AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, lived in a tiny home all these years and loved my Infinity Modulus II 5.1 system and the Yamaha HTR 500 receiver.

Moved in a place where I have a decent sized basement (not a dedicated HT room) and want to get a nice setup done for movies and music.

Here is what I hope to have in my setup -

a) Projector w/screen

b) AV Receiver

c) Floor standing speakers

d) Center

e) Rears (Wall mounted)

Budget: ~$6000

Please, please throw in some ideas on what I should get or if should I wait and save up more.

Thanks a ton!

LD

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
Projector: Panny or Epson, screen to match the projector you choose

Receiver Yamaha "A" series, Denon, or Marantz

Speakers: Def Tech Mythos or GoldenEar Triton

No sub?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
For subs, research and ask for recommendations in the AVS subwoofer forum and look into Internet direct brands SVS Sound, HSU Research, Power Sound Audio, Rythmik Audio, and Outlaw Audio. All of those companies make great subwoofers that are far better values than anything you would be able to buy locally. Subwoofer performance is tied to room size, so be sure to budget enough sub for your room.

Reactions: luvdodo

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have an Epson Pro Cinema 6030 projector and love it. I went with a Carada screen and am very pleased so far. The list of receivers mentioned is good but I would also add Pioneer to that list. The sub list is a very good one. Buy one of those mentioned and you will be happy. Duals are better for larger rooms.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For Speakers on your budget, I'd go with EMPtek tower speakers, center, and surrounds. I went and listened to the EMPtek (RBH) speakers at their factory in Layton, Utah! The towers sound really good for the money!

Receiver: Check out Accessories4less.com! I purchased a Denon 2313 factory refurb for a fraction of the cost!

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
For budget price ranges, I have always liked definitive technology speakers. They produce a great sound for the money that will really pull you into home audio. If you wind up becoming an audiophile, they can be sold fairly easily and you can "upgrade" as one does around here. Their in-wall and in-ceiling options sound quite decent for the money. I did a bunch of their big in-ceiling speakers at refurbished prices that I got off ebay.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
If you are going to look at Brick & Mortar stores for speakers, I would recommend these brands: Totem, Vandersteen, Ariel, and Dynaudio. Look for stores that allow free in-home demos of the speakers that pass the in-store test.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar  /t/1520067/if-you-were-me-what-would-you-get#post_24418016

For budget price ranges, I have always liked definitive technology speakers. They produce a great sound for the money that will really pull you into home audio. If you wind up becoming an audiophile, they can be sold fairly easily and you can "upgrade" as one does around here. Their in-wall and in-ceiling options sound quite decent for the money. I did a bunch of their big in-ceiling speakers at refurbished prices that I got off ebay.

I love my Def Techs. Best Buy Magnolia carries them. You can go to Bajawaverunner and buy refurbs for a fraction of the price of new speakers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751  /t/1520067/if-you-were-me-what-would-you-get#post_24418626

Do they have to be towers? Are you able to do a false wall for the projector?

I am guessing that's an added expense but will definitely make it look good! I'll check how much it would cost.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderDelarg  /t/1520067/if-you-were-me-what-would-you-get#post_24419918

I love my Def Techs. Best Buy Magnolia carries them. You can go to Bajawaverunner and buy refurbs for a fraction of the price of new speakers.

Defn good prices. The mythos STS are available for a decent price. I've shortlisted those

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdodo  /t/1520067/if-you-were-me-what-would-you-get#post_24423820

I am guessing that's an added expense but will definitely make it look good! I'll check how much it would cost.

Oops. I meant for the screen actually. If you make a false wall you would use a acoustically transparent screen and put the speakers behind it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For the speakers I have the klipsch reference 7ii and the definitive mythos STS . The defn seems so very tall, hope I don't have the kids trying to climb into it...lol

Anyone experienced both set of speakers ? Which one did you like..

Other comparables?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,271 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751  /t/1520067/if-you-were-me-what-would-you-get#post_24425424

many people make their own but there are also many commercial offerings. here are a couple examples

http://www.seymourav.com/screens.asp

http://elitescreens.com/index.php/en/products/screen-material-93264/1256-acousticpro-4k

http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/seymour_screenDiagonal.html

Oh wow! Amazing, thanks Brian. I am pretty pathetic with DIY...so...will ask the installer who's coming in to see what he can do...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts