AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What platform/brand/model would you go with for light switches/dimmer/etc? What considerations should one be thinking about before investing in a brand/model/platform?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
RadioRa2. More expensive than most of the system you read about but it works.

You don't want to get a cloud based system. And stay away from the Google / Apple / Amazon folks because they only maintain their product lines until they are bored.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RadioRa2. More expensive than most of the system you read about but it works.

You don't want to get a cloud based system. And stay away from the Google / Apple / Amazon folks because they only maintain their product lines until they are bored.
Hmm... Ra2 doesn’t seem to be avail in Canada. Would Luton Caseta be an equivalent?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Ra2 is definitely available in Canada but it may be distributed as a pro system. Lutron's lineup goes from Caseta as entry level, RadioRa Select, RadioRa2, Homeworks as the high end. Caseta has a max limitation of devices on one controller. But some automation systems support more than one controller that gets around that limitation. myServer is one of those.

Caseta is not an "equivalent" to RadioRa2 but uses very similar communications method (patented by Lutron). So it's a good choice but not as full featured as Ra2. Likely not the durability either. I view it as more similar to the zillion of Z-Wave switches that are available at same price point.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Good question. If I were to start over, this time around I'd marry someone very rich so I could build myself the proper Home Theater system 😜

Reactions: iTomHD

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ra2 is definitely available in Canada but it may be distributed as a pro system. Lutron's lineup goes from Caseta as entry level, RadioRa Select, RadioRa2, Homeworks as the high end. Caseta has a max limitation of devices on one controller. But some automation systems support more than one controller that gets around that limitation. myServer is one of those.

Caseta is not an "equivalent" to RadioRa2 but uses very similar communications method (patented by Lutron). So it's a good choice but not as full featured as Ra2. Likely not the durability either. I view it as more similar to the zillion of Z-Wave switches that are available at same price point.
Ok - I'll search for Ra2s in Canada... See how expensive/feaible it is.
On my main floors i have 10 Wemo switches and dimmers, and they are intermittent at times. I'm just finishing my basement where I will need 13 more switches/dimmers. I was going to go with Kasa's as they are cheap and apparently more reliable than Wemo's; but I'm thinking - with so many switches it might be best I invest in something better than wifi switches. If Ra2s arent viable, would Casetas be a better bet than Kasa's in your opinion?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Not to be rude, but if you are used to Kasa and Wemo pricing, you won't purchase RadioRa2 as that will be about 6-7X the price.
Kasa and Wemo are the bottom of the market, just ontop of Sonof and Shelley.
Both Kasa and Wemo use proprietary (at last check) communication protocols which restrict which rest of system components you can use. Highly NOT recommended.

Sounds like you should be looking at Qubino for Z-Wave stuff which will enable just about any Z-Wave devices (lots). Better quality but inexpensive. Caseta would be a good replacement, but that's only for lighting as a general statement.

As I always state, you should decide if you are going to automate lots of stuff and if so, then your first decision is on the automation controller platform. THEN you purchase rest of stuff that is compatible with the automation controller. You should NOT select lighting as first if you anticipate expanding your system beyond lighting.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to be rude, but if you are used to Kasa and Wemo pricing, you won't purchase RadioRa2 as that will be about 6-7X the price.
Kasa and Wemo are the bottom of the market, just ontop of Sonof and Shelley.
Both Kasa and Wemo use proprietary (at last check) communication protocols which restrict which rest of system components you can use. Highly NOT recommended.

Sounds like you should be looking at Qubino for Z-Wave stuff which will enable just about any Z-Wave devices (lots). Better quality but inexpensive. Caseta would be a good replacement, but that's only for lighting as a general statement.

As I always state, you should decide if you are going to automate lots of stuff and if so, then your first decision is on the automation controller platform. THEN you purchase rest of stuff that is compatible with the automation controller. You should NOT select lighting as first if you anticipate expanding your system beyond lighting.
Oh not taken as rude - I appreciate your feedback:)

When you say start with the decision around the automation controller; are you referring to the hub (like Smartthings) or the technology (like Zigbee vs Zwave vs wifi)?

As I said - I have 10 wemo devices, a Smarthings hub (not in use) and an Insteon hub (not in use). I've never heard of Qubino and will look into them now, but it looks like a z-wave platform. Could i look into their dimmers and have it work with my smartthings hub?

·
Registered
6 Posts
  • All non safety related devices: wifi (2.4 GHz for home automation, 5 GHz for notebooks, phones, smartTV etc., so no issues)
  • All safety related devices: ethernet including PoE + UPS + dedicated 4G router securing remote access and recording during power outage/cutting
  • Unifi Dream Machine Pro + multiple UniFi APs setup to form a minimum of 5 VLANs
  • Open Source software like Home Assistant
  • All cloud based devices patched (Tasmota) or switched to "serverless mode" activated like on BSH

No devices that rely on manufacturer apps or cloud.
No devices that use licensed technology (like Z-Wave, for the same reason mentioned here for Amazon, Google, Apple etc.: you cannot count on them long term).
No smart consumables (like light bulbs). Rather make the controls smart than the consumable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts