AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a few posts on other sites that say the ST30 (and maybe even the GT30 and VT30) have some strange motion blur or ghosting on games that are 30 frames per second.

Some say that Mafia 2 and Fallout 3 are good examples. When you try to turn in those games, the image doubles up. Apparently there is also an Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood video floating around that shows how the main character's image doubles up when you are running around with him presenting a sort of ghosting effect that some older LCDs had back in the day.

I am about to buy a 46 inch ST30 and I am a bit panicking if this is true. My TV will be used mainly for games, and lack of motion blur/ghosting is the very reason I stay with plasma. Can anyone please tell me if there is any truth to this and if yes, just how bad is it.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
This happens with all TVs, the frame is repeated to equal the 60fps framerate of the TV. LCDs with motion enhancers can hide it, but the lag kills them for gaming. Every TV I have owned has had this, it just gets more noticable the larger you get and the better the motion details.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
With the two models of Panasonic Plasmas I have tested, they both exhibit doubling of the images with 30fps content. It just seems like the way plasmas deal with the framerate. That and when 60fps content is displayed, there is a weird trail/ghosting with objects on a light background (mostly white exhibits this the most).

In either case, these artifacts are still the lesser evil compared to the blur and other artifacts from LCD/LEDs (I've owned many these past few years), as well as the hideous input lag LCD/LEDs have when you use them in their BEST settings that eliminate motion blur (Usually engaging Blur Reduction to max, allowing a full 1080p motion resolution at the expense of some crazy input lag).

Having owned mostly LCDs (various Samsungs mostly), an LED DLP (Samsung 67" A750), an 3LCD projector Epson 8300 (great input lag, terrible motion blur), and a Sony HD CRT. The Plasmas have overall the best performance for gaming on big screens for me. The Sony HD CRT is still the best at handling motion and input lag (there is none), but that thing was impractical, super heavy, and 720p only.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This happens mostly on games where the framerate is pretty unstable. Games that are a real solid 30 or 60fps won't display this issue. Unfortunately, a lot of games have variable framerates. Still, I'd take the little but of ghosting, which is mostly unnoticeable, over really bad blur.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.