AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 42WE655. I got a pretty good price on it because of course they are clearing them out for the new A10 models.

The problem is I cant get over just how bad the black levels are. Its especially noticeable of course in really dark scenes. It looks like when I go over someones house and they have the brightness on there sets turned up to high. The problem is lowering the brightness on my set reduces detail but doesnt make the blacks any darker.

I know this sounds stupid but one of the most annoying things about this dark grey blacks is when I'm watching 2:35 material and the bars dont just dissapear like they did on my CRT set. I almost thought about building some cheap masking strips to cover the bars.

My question is while I'm still in my return window should I just send this set back and get a DLP or are there gonna be things that are gonna totally annoy me with that technology to. My mother has a first gen samsung DLP and I cannot see rainbows on that. So I'm guessing I definitely wouldnt see rainbows on the newer DLPS.

I did my research on this purchase. At the stores the blacks on this set and the DLPs looked pretty close so I thought it would be fine. I did like the Sony pictures sharpness over the DLPs at CC.

Any advice would be appreciated. I only get one shot at this. Which ever TV i pick I'll be stuck with for at least a few years.

·
Registered
540 Posts
In addition to rainbows DLPs can cause headaches and fatigue.

Again YMMV. :)

Also note that just because you do not see rainbows does not mean that others like for instance family members and guests will not see them either.

·
Registered
691 Posts
If the black level is the only thing you're concerned with, you might want to exchange for the new Sony A10 with the dynamic iris. It should have much better black level. No RPTV (DLP, LCD or otherwise) will match a CRT for blacks though.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empire_of_one
No RPTV (DLP, LCD or otherwise) will match a CRT for blacks though.
Correct, while the black levels are definitly better with DLP than LCD there is absolutely no comparison with CRT.

Server posters on this forum suggest that DLP is very close to CRT with regards to black levels, I strongly disagree with such sentiments.

If you are used to CRT then both LCD and DLP might come as a disappointment.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I thought I'd like DLP over the LCD...until I got the DLP home. Within days it was rainbow city, which really is distracting. In less than a week I was back at the store ordering an A10.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolfanJay
I did my research on this purchase. At the stores the blacks on this set and the DLPs looked pretty close so I thought it would be fine. I did like the Sony pictures sharpness over the DLPs at CC.
Are you saying that in your home the blacks look worse than they did on the store model? Maybe you've got some settings wrong? Have you tried calibrating with Avia or DVE or such?

As for DLP vs. LCD, there also seem to be more complaints of audible noise from DLP sets than LCD sets, and complaints of audio/video sync on the Samsung DLP's seem to not go away (not seen any such complaints about and LCD's).

·
Registered
15,824 Posts
DolfanJay, to answer your question, no. If you have spent time watching your mother's Samsung DLP and do not see rainbows, then I strongly recommend DLP over LCD. Some prefer DLP and some prefer LCD, and it just comes down to personal preference. Last month's Sound & Vision did a comparison, and all 3 reviewers preferred DLP over LCD by a slight margin. They thought the DLP had better blacks and more picture detail, while LCD had better colors. The real question is which do you prefer. My Sammy DLP has worked perfectly for 2 years, and nobody has seen rainbows or gotten headaches from it (don't listen too much to the LCD fans above). If you don't like the black levels of your LCD and you do like your mother's DLP, then DLP is definitely worth a try. By the way, lip sync issues are only an issue with 480i gaming. If you do a lot of gaming, then Samsung DLP may not be for you, but if you mainly watch HDTV and movies, then it's an excellent choice.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for everyones replies.

dgburns,

Yeah I calibrated the set as good as I could using a calibration disc. It doesnt matter because even if I turn the brightness all the way to 0 the screen is still dark grey. The picture in every other regard is very nice.

BillP,

I'm interested in trying out the Samsung I guess everyone reporting Samsung problems has got me spooked. The only thing that ever went wrong with my Mothers set is the bulb blew after 18 months that could happen with any of these types of displays. When you say the colors were better, how so? Is the picture on your Samsung just as sharp as the LCD Sonys because in the store they just didnt seem to be. You know how that goes who knows what the feeds or menu settings were like.

My main worry is I'll swap out my Grand Wega IV for a DLP and then wish I had my Sony back. T.V. shopping when they are this expensive is very stressful :)

·
Registered
15,824 Posts
Part of hte problem is that HDTV viewing in stores is not ideal. Usually, the room is very bright (making assessment of black levels very difficult) and the feeds are very poor (with multiple splitters). To be honest, many of the differences between technologies are subtle, and if you don't have them next to each other, most people are pretty happy with either. I am very happy with the PQ on my Samsung DLP. According to the magazine review I mentioned, PQ was sharper with more detail on the DLP (and blacks were better) and colors a little more vibrant on the LCD. Without having an LCD right next to my DLP at home, the colors look great to me. The bottom line is that you are the only person who matters. If you're unhappy with your LCD, and happy with your mom's DLP PQ, then I'd say make the switch. If you do not do a lot of gaming, then I'd recommend Samsung. If you do, then take a look at some of the other DLP brands, like Mits, Panny, and Tosh. Don't forget that Samsung is the leading seller of DLP, which means there are more of them out there than any other brand (that's why you read more complaints).

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks BillP,

My setup is going to be very simple.

Progressive DVD player sending 480P directly to T.V. via component and audio directly to Receiver via digital coax.

Basic digital cable directly to T.V. tuner via coax.

OTA antenna directly to the T.V.s UHF/VHF via coax.

My main use for the T.V. is definitely DVD. Do you anything with this setup that might introduce the dreaded audio sync problem others have mentioned?

·
Registered
15,824 Posts
Quote:
My main use for the T.V. is definitely DVD. Do you anything with this setup that might introduce the dreaded audio sync problem others have mentioned?
It's really only a problem with 480i gaming. If you watch a lot of DVDs, you might want to consider an upscaling DVD player, connected via HDMI. Alternatively, HD DVDs will be available next year (although I wouldn't touch them for at least 2-3 years).

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Progressive DVD player sending 480P directly to T.V. via component and audio directly to Receiver via digital coax.

You shouldn't have any serious lip sync problems. I also think that the Samsung DLP sets look better when you use an upscaling DVD player outputting the native resolution through DVI or HDMI. If you get a 720p set then the DVD player should output 720p. If you get a 1080p set then the best you can do is output 1080i from your DVD player.

The reason for using the HDMI connection is to avoid converting the digital data on the DVD to analog for component input to a digital TV. That's not a big deal with your Sony because I think it converts all inputs to analog anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.