AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, started a small media room. Not really a real media room because I dont have $30k to spend. But its my version. I have a 50" LCD, ps3 for bluray, HD satellite and wii for the kids and onkyo 606 reciever. Its a nice little setup, but I now need surround sound.

probably going to have to piece it together one piece at a time because of money.

Id like to start off with a good set up front tower speakers. Then will eventually get a center and rears and sub...

Money is an object, so please keep that in mind. Id like something mainly for movies, but occasionally for music also... Like to stay $1000 or less for the pair...

love to hear some suggestions, thanks!!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Tower speakers under $1000....

Klipsch

Polk

AV123

Swan HiVi

etc.

A pair of refurbished Polk RTI A9 can be won on Ebay from Polk Audio Direct for less than $800

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Id stick to standmounts at that budget. I cant think of any model of towers for $1k with which I would personally bother. Unless you get some good "used" deal.

·
Registered
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/14296389

I cant think of any model of towers for $1k with which I would personally bother.

BS. There are plenty of good towers that can be had for $1000 (even less).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Problem is you can get some recommendations but you really need to get out and listen to some locally. Only your ears can decide. Music or HT priority? Good deals at Audiogone on used stuff. I have some Energy RC Towers ( 50's), love em...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i understand what your saying. but id like to at least narrow it down to a few selections to choose from. if i just go into a store right now I will be very overwhelmed and gullible for the salesman to sell me what he wants to sell me

·
Registered
813 Posts
Aside from the big box crap stores, do you have any local place that has upscale audio equipment? They will be much more knowledgeable helpful and tailor what you need. Most likely if you buy from someplace like that they will allow you to bring the speakers home and live with them for a week or so, good way to go. Big difference from what you hear acoustically in a shop and your home. If I can offer anything, buy slowly like you are planning and get some quality stuff.....you will be much happier down the line.

·
Registered
813 Posts
No need to feel dorky about it too. Just be honest and listen to some different lines of speakers....something will stand out to you.

PS: not calling you a dork........!

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
If you don't mind going used that Revel F12's on Augiogon for $840 will be one of the best bargains for an excellent speaker out there.

If you want to go new I'd suggest looking at the ********** Rocket RS450's for $699 + shipping. Free 30-day in home trial and they will pay shipping both ways if you end up not liking them and send them back. Aperion has the same deal and their 5T's are worth an audition as well.

Some other companies to look at:

Paradigm Studio series, Monitor Audio RS series, B&W 600 series, Dynaudio Audience series. There are really so many options to look at in this price point it's ridiculous. Visiting 3-5 dealers in your area for an audition is a must if you've not researched this at all. Your own ears will be the best judge obviously.

-Chad

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

Quote:

Id stick to standmounts at that budget. I cant think of any model of towers for $1k with which I would personally bother. Unless you get some good "used" deal.

Mostly because there are no Selah towers at that pricepoint right?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hey OObolt. Where are you located? Local craigslist my have some good deals....you can probably listen to them first...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK View Post

I also call BS on this. But for less than a grand look at used Klipsch Heritage series. Otherwise Klipsch RF-82s but you may personally dislike the sound. You need to go listen as has been stated by others.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Quote:

Selah Audio actually offers a floorstanding kit for $625 a pair which looks nice:

http://selahaudio.com/id114.html

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftkell /forum/post/14296887

Selah Audio actually offers a floorstanding kit for $625 a pair which looks nice:

http://selahaudio.com/id114.html

CADOBHuK may change his tune! The $625 price though I assume doesn't include cabinets (none of the other Selah kits seem to) so this is assuming that the OP has woodworking abilities, a place to do woodwork, and is skillful with a soldering iron.

-Chad

·
Registered
1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 /forum/post/14296899

CADOBHuK may change his tune! The $625 price though I assume doesn't include cabinets (none of the other Selah kits seem to) so this is assuming that the OP has woodworking abilities, a place to do woodwork, and is skillful with a soldering iron.

-Chad

Actually, Madisound and Parts Express sell some very nice veneered cabinets. But you're right, there is still routing holes, soldering wires, etc. Assembled, those speakers are $1,500 or so.

Personally, I agree with you about the used Revel F12's on audiogon. If they're in good condition, they'd be hard to beat in terms of SQ at that price.

I like the Aperion's and Kef's at that price point as well, particularly because they both have good matching center channel speakers. And they're good looking speakers for a living room.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts