AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that IF has lowered the list price on the IF5700 to $3999 - what would be the better PJ - the IF5700 or the Sony HS20?

My room: Dedicated room with total light control, but I like to watch HD sports without sitting in total darkness. 50/50 DVD and HD sports. Screen 90-100 inches. Room 14x18. Very flexible on seating distance. Ceiling mount. No issues with rainbows.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can anyone confirm the IF price drop? Any opinions on IF5700 v HS20?

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
What's the throw of the 5700? The Sony HS20 comes with a long throw or short throw at no additional cost (I need a long throw).

-dave

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to Projector Central the 5700 throw is 10.4' to 18.5'.

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaViD Boulet
What's the throw of the 5700? The Sony HS20 comes with a long throw or short throw at no additional cost (I need a long throw).
Some people have bought b-stock lenses for the HS20 for under $400, but I believe that stock short and long throw lenses are over half the price of the projector itself.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
You are correct Darin, that's why I was so excited about what Dave said. He makes is sound like Sony might be offering an option now. BTW, the b-stock lenses are no more unless Sony releases some additional ones to the distrbutors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
DaViD, the IF5700 has a long throw lens. Mine is ceiling mounted at approximately 21.5' from a 119" screen. Even at this distance I am not at the extreme end of the throw distance for a 119" screen. Infocus lists the throw distance interval for a 119" 16x9 screen as --> 16.33 to 22.73.

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
I had read in an online review that the Sony ships with a long-throw lens but offers an optional short-throw attachement. One review (can't remember which) said that the short-throw option was offered at no additional expense. Hmmmm.

-dave

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Ok folks, I am *this* close to biting the bullet and getting the 5700 (yes, this is Mr. 1080P dreamer talking...). Some conerns are that the blacks on the 7200 left me wanting more...and I found rainbows distracting...as in every few minutes I saw an RGB flash. So I'm hoping that with some calibration and ajustment, that the 5700 could darken up (planning on a firehawk)...maybe an ND filter?

Also I really do plan on watching that 100" screen from 1.5 and I want to watch Finding Nemo or Sleeping Beauty and not see a jagged contour around sharply defined curves and angles due to the larger pixel structure of the SD-res chip. Even if "screen door" isn't an issue due to decent fill factor...I don't wan to see "squares" either. At least not the point that I can't "not see them" if I try not to focus on them and just watch the movie.

What do you guys think...should I take the risk and talk it over with the S.O.??? The throw sounds *perfect*...it would place the PJ in the bay-window area *behind* our back seating position which is just where it needs to be to get "buy in" from my Partner.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Some conerns are that the blacks on the 7200 left me wanting more...and I found rainbows distracting...
You meant to say 5700 above, right?

Just making sure that you are not planning on getting the 5700 'cos you found the 7200 wanting :)

I got a 7200 very recently and am still waiting on the screen to be delivered. I viewd the PJ on a VuTec screen as well as on a Firehawk at the dealer store where I bought it from. When the rooms were darkened enough, I really could not tell the difference between the two screens. So, I decided on the 92" VuTec as I have full control on the ambient lighting in our HT room. But, that's just my opinion based on my eyes.

I am immensely pleased with my 7200 in all aspects.

Viji

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Ok folks, I am *this* close to biting the bullet and getting the 5700
Have you considered a used Sharp 10k? Seems like it would get you some of the things that you want. If you are prone to rainbows brighter images would most likely make them worse and if you don't need the extra brightness of the 5700 I think the extra CR of the 10k would make sense. There are of course other concerns with warranty, etc., but I think getting the higher CR makes more sense in general than going with the brighter projector and using a neutral density filter. On a DLP closing an iris is a much better option than a neutral density filter IMO because it increases CR. And I personally found the 10k to be pretty bright in high brightness mode with high lamp when I wanted that.

--Darin

·
Registered
164 Posts
No question. HS20. Hands down.

More filmlike and less artifacts.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone confirm the IF price drop?
I quoted couple weeks ago from one of the online dealer, price was already slight below $3999. Is there to confirm? :D

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the Sony HS20 compares favorably with the IF5700 (LCD vs DLP issues withstanding) - it seems that the LCD Sanyo Z2 and LCD Panny 500 at about $2K street would be very viable alternatives as well. Plus you could save a bundle of cash for a nicer screen or DVDs.

The $3500 and under forum is full of HS20 vs Z2 threads where most folks feel the difference is very small, or that one feature here or there makes more of a difference in the purchase decision than overall PQ.

Opinions?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.