AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering peoples opinions on what they think is currently the best CRT for home theatre. Without cost as an issue, 8-9" tubes, whats the best and why?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I am very happy with my BG808s. I wouldn't do it over because I got such a good deal on it. I am a little sad that it the "s" model. That means that tubes are more money than another projector. Barcos are among the quietest projectors out there, and they are super easy to service. If money were not an option, I would go for an Electrohome 9501LC. But an E-home wouldn't fit with my low basement ceiling.

-Garrick

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
EHome 9501LC... absolutely. If the money really isn't an issue at all, the Madrigal MP9... which is a tweaked EHome 9501LC.

Why not the Sony G90? A very close second IMHO, but the 9501LC I believe will have more availability to parts and tubes and tube refurbishing down the road.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Funny,

I sold the BG808s to Garrick to purchase a 9501LC from Paul (GN2.)

I have not seen a G90, but others swear by them.

I have been very happy with the Ehome, they are loud compared to the Barco, but that is fixed with a fan mod (which I have not done yet.) I am still using the "worn" tubes in this unit and it smokes the Barco in every aspect. Do not get me wrong the BG808s is a great unit, it is very easy to work on, the picture is top notch and it is almost silent. I can not wait to get some free time to swap out the tubes, do a full setup and a calibration with my CA-1.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If I were to buy all over again, I would choose a lower end PJ over the BG808 that I have now. Probably a 7-incher with fan modding already done on it. Because the 808 was a bit expensive and a bit loud. And there is no such thing as HDTV over here so I dont *really* need the resolution the 808 provides.

Its not that I regret my purchase, I just think I could have gotten away cheaper and still be quite satisfied.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Having just upgraded my BG801s to an NEC XG1352, I have no regrets!

After a bit of a learning curve on the NEC setup, there is no going back. Once you know how, the setup on the later NEC's has every option under the sun for getting optimum image setup.

Also, after now experiencing the wonderfully deep and accurate colours on the NEC, there is no going back to a Barco now! I have been spoilt!

IMHO, NEC's rule in sharpness and colour accuracy. Plus the bonus of cheaper tubes than a 9" PJ.

Greg

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have a opinion,,, but that would involve bias. :)

I like price no object. Its where the performance is.

Hmmm the other part of the question is,, "what would I do different".

Hmmm.. I would want to spend big bucks and have a really nice set of lenses made by Schinder for our 9 inch product. It would have cost $200k for development and a additional $15k cost to add to the projector but it would have made a big difference.

Hmmm... There is still time...

A 9" is always better because the picture will always be better.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I did all of my gut wrenching, research and second guessing before I dove in. After a LOT of researching, interviews, and viewing sessions I went with the big SONY. Wouldn't trade it for anything else available.

Ted

·
Registered
411 Posts
I started off slowly with an ECP 4000, it arrived with internal damage and took several months to get it running.

Dying to see a large image, I purchased a Sony 1251.

used this CRT until the ECP was working...that lasted about 3 months.

The urge to upgrade struck and I got a BG808.

It's been about 3-4 months and yes the urge has struck again!

Now I have to decide among the 9" choices...

Hmmm G90, 1209, 9500LC ???

I keep this up and I will have a CRT in every Room,

BG808 in the Theater

Sony 1251 in the bedroom

ECP 4000 in my office

now where am I going to put that 4th Crt?

As you can imagine the WAF is out the window...I guess I will be too!

Daniel

·
Banned
959 Posts
i just did buy over again. replaced my marquee 8500lc with a... marquee 8500lc. this one with re-built tubes and the full mikey (parker that is). If money were no object, i would get the 9500lc with a full mikey.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Chris,

Ok I can just afford a set of Schinder lenses

If I give up 2 PJ's.:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would go with the Marquee 9500LC Ultra to get the HD10/GT17 lens. If I was going to watch at multiple scan rates, for 1080I& 720P HD and 960P DVD and price was no object the Madrigal MP-9 is the only Marquee based unit with a separate RGB Focus, found in the "utilities" menu, setting for each recall memory. I have setup the MP-9 and the correct RGB Focus was slightly different at different scan rates. I do not like to have just one RGB Focus setting and having to decide which setup should have the correct focus and which should be less than optimum. I happen to like their custom color filtering as well.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
i would buy a 9500lc with full color

correction if i could buy over again

don't get me wrong i really like the sony 1292

and it`s one of the best projectors made

but the tubes cant be rebulit

if this sad fact changes

before i need to retube i will

happily keep the sony

XANATOS

·
Premium Member
315 Posts
I'm with Ted. Once I discovered CRT (I was about to get a 60+ in Pioneer Elite), I spent hundreds of hours over a few months on this forum and searching the net. I was able to find a G90 at a great price and then, based on this forum, spent additional months getting and installing a Stewart screen, building and installing a mounting system, building an HTPC, and then had William Phelps calibrate the system. I wouldn't change a thing (and I was able to do it all for only about 50% more than I was going to pay for the Pioneer Elite).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.