AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....between keeping a Sony KDL-46VL150 or downgrading to a LG 42LH90, what would you do?

When I purchased my Sony from Costco, an LED set was just not in my budget. Now I have an opportunity to get the LG 42LH90 for about the same amount I paid for the Sony. Would you guys downsize for that set?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
yeah viewing distance would be the major factor.

for most living rooms 42" is too small 46" is ok but i think 50"+ is better

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18186766

What's our seating distance?

I can't imagine going smaller than a 46"

Seating distance is 9.5-10ft.

My living room is pretty small.

Oddly enough the dimensions of the 2 sets are about the same. I guess LG must have a pretty thick bezel.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
its way too small for 10 ft imho

our seating distance is 10 feet as well

we had a Toshiba 40" 120hz LCD TV and returned it because it was too small

we bought a 50" 720p panasonic plasma for the same price and everyone in our house agrees the 50" 720p plasma blows the 40" 1080p 120hz LCD out of the water

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, I was thinking it might not be worth losing the 4" but just wanted to see what others here would do. I respect your guys opinions and thats why I asked.

LED would be nice but I'll stick with the 46" Sony for now.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer /forum/post/18186803

My living room is pretty small.

Oddly enough the dimensions of the 2 sets are about the same. I guess LG must have a pretty thick bezel.

Since the optimum size for 9.5' is 70", I wouldn't go smaller.

Even with a 46" display, not only are you not getting any benefit of 1080p, you're not even getting the full benefit of 720p. No matter how good the set is, don't go down in size. You need to go up.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18186830

Since the optimum size for 9.5' is 70", I wouldn't go smaller.

Even with a 46" display, not only are you not getting any benefit of 1080p, you're not even getting the full benefit of 720p. No matter how good the set is, don't go down in size. You need to go up.

Well, sitting at 10' away and watching blu-ray movies in 1080p, on the 46", it looks pretty damn awesome. My wife has been complaining that the TV is too big. I told her nothing is ever too big!
I just got the Sony several weeks ago and the TV we had before it was a 37".

·
Registered
3,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer /forum/post/18186856

Well, sitting at 10' away and watching blu-ray movies in 1080p, on the 46", it looks pretty damn awesome. My wife has been complaining that the TV is too big. I told her nothing is ever too big!

my brothers wife also complained when we wanted to return the 40" and get a 50" but once we got it home and hooked up even she agrees it was a good choice

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer /forum/post/18186856

Just think how awesome it would be if you could actually see the detail that 1080p provides. Move up to about 6.5' and you'll see detail you never even realized was there.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/18186867

my brothers wife also complained when we wanted to return the 40" and get a 50" but once we got it home and hooked up even she agrees it was a good choice

Yep. We sit 12.5' away from our 65" in the living room and my wife refuses to watch movies there. She insists on watching from 13' away on the 126" screen in the theater. She'll watch TV on it (as will I), but movies deserve a big screen.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer /forum/post/18186803

Keep the 46". Go bigger if you can afford it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18186910

Just think how awesome it would be if you could actually see the detail that 1080p provides. Move up to about 6.5' and you'll see detail you never even realized was there.

So for a 46" set you need to sit 3.5' from it to take advantage of 1080p? Wow, that's way too close. I wouldn't be able to take everything in.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer /forum/post/18187014

So for a 46" set you need to sit 3.5' from it to take advantage of 1080p? Wow, that's way too close. I wouldn't be able to take everything in.

I don't agree with that. The recommended THX viewing distance would be 5.1 feet, the maximum recommended THX viewing distance would be 7.2 feet, and the maximum recommended SMPTE distance would be 6.2 feet. What that means is that if you are between 5 and 7 feet with the 46", you're doing good. Since you are at about 10 feet, you should keep that 46", or go bigger if you can.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18186910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setzer /forum/post/18187014

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Where did the 3.5 come from? LOL.

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen /forum/post/18187039

I don't agree with that. The recommended THX viewing distance would be 5.1 feet, the maximum recommended THX viewing distance would be 7.2 feet, and the maximum recommended SMPTE distance would be 6.2 feet.

All of these numbers are for home theaters, not living rooms.

A 70" screen at 9' may be perfectly normal in a Home Theater. In a typical living room, it's kinda huge.

If you're watching nothing but Blu-ray, then by all means, get the biggest screen that will fit in your house.

If you're watching real world TV, you might want to go a little bit smaller. Some of these broadcast programs can look really crappy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu /forum/post/18187085

Sorry, thought you said to move up 6.5'. So I took that number from my viewing distance of 10' and came up with 3.5'.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts