AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say money was no object and you had to pick one TV to buy now, knowing they all have some flaws and these 3 were your only choices, which one would you opt for. No other conditions apply.


Panny TCP-55VT30

Sammy PND-59D8000

Sony XBR-55HX929


Thank You in advance
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,327 Posts
Well personally i wouldn't buy a Samsung myself, but the best choice from your list would probably be the PND-59D8000 Sammy - aside from having lesser black levels, it's picture quality is otherwise as good as or maybe even better than the VT30 and you get 4 extra inches of screen size.


The HX929 is the best LCD TV i've ever seen, but it still has typical motion blur and loses contrast off-angle, as well as being more reflective and way more expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your time to answer, i appreiciate it. Anybody else is sure welcome also.

You are also welcome to give me your choice as well.


Thanks again
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsal /forum/post/20789938


....You are also welcome to give me your choice as well.
MY choice would be the VT30
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
992 Posts
Love my Samsungs.


Bigger screen for less money.


Bluetooth 3d glasses that are way less expensive then Panasonics.


If you can get a bundle deal 4 free 3d movies 2 glasses and a bluray player.


If you don't watch in total darkness you'll never notice the tiny difference in darkness between the Panasonic and the Samsung.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B /forum/post/20790738


...If you don't watch in total darkness you'll never notice the tiny difference in darkness between the Panasonic and the Samsung.

It's not a tiny difference - the black Panasonic's black levels appear substantially darker. It's very noticeable, even when the two TVs are not side by side in the dark environments of Magnolia and Paul's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/20790954


It's not a tiny difference - the black Panasonic's black levels appear substantially darker. It's very noticeable, even when the two TVs are not side by side in the dark environments of Magnolia and Paul's.

Not to mention the fact that a Samsung's black level will get even worse if/when the black filter peels off. And the fact that Samsung seems to be more prone to spontaneous cracking (and the overall worse customer support).


Intel has been able to charge higher prices than AMD for a while now because they make better performing cpu's. AMD has managed to stay competitive by dropping prices. It's not really that different with Samsung and Panasonic. It's just a question of whether you're willing to pay more for a better product that's overall more reliable (although you can ameliorate the crappy Samsung warranty situation by getting a 3rd party warranty from a more reliable company that actually honors it).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/0



Not to mention the fact that a Samsung's black level will get even worse if/when the black filter peels off. And the fact that Samsung seems to be more prone to spontaneous cracking (and the overall worse customer support).

If you are going to help the OP...at least provide valid info. Samsung is fixing the peeling problem for the minority of customers affected by it. Panasonic refused to do anything in 2009 or 2010, but have begun to fix problems with 2011 displays. Back up your cracking and customer support claims with actual data. Both companies offer quality products and product support. It's unfortunate that people seeking help must sift through the fanboy nonsense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 /forum/post/20791264


If you are going to help the OP...at least provide valid info. Samsung is fixing the peeling problem for the minority of customers affected by it.

Based on the poll, it seemed that more than a "minority" were affected by it. And I damn well hope they fixed the fact that part of the screen was physically peeling off.

Quote:
Panasonic refused to do anything in 2009 or 2010, but have begun to fix problems with 2011 displays. Back up your cracking and customer support claims with actual data. Both companies offer quality products and product support. It's unfortunate that people seeking help must sift through the fanboy nonsense.

There's plenty about it in threads here and on cnet. It doesn't matter that most people won't have their sets crack. If they do, Samsung typically flat out refuses to do anything about it, even when the techs agree with people that it's internal and not an impact crack. I don't waste money gambling so if it were me, I wouldn't be gambling with $2k, but like I said, get a good external warranty and you should be good for 3-5 years at least anyway even if Samsung screws you.


And I was equally, if not more critical, of Panasonic's rising black levels in '09 and '10 so who's the fanboy here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctober205 /forum/post/20791387


A poll...on a forum thread? Come on. You have no data to back your claims.

That sounds exactly like Panasonic about rising blacks poo-pooing them by saying that it wasn't a real issue that was being blown out of proportion by "trouble-makers" on avs. The fact that you're a Samfan doesn't change that. I even own some Samsung products. I just don't have blind brand-loyalty like you.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/0



That sounds exactly like Panasonic about rising blacks poo-pooing them by saying that it wasn't a real issue that was being blown out of proportion by "trouble-makers" on avs. The fact that you're a Samfan doesn't change that. I even own some Samsung products. I just don't have blind brand-loyalty like you.

You have no idea what displays I have. You have yet to provide data to support your claims about cracking and customer service.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top