focus right now, I can't justify buying a player, burner, and those ridiculously expensive disks.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lice /forum/post/17075444

I just really wanted to pay double for a movie I already had...

I agree I am not into paying double for movies, the studio's want you to do that. I believe if Bd come down in say to want dvd are now then no problem. Most are between $5 to 10, except for current ones. I have not really look into what net flex cost but I know I have to buy extra eqpt to have it in my house.

Again one reason why I got a blu player, had cheap dvd and did not like how they played on new tv. So I bought a upconverter dvd and it came busted. Then said why order another one, look for good deal or wait for good deal and got blu ray one for around $200. I only have 1 blu ray now. I am sure there are others out there with reg. dvd collections into the hundred's.

WOWie if so, I spoke to someone in BB and they told me they already had 300 dvd's in his collection. If this is your hobby more power to you, enjoy your hobby nothing wrong with that. I do not know if I will ever get to 300.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm going to be purchasing my first blu-ray player sometime around Labor day and found this discussion interesting. I recently bought a LN55B650, I figure I spent all this money on a HDTV I mine as well see what it can do. I'm not a big believer in building a giant library of movies since they'll become obsolete in a few years time. With that in mind I'll just rent them from Netflix. Between free HD movies On Demand from Comcast, Netflix Blu-rays, and streaming Netflix movies to my t.v. it's like I already have a giant movie collection.

Here's a link that shows screenshot comparisons between DVD and BD.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...71&postcount=5

I don't own an upscaling DVD player but the difference in the pics above look profound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
There is a sweet Canadian version of Netflix called "Zip.ca" that does blu-ray rentals for no extra charge, and its pretty sweet. 1 dvd out at a time, unlimited dvd rentals per month, 12 bucks per month. Or 1 dvd out at a time, 2 dvds per month for 5.95. Think I may do the 5.95/mo option for a bit and see if I even rent a movie more than twice per month.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts