AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The $5000 for the FPTV has to include the projector and the screen.

As far as the RPTV goes if you could tell the which is the best out of DLP, LCoS, LCD and CRT.

I want to make the most informed choice when I drop the money on it this summer.

Many thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
FP is the way to go. You will have an easier upgrade path. More money new PJ. Your room will not be constructed around a single piece of equipment.

FP offers much larger screen size.

I originally was building my room around a RPTV. Switched to FP and I am very happy I did not do RP. That said you must be able to control light in the room. Plus you can get a much larger image with FP.

I went with a 110 inch 16:9 screen in a 17ft long room. Projector is LCoS a JVC G11.

Just my ramblings

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
FP without question, if you have some light control. Under $5K I think you'll be looking at one of several LCD models. They offer high light output, good contrast ration, reasonable if not perfect black reproduction and excellent color. SONY, SANYO, Boxlight, Epson, all come to mind as some of the brands with models that would be candidates for your appliction.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
What are your viewing habits?

If this will be your main everyday tv set also.

You will need to take in consideration the consumables

Like lamp life if you go a route other than CRT.

If this added cost is no problem, I also would lean to FP.

I have both, My 103" screen motors down right in front of my

Mit's HD RPTV for the special viewing times with the dlp.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I agree with the others that fp is the way to go. However, for 5k there are many fp options other than just LCD's. A very nice refurbed or b-stock CRT could be had for that price.

Good Luck,

David

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Viewing habits.......it will vary from DVD, to analog cable, to sat, to HD, basically you name it and it will get viewed at any given time.

What type of cost would I be incurring with the changing of bulbs?

Lighting at the given moment, it could be better. With future window treatments it should be great.

Also my viewing distance will be right around 14-15 ft for the sweet spot. What is the largest screen that I could go with at that distance?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I sit at 15 feet and think my 110 inch 16:9 is fine. Total room length is 17 feet.

·
Registered
161 Posts
SanchezGZ,

Almost all of your choices in viewing media will be superb, except analog cable. Even that will be watchable pending your choice of projectors. Bulb expense is something that you will have to eat, bulbs from recent FP machines will run you from $200.00 - $400.00. Life expectancy per bulb depends on viewing habits, and the way the FP is set up. Normally they run approximately 2000 - 5000 hours.

I should add, that I have a 65" rear projection Sony in my family room, but hardly watch it anymore do to the sheer enjoyment of my new home theater with a 4' X 8' screen. Size does matter :)

Good Luck and let us know what you've decided upon!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would anyone be kind enough to post some links of projectors 5k and under? Whether it be reviews from consumers or from manufactures. I want to make the most informed choice for my FP ;)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The CRT forum is a good place to find out about CRTs, and the digital projector forum is great for LCD, LCOS and DILA.

One drawback on CRTs is that all that is available (pretty much) are used ones. One advantage to CRTs is that the cost is quite low for the high picture quality.

I picked up a NEC XG135LC with practically no hours for $4K. It is rated by most as one of the top projectors.

Before you make any decision try and see as many projector types as possible. There are drawbacks to each technology, some which may not matter to you and some that will.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David_Larkins
I agree with the others that fp is the way to go. However, for 5k there are many fp options other than just LCD's. A very nice refurbed or b-stock CRT could be had for that price.

Good Luck,

David
Cerainly true enough. However, after 16 years of living with CRT projectors, including referbed and used ones, I decided that I wanted a projector that I could turn on two minutes before I wanted to use it without worrying about convergence drift, soft edge focus and inevitable aging of very expensive tubes.

I took the plunge for digital projection and have never looked back. I gave up some amount of black level performance but not enough to lose sleep over. At my viewing distance my LCD is much more pleasing to watch day in and out than any of my CRTs.

I have a referbed CRT projector ....if anyone is really interested!!!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I for one am happy with my $50 DIY screen, it just depends on your personal preferences. Go over to the screens forum under display devices and you can figure out what you want/need. It may cost you $1,000, it may not.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Check out "Digital Projectors - Under $5000 USD MSRP" for many, many suggestions for setup, pjs and screens. I hesitate to suggest this as you will, rest assured, be given a dozen different opinions of what' best. It will become bewildering.

No doubt on the FP if it's pretty dark in your room and you aren't using this for all of your TV viewing.

We use a Studio Experience 17SF with a Da-lite 1.1 gain gray matte screen that's a very nice combo. Analog cable is OK, it'better suited for DVD's and HDTV. Analog Cable best left to conventional CRT unless you want to get a line doubler or HTPC -- see it just got more confusing.

Several things you'd need to say.. room dimensions, room lighting, and you probably should determine a preference for 16x9 or 4x3 native for pj and screen. Because the main thrust for us was sports on tv, a 4x3 native format was selected.

You can see a lot of comparisons and reveiws on projectorcentral.com. They are helpful, but they also sell a lot of pj's that are better suited for business purposes, like powerpoint. Brightness and contrast claims are questionable at best, and there really isn't any way to tell how a pj will perform for video. If you are going with DLP (I like it) colorwheel speed is a fairly good starting point to determine picture quality. Also native resolution.

I think the standards for pjs are woefully inaccurate, but they aren't setup for video use. They are possibly changing to give the consumer a more informed idea of what we can expect for PQ. Ruunco gave a great article in widescreen review about updating the advertised specs for video use of pj's. So for now - see as many pjs as you can. I didn't see any (none available around here) so I took the advice of many here.

To me, 5K should get you a pretty nice setup (ours only ran about 3200). Start looking around on the projector forum, and you'll start getting a pretty good feel for the strengths and weaknesses of various projectors - just compare that against your particular needs.

Marshall

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Again, keep in mind that I don't know anything when it comes to PJs. But, I have a fairly large wall 22x9 that I am going to be shooting my images onto, whether it is onto the wall or a screen.

Now my question is, could I project onto the wall itself? Given that it is the proper color (at the given moment a light grey) and texture. The texture on the wall now is a smooth plaster finish.

Let me know if there are any other specs that I may have missed in your question or that haven't been asked.

P.S.

I don't want to kill this thread in here that's why I haven't taken my ignorance ;) to the PJ section.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Plasma

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.