AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could start from the beginning and buy everything new for your setup what would you do? What worked and what do you wish you would have done differently? This would help me put my streaming system together. I am basically starting from the beginning and trying to form a game plan. I can put together whatever works whether its NAS, several external drives, server, or high end pc to go with my network streaming solution. I hope to hear from you all.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
To record, or not to record. That is the question.

I have just a NAS that runs all of the time, and then media-players that pull content from the NAS. I rip from one of my desktops. It works fine that way.

But now my wife is asking for PVR functionality. Sage looks like the answer, but then I need a PC running all of the time as well. That makes the NAS redundant.

So I think it depends on whether you need PVR capability.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss
To record, or not to record. That is the question.

I have just a NAS that runs all of the time, and then media-players that pull content from the NAS. I rip from one of my desktops. It works fine that way.

But now my wife is asking for PVR functionality. Sage looks like the answer, but then I need a PC running all of the time as well. That makes the NAS redundant.

So I think it depends on whether you need PVR capability.
I don't right now but you make a good point for future proofing. My wife doesn't really care so I don't have that pressure right now.
I can't wait to get started I love a new project and having all my DVD movies and future Blu Ray titles on one solution plus web streaming is a huge undertaking.

·
Registered
7,567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss /forum/post/19623480

But now my wife is asking for PVR functionality.

Just do it. Man, I couldn't imagine going back to watching TV the old way. Not to mention having to watch TV with commercials in it.

If you use a hardware extender, you don't need much PC at all. As my 4 OTA tuners are all USB, I've toyed with the notion of getting a large USB HDD and turning my old netbook into the SageTV server.

That might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm interested to know if it can do it.

-Suntan

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'd start with a big honking file server, like 8 or 10 two TB disks in a RAID 6 booting off an SSD.

It would also be an HTPC, but would be sending it's video by way of HDMI over a pair of shielded cat 6 to the receiver in the living room. An IR extender would allow it to work from the remote in the living room.

WDTV Live + boxes with the modded firmware that does NFS would be put in the bedrooms to stream.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's what I am doing now actually. Here is what I sold or about to sell on eBay:

(2) WD TV Live

(2) D-Link DWA-140 Wireless adapters

(1) My Book World Edition II 4 TB

(1) Asus RT-N16

(1) Roku HD Player

(1) Oppo BDP-83

Here is what I have now:

(1) Dune HD Base 3.0

(1) Synology DS410

(1) Roku XDS

Waiting for this to arrive:

(1) Dune HD Smart D1

Running it all wired with Cat6 throughout the house. The Synology NAS should tide me over for another year or so. When I do outgrow it I plan on getting a NETGEAR ReadyNAS Ultra 6. I also may add another Roku XDS.

I actually don't mind commercials with Hulu Plus, plus I got rid of cable close to a year ago now.

These Dunes are the way to go for me. The Zappiti add ons really gets the content the way I like it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am slowing buying things now, I have a 8 port managed gigaport switch. I always have had the first floor televisions (3) mirrored so I only need one solution to these tv's. My Home theatre setup is in my finished basement. It is going to be the center of my setup, my office with all my PC gear is 5 feet from my home theater system so this is a short run. I got my eyes on the Boxee today I am impressed but you guys have me interested in the Sage TV thing. I am looking into it now. Thanks for the info and please keep it coming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts