Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background...

I recently made a DIY gray screen from a sheet of MDF. The particulars aren't all that important but what I do notice is that after one week with the new screen while the blacks are "blacker" it is at the expense of color rendition, add in a FL-D filter and the blacks are even better but the colors are beyond rescue.

So I'm thinking of going with my original plan of mounting the Parkland plastics material on the MDF to get it perfectly flat and going back to the FL-D, anyway....

So a hypothetical question, let's say that you are considering two and only two PJ's. PJ #1 has great blacklevel but less than accurate color rendition. PJ #2 has great color rendition but lackluster blacks. Which would you choose and why?

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
For me, colors over blacks and it's not even close. I had never heard of this preoccupation with blacks prior to reading projector forums. Once I read about it I started paying attention (on my RPTV) to what actually is supposed to be really black, and I didn't find very much. Colors on the other hand were all over the place. Contast now is a different story. But I would also choose colors over contrast.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
If colors look flat (or worse, inaccurate) it drives me nuts. Contrast is only slightly less important, and "true" blacks less so. I would also throw in that a sharp, solid picture is somewhere between color and contrast.

Fortunately, my projector (NEC VT540) fits all of these criteria to a "T". Color rendition is excellent, sharpness and solidity are top-notch, contrast is fine, blacks are OK (could be better, but I've seen much worse).

·
Registered
35 Posts
That is why the AE-100 looks so good, the colorimetry is excellent. The blacks are good for an LCD, but the black balance and excellent colorimetry are what makes the AE-100 a winner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.