AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gents,

I recently traded my Samsung HL-S6187W for a Pioneer PRO-151FD (both ISF calibrated). I understand the Pioneer has more features than the Samsung that I would like to take advantage of (ex. better refresh rate)

The following are the electronics in the system:

- Oppo BD-83

- Satellite TV Receiver

- DIY 6-channel Amplifier

- 2-channel Class A Amplifier

- 5 DIY Speakers

For grins I will put a CAP of $1,000 on what one may suggest. Would you guys keep the V-661 and implement a work around to take advantage of the Pioneer's features or would you replace the receiver with a different receiver that everything can pass through? All suggestions/ideas are welcomed of course.

FWIW, this system is also for 2-channel listening as well. There may a preamp incorporated into the mix in the near future.

Please help me out as I have been out of the mix for a while. I apologize for this question if it was left too open-ended.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The 661 is a good preamp -- what features are you looking to add?

If you are looking for video processing, I don't believe anything short of a DVDO Edge will help you much. Although I came very close, I personally have been unable to adjust my DVDO Edge to equal the results I am geeting from my BDP-83. Processing TV signals requires different noise reduction algorithms, I have a Algolith Mosquito and all I can say is, result vary with the program material, YMMV.

If you are looking for better sound, I'd start with your room. For automated room EQ on a budget, look for Audyssey MultEQ or MultEQ XT. Get a second sub and place each one near your main speakers to start with. Get a Velodyne SMS-1 to do the heavy lifting of room correction and free up Audyssey FIR filters for detail EQ. Get what room treatments you can afford (GIK Acoustics is reasonable or you can build your own). At some point you'll need a mic and measuring software like REW.

What amps and speakers did you build?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replying ggunnell.

Are you suggesting that the V-661 video processing will pass everything a blu-ray disc passes? I was worried that there are features (from the disc) it will drop before getting to the Pioneer. I wasn't sure.

Your advice regarding the audio output of the system was great. I intended on doing everything you listed.

The DIY L/R speakers are a 3-way consisting of a Raal 140-15D, an AudioTechnology 18H and a Scan-Speak 26W/8867T. The center channel is an WMTW with a pair of Dayton RS180 drivers, an AudioTechnology 15H and a Scan-Speak 6600 tweeter. The rear speakers are a 2-way ported design utilizing a Seas Excel W18EX and a Hiquphon OW4 behind a waveguide.

Here is a picture before it was finished:
http://www.audiotechnology.dk/iz.asp...|7||TylerF.JPG

The DIY amp is based on the LM4780 chip. It did not turn out exactly as planned but it holds its own.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You mentioned refresh rate. Your receiver has no bearing on that - it's an internal TV process.

Does the TV have true 24 fps processing? Many don't, they just convert it to their fixed rate. You can check to see if the 661 has 24fps support.

I don't believe the 661 could decode lossless audio. On the other hand, it should work with a player that has decoding for TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio - audio is passed via MPCM over HDMI.

Deep Color and xvYCC, which were added with HDMI 1.3 have no bearing on Blu-ray.

The last thing I can think of is automatic lip sync, which is available on some HDMI 1.3 AVRs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks fellas. I guess I will continue to use the V-661 and save my money. From what you two have said it seems the V-661 will support the latest technology and hold back the tv from performing at its best.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
The 661 will pass any and all video that you can come up with except deep color. It is HDMI 1.2 rated. Obviously it does not decode HD audio, but you can feed it 5.1 PCM and it will matrix DD PLIIx over that for 7.1. Apart from the lack of HDMI inputs and HD audio decoding there's not much reason to upgrade. The newer AVRs also offer OSD over HDMI, which the 661 does not. Since you're a bit new to all this, you should hang on to it and start reading up so you can make an informed decision later on about upgrading. There is a 661 thread in here where you can get help with setup and such.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, you see right through me. I have been reading about the current technology and I keep getting more confused.

May I ask another question?

If I wanted to obtain the best sound quality from a BD concert or DVD-A I would need to purchase a receiver or processor to do the decoding of the HD audio? The Oppo can do the decoding but I am confused what happens to the output form the Oppo inside the Yamaha.

I do apologize for not parking these questions on the V661 users' thread. There is too much going on in it for me. Thank you all for helping me out.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If the Oppo decodes the lossless audio, it sends the lossless audio as PCM data through the HDMI connection.

If the receiver decoded the audio, the Oppo would send the undecoded audio to the receiver over HDMI.

In my opinion, there is no compelling advantage to receiver side decoding - in your case and in my opinion, you are fine having the Oppo do the decoding. There's even an advantage to having the Oppo decode near as I can tell when dealing with secondary audio on the disc such as commentary.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
+1 to what MJH said!

The Oppo does an outstanding job of decoding and sending the signal to your receiver as decoded multichannel PCM over your HDMI connection. I have a Z11 and I'm letting the Oppo do the decoding!

If you'd have gotten just about any other player in the Oppo's price range you'd have gotten a different answer

·
Registered
22,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1216 /forum/post/17049714

Haha, you see right through me. I have been reading about the current technology and I keep getting more confused.

May I ask another question?

If I wanted to obtain the best sound quality from a BD concert or DVD-A I would need to purchase a receiver or processor to do the decoding of the HD audio? The Oppo can do the decoding but I am confused what happens to the output form the Oppo inside the Yamaha.

I do apologize for not parking these questions on the V661 users' thread. There is too much going on in it for me. Thank you all for helping me out.

+2 to the previous posts. Lossless audio on BD and DVD-A is simply packed like a zip file. There is no real decoding involved, and it can be sent in all it's lossless glory to the 661 over HDMI. The 661 can accept LPCM 5.1 at 24/192 which is far more that you'll get from most BD or DVD-A. Most BD is 24/48 and most DVD-A is 24/96. The 661 will treat it as it does any input, applying DSP, extended decoders, etc.

I used the 661 for most of my beta testing of the Oppo, they make a good pair. Just set the Oppo to output PCM over HDMI and forget about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts