Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Subject says it all.

I'm ready to buy my HD set. I don't have enough money to go Front projection or plasma...but I do have enough to look at the 65 inch Mitsubishis...the only ones I have checked out up until now.

I've been living with a 32" up until now, so anything will be a massive improvement. I have a progressive scan DVD player (Denon 2800)...but it doesn't have aspect control on board, so this is an important feature on the new TV. Also, I use the Denon 5800 to do all of my video switching, an over abundance of inputs on the TV is unnecessary.

I will be sitting approximately 8-9 feet from the TV...but this could change with the purchase of a new home (soon).

Also, in the present situation, my wife watches movies on the love seat....it sits perpendicular to the couch and TV, foot position of the couch is only 2 feet from the screen or so. Therefore, I need a TV that you can see well if your off center 30-40 degrees.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else I need, please enlighten me...it's my first trek into the HD world.

Oh yes, I should mention...even though I'm in Alaska, we have an abundance or great dealers (audio and TV) in town. There is a Mitsubishi, Pioneer Elite, Sony, RCA, and I believe a Toshiba dealer right around the corner. So I do have the ability to audition the tubes...just looking to avoid the "coulda shoulda's"....

Thanks for your recommendations,

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I've basically decided on the Toshiba 56H80 as my first HDTV. I'm going with the Toshiba because it's performance seems to be on par with the slightly more expensive HDTVs and I think it will suit my needs just fine.

It will be primarily for DVDs and LDs, as I hardly watch TV these days. I currently have a Panasonic 20" TV.

------------------

Peace....

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom...

Anyone else? What are the collective thoughts on Mitsubishi's Diamond series? Do these Mits sets have the aspect control for non-anamorphic discs?

I need some suggestions.

Jeremy

·
Registered
398 Posts
Myself I'm also looking at the Hitachi's... I was quite impressed wit their picture quality.

So at thi spoint it's Toshiba/Hitachi for me...

·
Registered
734 Posts
I just bought the Mitsubishi 65" Diamond (WS-65907), but I have to wait until 6/30 until it's delivered (when I move into my new house!).

The best source of info on Mits TVs is at www.***************.com.

[This message has been edited by TomF (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
250 Posts
On thing to look at as you are examining HDTVs is the level of resolution that each set can display. Most of the big screen RPTVs have 7" CRTs (often called "guns"). The best of the best have 9" guns. The 9" sets can display higher resolutions, are brighter and generally display a better picture (although many would say not a big enough difference to justify the price differential). The 9" CRT RP HDTVs include the Mitsubishi Diamond 73" set, a couple of Philips 64" sets and a Zenith 64" set. Unfortunately, these sets run in the $8K to $10K range.

There are currently some great deals to be had on the Philips 64PH9905 64" HDTV. This is considered "last year's model" since there is a newer version of the set. The newer version is EXACTLY the same as the old, except that it does not have the built-in HDTV tuner (which actually puts it into a lower price bracket). A lot of the bigger stores (Good Guys etc.) are selling the 64PH9905 in the $4,000 range, which is a GREAT price. The one caveat on this set is the fan noise (you'll read a lot of posts on here and in the *************** about the fan noise. This is actually very easily solved, as I have just found (having taken advantage of the lower prices myself). It is a simple task to switch out the stock fans with much quieter ones - the whole project costs about $15 and takes 20 minutes.

Good luck!!

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tom...

That must be the one I've got my eye on...does it truly have the component aspect control? So as not to have the tv lock on to the inappropriate aspect size...

The dealer says it does, and I think that this was a problem primarily with the 1st generation sets (maybe even 2nd gen)...

Hitachi and Toshiba are a couple of brands that I don't have access to....I know I mentioned Toshiba earlier, but neither of the 3 B&Ms here in town sell them...There is no Best Buy or Circuit City in Anchorage. Are these the places you're looking at the Tosh and Hitachi?

Jeremy

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ggolamco,

Good advice. Let me ask you this...how much of a price difference between the 4-5k RPTV and a decent, maybe "last year's model" FPTV?

Would I be better holding off a bit and buying front projection....someone (at another forum) just had this idea, and I wann't aware that you could buy one under 10k that has a decent picture.

Jeremy

·
Registered
250 Posts
I had to make the decision between FP and RP as well. I decided that, even if I were to go FP eventually, I would want to have a good RP set anyway. Front projection is expensive, not only on the front end, but also for ongoing bulb costs. I would not anticipate using a FP system for watching my daily sitcoms - it would be reserved for important sporting events and DVD watching.

The cost of FP (much like the cost of RP) depends a lot on how picky you are. You can get a really good FP system in the $4K to $5K range - some of the Sanyo projectors and the Sony 10HT are good examples. Of course, figure in the cost of the screen as well, which can run between $300 and $1K.

I know I will eventually go FP, but decided to take advantage of what I expect to be a short-lived opportunity to get a high-quality RP set since I anticipate it to be used a lot, even after I get the front projector.

Hope that makes sense!

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

·
Registered
636 Posts

Jeremy,

If you can wait for couple more months-then I'd recommend you to go for the new line up coming from Toshiba, Mits, Sony, Pioneer & Philips (phew!).

If you want a set NOW...well, you can get any of above.In my view Tosh offers best value for money and is one of the better TVs. I am not familiar with Hitachi or Pioneer TVs.

Tosh- have improved line doubler, qulaity issues like power board issues, multiple tweakings needed. BEST VALUE (price/performance), good color rendition

Mits-Good HD, easy tweakability,poor line doubler (you will need to buy an ext line doubler like iscan pro) terrible excess red-push (which you can minimize using attentuator), red-push in HD look at http://www.***************.com/cgi-b...&f=10&t=004328

You can browse through *************** for more info.

Elite- one of the 'almost got it best' TVs, but damn expensive. If you can afford one go for it.

Sony-Good line doubler, very little 4:3 downconversion, only 1 HD/Prog Scan input, incidents of banding observed with DVD/HD.

Philips- Best HD resolution, poor line doubler, support issues.

There are happy customers for all the sets mentioned. A well calibrated Tosh/Mits/Sony etc will look very similar!

Enjoy the hunt http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just took the plunge and the research I did was the most extensive but I asked a lot of questions and looked at specific specs. What I decided on bought was the new Sharp 61"(61R-WP5H). I have had the set for about a month and I love it. It cost me $3,200.00 after working a few dealers against each other and a price drop from Sharp even before it was released. The picture is great and the different cinema modes work quite well. I can watch 4:3 material through my Dish network SD side and the use a feature called Smart Stretch which pulls the side not the middle and it looks real good. I think the line doubler is state-of-art and it seems to work well.

It has plenty of inputs on the back and the color is rich. The HD side is unbelievable!!!! you have to see it. You can also put two 4:3 pictures side by side at the same time and they they are very large and look good as well. I would use my comments as the last word (hehe) because I am a newbi at this, but I am very happy with my choice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys,

Thanks alot...this is what I needed to know. I am not hell bent on a new tube immediately, however, I'd like to get the ball rolling.

For SDTV viewing, is an RPTV o.k....does it take quite a bit of getting used to?

I went by my local Sony dealer today and he showed me some literature (his only copy so I don't have it with me for model #) on the new line of Sony plasma screens...a 43" due out late this year for $3995 http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

This price sounded unreal to me until you guys started talking about FPTV for around 5k. With the prices on plasma and front projection dropping, will the giant RPTV monsters begin dropping in price? It only makes sense, whether or not you want the same technology...a 50lb. package that will hang nicely on the wall....or a 400lb. behemoth that takes a piano moving system and 4 guys to relocate???? I didn't realize how much some of these things weighed til I asked some questions today.

Buying my Denon 5800 was a hell of a hunt, but this one looks to be more of a bear. There's always something new just around the corner...kinda like the Mitsubishi DLP set for 15k I looked at today...as well as all the new lines coming this fall.

Again,

Thanks for all of your input...the internet truly builds an educated buyer http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Jeremy

·
Registered
830 Posts
There is a big difference in visceral impact between watching a movie on the 43" screen of that new plasma, and a 65" one on a RPTV.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
No brainer, get an Sanyo XP21N or JVC G20, a Stewart Greyhawk, and a DTC100 or equivalent or better.

Oops, I guess you don't have the money.

I'd still go FP, get a cheap XGA/SVGA DLP (LT100,LT150) or used XGA LCD.

------------------

Ken Elliott

[This message has been edited by kelliot (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
830 Posts
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't think the choice of front projection over rear is a no-brainer. Especially if the front projector is a machine with a highly visible pixel structure like a used LCD. I find the screen-door effect extremely objectionable.

[This message has been edited by BenBroder (edited 06-14-2001).]

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a 56 inch Toshiba. If you are sitting 8-9 feet away, I would think that 56" would be plenty and that you wouldn't need 65 inches.

Just my 2cents.

Scott

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Once again, thanks for the input.

I'm going to look at some front projection set-ups this weekend...I'm not even sure which vendors my local B&Ms carry.

With the new line of RPTVs on the way this fall...what are some of the new features to look for? More inputs/outputs? Better line doubler? Bigger screens? More manufacturers using the 9" guns?

Is there going to be a substantial over-haul done on the line-ups of this new generation of HD? or will it just be some fine tuning of already excellent performing equipment?

Jer

·
Registered
177 Posts
Actually the line doubler in the Mits 2000 sets is one of the better ones. It actually does true 3:2 conversion. Most so called progressive DVD players don't even do this. The new Mitsubishis have gotten some great reviews. Only problem with their sets is their abnormally hight red push. This can be fixed with the attenuator though.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]:

Tom...

That must be the one I've got my eye on...does it truly have the component aspect control? So as not to have the tv lock on to the inappropriate aspect size...

The dealer says it does, and I think that this was a problem primarily with the 1st generation sets (maybe even 2nd gen)...
Your dealer is correct (amazing). The first generation 9901 had poor aspect control; e.g., all 4:3 material was stretched to 16:9 to avoid burn-in. The 9905 has alot of flexibility. And with the 9" guns, fine-pitch screen, optics, etc., good HD images look incredible.

I use Theater 1 mode for non-anamorphic DVDs (although I try to avoid buying them). The panaramic mode works well for stretching 4:3 material (leaves the middle undistorted).

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Docrock,

I highly recommend the Pioneer 510/610 series. For your room size, probably the 510 (53in diag). The HDTV is excellent, and, since, for a while, a lot of the TV you will be watching will be NTSC, the line doubler becomes VERY IMPORTANT. The Pioneer line doubler is rated among the best available. I am very pleased with mine.

Good luck in your selection.

------------------

Have a Great HDTV Day,

Fred

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.