·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck between these two DLP's.

I like them equally.

Mits is about $500 more

Please help me make up my mind.

Will be used mainly to watch Blu-Ray movies and Sports (NFL Football).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Samsung HL67A750 is LED based...so no lamp to replace ever...Samsung wins on this alone!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I chose the Mitsubishi.

Brighter more natural looking picture

Brighter Whites and Deeper Blacks

Better anti reflective screen

Wider viewing angles and better edge detail

No apparent geometry issues

The 73 is significantly larger viewing.

I guess it depends on what your needs and values are. A tough call.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a similar choise, but it seems that price difference is close to $700.

Can you hint us where 736 is sold below $2700?

Major problem with LED is viewing angle. I almost put a trigger on it, but one review stated that putting 67" LED TV (750) on 28" stand made heavily compromized PQ.

That dude raised the coach 5" and picture got superb. At the end he just purchased new stand.

But the point is if the sweet spot is so small how can you enjoy your TV laying down, dancing around or sitting at the same time?

·
Registered
144 Posts
This was the main reason I opted for the Mitsu. There is a definite sweet spot with the Samsung and viewingfrom a 45 degree angle is poor. This is not an issue in many people's setups, but it was in mine. I have 2 couches. One which is properly in front of the tv(12 ft away) and the side couch which is 7 feet away off to the side. The Samsung would not work well in this setup. The Mitsubishi has an acceptable viewing angle off to the side, better then my sony CRT rear projection.

I guess it all depends on your setup. My Sony frustrated me when I would sit on the side couch. I don't want this to be an issue anymore. So I will have to deal with the wheel and bulb.

·
Registered
16,799 Posts
1. The older Samsungs (lamp based) had a better image (sharper, less noise) than Mits,

2. The LED Samsungs have poorer blacks according to many on-line tests,

3. Mits has a issue with dust migrating into the lens assembly that some owners had to have changed out (blooming effect).

4. Mits was the last to have 2 RF inputs and TVGOS. Samsung dropped these features. Extreamly important to me since I won't bother with upper tiered cable and have many OTA stations that aren't on cable available to me.

5. Samsungs are less power hungry than Mits especially the LED based. On and off, the Sammy is green, the Mits

6. Mits has a 'auto iris' that can't be turned off (even in the SM). It causes flashing with certain scenes. Many times it isn't noticeable, but others it is and very annoying.

7. Samsung's cabinet is more 'flimsy' than Mits. The weight of the two sets (same size) shows the difference. The Sammy 'flexes' much more with the associated creaking as the set warms up.

8. The fan noise from the Mits is much noiser than Samsung.

I use to have a 50" Sammy, but now a 56" Mits.

I would say a Sammy LED, but the poor blacks, reported to be worse than a LCD would be a deal killer (at least a strong show stopper).

BTW; the poorer blacks wouldn't be much a issue with sports, but surely would be a major issue with movies!

·
UHD Addict
39,212 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/14213905

2. The LED Samsungs have poorer blacks according to many on-line tests,

Is that with the current LED sets or last years models? I haven't seen any reviews of the new sets yet, other than hearing that it calibrates very well, while last years models were terrible.

·
Registered
16,799 Posts
I haven't seen any reviews for this years models either. Unless they added a gimmick similar to Mits with the 'auto iris' that can't be defeated, I can't imagine the problem going away like that.

I added one more to the above list that I forgot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Trying to decide on one myself. I was thinking either one of these two 73" mitz

Mitsubishi WD-73835 Mitsubishi WD73735

I don't see much of a difference between the two? Does the extra money on the 835 make a difference?

Main problem I have is I'm more familar with samsung, I have one now and did a lot of research on it. Main reason I want to upgrade is I've moved it to a different room and well its too small.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was in the same boat as yourself about a week ago.

I ended up comparing the 61" and 67" A750 Samsung's to the Mitsubishi 65" 65735 / 6. Everybody has listed good points in previous posts. Also, I want to say upfront that this is my opinion and mine only. You need to take all of this advice and go out there and do a physical comparison.

If this next paragraph is irrelevant to you then skip ahead to the next one. You mentioned a $500 difference between the models that you are considering. So I figured this might be a factor. Of course, you are paying $500 premium for 6" of diagonal real estate. If you compared the Samsung 67" to a Mitsubishi 65" then the dollar amounts almost reverse in Mitsubishi's favor. So if money is a dominant factor then you might consider the 65735 / 6.

I started the process by reading here first. I was convinced that the Samsung LED 67/61A750 was the TV for me. I wasn't even going to consider any Mitsubishi based on the complaints I read about the early 2007 models.

I went to various B&M and checked them out. I first noticed that the picture on the Samsung lamp models looked a little nicer to me than their LED versions. At one store they had a 67A750 setup right beside a 65735. My wife noticed the picture quality difference right away and pointed it out to me. This is from a person who generally thinks a TV picture is a TV picture and doesn't understand the big deal about it. I looked at them myself and I thought the picture on the Mitsubishi had a better picture with more pop and richer colors as well. Also, the viewing angle was definitely better on the Mitsubishi than the Samsung LED. I went back the following day and adjusted some settings and the results were the same to my eyes.

So I had to decide and for me it basically came down to this:

A) I could have a better picture with more pop and richer colors possibly because of a Dark Chip 4. The big drawback is I would have to put up with the lamp maintenance and hope that Mitsubishi has worked out their lamp issues. Price was signifcantly less, although a couple of non-warranty bulb changes could negate this over time.

B) I could have a lesser quality but acceptable picture with a LED light source and a little greener (electricity). I would have to hope that the LED maintenance (lack of) is true and not hype. Price was more too than the 65736.

I ended up ordering a 65736 because of the picture and price. Ultimately, I couldn't make the decision on LED alone. Although it was a major positive factor for the Samsung. If I wouldn't have priced, seen and played with the 65735 right beside the 67A750 I probably would have gotten the 67A750 and been happy. Unless, it arrived and had geometry issues mentioned in the Samsung threads.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/14213905

3. Mits has a issue with dust migrating into the lens assembly that some owners had to have changed out (blooming effect).

8. The fan noise from the Mits is much noiser than Samsung.

I thought both of these issues were resolved in the current Mitsubishi line up. I sure hope so since I went with the Mitsubishi.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I decided that the benefits of LED outweighed the supposedly darker blacks of the Mitsubishi. I also noticed, at least in the showroom, that the Mitsubishi screen seems much more subject to glare. I honestly couldn't see much difference in the grayscale, though I don't deny that Mitsubishi has darker blacks, just that the difference (if any) is not that big.

As I see it, the only significant drawback of the LED Samsungs is the limited optimal viewing angle. To me this is not a big deal, I just sit in the exact center; but this could be a concern for others.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They were selling the Mit. on one of the home shopping networks over the weekend. They kept going on and on about how the Mit. has x.v.Color/deep color and the 3D mode (looks like the samsung also h as the 3d mode). Anyone know if the Samsung has the x.v. color, when I did a search all I found listed was "x.v.Color support".

For me the deciding factor would be the led, even if it did mean I had to rearrange my furniture to accommodate the poor viewing angle. Nothing worse than shelling out more $$$ for replacement bulbs.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunwaterpool /forum/post/14228215

They were selling the Mit. on one of the home shopping networks over the weekend. They kept going on and on about how the Mit. has x.v.Color/deep color and the 3D mode (looks like the samsung also h as the 3d mode). Anyone know if the Samsung has the x.v. color, when I did a search all I found listed was "x.v.Color support".

For me the deciding factor would be the led, even if it did mean I had to rearrange my furniture to accommodate the poor viewing angle. Nothing worse than shelling out more $$$ for replacement bulbs.

Yes, Samsung TVs also support the extended gamut color space. However, it is irrelevant since nothing (currently) uses this color space, including newly released Blu-ray movies. Right now this is just marketing hype. For more info, see: http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/207gear/

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also the LED samsung is 120 hz where the mits you have to buy the 65835 or73835 the diamond version to get the 120 hz. I compare the samsung LED with the new mits 735 and 736. Samsung held it owns the mits was a little britter. But when samsungs adds the dc4 chip it will be as bright and have the same viewing angle.

·
Registered
16,799 Posts

Quote:
Samsung TVs also support the extended gamut color space.

That's just another useless marketing ploy.

As I have said before, they take away useful features, for stupid gimmicks!
Quote:
Also the LED samsung is 120 hz where the mits you have to buy the 65835 or73835

See my above comment about mostly useless & questionable features. Every test I have read with sets that have this 120Hz option, the majority were negitive.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My brother-in-law has a Mitsubishi DLP, and the picture is truly horrible. I'm not sure of the model, other than he bought it last year. He was showing it off to me like it was great, but the picture IMO was terrible. The "blacks" weren't even black. They were gray. I played around with his settings, but could not correct the problem. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my Samsung LED, because he seemed happy with his TV.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/14229219

That's just another useless marketing ploy.

As I have said before, they take away useful features, for stupid gimmicks!
See my above comment about mostly useless & questionable features. Every test I have read with sets that have this 120Hz option, the majority were negitive.

I go on to state that the extended gamut color space is "marketing hype", since movies (currently) do not support it; but someone asked if Samsung had this feature, so I gave him the answer.

The theoretical benefit of 120Hz is that by using 5:5 pulldown instead of 3:2 pulldown, you can avoid the problem of "judder". In the owners thread I explained that the Samsung is not capable of 5:5 pulldown and that the 120Hz feature is designed to support the 3D capability, so that each eye can see images independently at 60Hz.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Coming back to original point of the tread.

Mitsu 73736 bulb with DC4 chip or 67A750 LED with DC3 chip.

1+. Picture quality is better on Mitsu.

2+. Real estate is 19% larger.

3+. Better viewing angles.

4+. Lack of shadowing ("missconvergence" of edges especially on white text) of LED models as recently reported.

1-. Maintenence is higher (Bulb and more moving parts)

2-. More money due to size difference.

Both models would need extended warranty, which somewhat minimize difference in bulb expense.

This forum is not about money , but Picture Quality and exciting movie experience - thus Mitsu got my vote.

Today Big River price decrease finally pushed me over the edge.

·
Registered
16,799 Posts
justlou; That's a first. A Mits with poorer blacks than a LED Sammy which has been reviewed as having poorer blacks than LCD flat panels.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts