AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More than a few software recently, have taken over my Revo's main volume control, and raised it according to their likings. And I'm not just talking about some unknown softwares. The last addition of power dvd did it. It started playing using full volume.

Today I almost really lost my sound system. I used a tone generator program, in order to play some white and pink noises. I made sure before I pressed "play" that the main volume control is almost totally down. Then, when I pressed play, the tone started playing at 100% volume. To my luck, it was a pink noise. If I chose to go with the white noise first, that would have been the end of my system. I then discovered that this tone control program has a very "nice" behaviour. No matter how you set your main volume control, it will make sure that once you'll press "play" the signal will always be played at 100% volume. Really neat!.

Oh, how I miss the days where no software was able to penetrate your volume settings. To me, the lack of protection in this issue is worse than any "protection failure" Microsoft will ever detect in their programs, since in this case, I won't be able to just resort to my ghost backup.

Is it too much to ask to be able to protect your high end gear from sudden explosion caused by other people who have no clue ?.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hey Jones, I read an article awhile ago about a volume you could make your self that was passive.

The reason I mention this is it was specifically made for 7.1 systems.

Single knob with 8 controls on it and was suppose to be for high end systems.

I don't remember the name of it but I'm sure you could do a search for it either here or on google.

Just some info for you to think about.

ps. I liked your guide to DRC. I'm going to check out some day when I get time.

:)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
With the Delta cards you can only control volume through the Delta Control Panel, which means nothing can turn up volume (well, Girder can, if you program it to do).

So not really a problem for me, with active speakers that turn on when they receive a signal. Have used them like that for a long long time.

Though, I dare not boot Linux with the speakers connected, as I don't put faith in their homemade volume control.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Qyv10
Hey Jones, I read an article awhile ago about a volume you could make your self that was passive.

The reason I mention this is it was specifically made for 7.1 systems.

Single knob with 8 controls on it and was suppose to be for high end systems.

I don't remember the name of it but I'm sure you could do a search for it either here or on google.

Just some info for you to think about.

ps. I liked your guide to DRC. I'm going to check out some day when I get time.

this the one you are referring too?

http://www.dact.com/html/press_release__8-gang_ct2.html

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dm,

The price for this product is around $800 USD (not including installation fee). For way bellow that, I can get a pretty good pre amp.

The CT2 is the two channel version, and it really will solve most of my problems. I found it for about ~ $150 USD. Does anyone knows a cheaper place for it ?.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You could just write a girder script that loops continously - say every 1 second which checks the volume level and resets if it has been changed. Would only take a fews lines of code.

Mike

·
Registered
723 Posts
Work arounds are good, but Jones_Rush point is well made: shouldn't have to. SW should leave volume control to no one but the user. Use it as it was found and leave it as it was found. Muting and un-muting an input seems acceptable provided the user can control the feature but beyond that, any unexpected tampering with audio settings is heresy.

By the way Jones_Rush, which tone generator application was that so the rest of us have a heads up on this one.

DFA

·
Registered
733 Posts
Does the volume control on your Audio Receiver / Amplifiers / Preamp not work while using the analog inputs? Although I no longer use analog they do on mine and I always turned it down while doing testing.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
By the way Jones_Rush, which tone generator application was that so the rest of us have a heads up on this one.
"NCH Tone Generator".
Quote:
Does the volume control on your Audio Receiver / Amplifiers / Preamp not work while using the analog inputs?
I don't have a volume control on my amp. Only way to control volume is the sound card.

·
Registered
271 Posts
dm, that one is like the one I mentioned but the one I saw was alot cheaper. I believe about $100 USD. I just can't remember where I saw it.

I think it was here in this forum but not sure.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'm not sure about that design SamL: "This design uses four linear 8-bit DACs to accomplish both overall gain adjust of all six channels and fine trim of the center, rear, and sub-woofer channels." - that's from 7/2001 - I'd rather use 24-bit for attenuation or +4/-10 dBu settings if possible...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jones_Rush
3-way, do you know of any cheap, below $100 stereo passive volume controls ?.
AT46-1-A 46 pos. attenuator, assembled,mono $ 295.00

AT46-1-K 46 pos. attenuator, kit mono $ 195.00

AT46-2-A 46 pos. attenuator, assembled,stereo $ 495.00

AT46-2-K 46 pos. attenuator, kit,stereo $ 295.00

AT24-1-A 24 pos. attenuator, assembled,mono $ 100.00

AT24-1-K 24 pos. attenuator, kit mono $ 50.00

AT24-2-A 24 pos. attenuator, assembled,stereo $ 150.00

AT24-2-K 24 pos. attenuator, kit,stereo $ 75.00

AT12-1-A 12 pos. attenuator, assembled,mono $ 50.00

AT12-1-K 12 pos. attenuator, kit mono $ 25.00

From http://www.marchandelec.com/pricelst.htm - lots of other stuff too... ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Jones,

If you are looking for pure passive volume control that uses only a potentiometers, you can build one easily. http://www.percyaudio.com

carry some decent range from $20 to $273.

Hi Ray,

Well, without any EE knowledge I can't say if the ThatCorp multi-channel volume control is a good design or not. It sure don't look like something for a low skilled DIY like me. Unfortunately other than DACT, no other company have a 6 or 8-channel volume attenuators for DIY.

Sam

·
Registered
783 Posts
I had my Revo directly hooked to a Marantz 5 channel amp and had a few software volume problems as well. I ended up keeping my Rotel RSP980 preamp (they go for about $100-$150 on ebay). Certainly isn't "high-end", but the 5.1 input does bypass all of the dsp circuitry - volume only. Right now, it's an expensive master volume control, but does the job beautifully. (triggers the amp standby mode also - another major plus). Of course, if you're looking for 7.1, it won't cut it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.