AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At IFA 2015, LG announced the PF1000U - an ultra-short throw LED projector. Did anyone have a chance to see this? Any first hand comments? Thanks in advance !

Below are some videos found on YouTube. Also linked are some online reviews.

Reviews
01. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2492874,00.asp
02. http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2015/1...ultra-short-throw-projector-home-demonst.html
03. French Review: http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2015/10/17/test-lg-pf1000u/
Google Translated: https://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.projection-homecinema.fr%2F2015%2F10%2F17%2Ftest-lg-pf1000u%2F&edit-text=

YouTube

2015-09-13 (viba)

2015-09-13 (viba)

2015-10-05 (owizard)

2015-10-11 (benjamin blanchet)

2015-10-12 (Tom Bley)

2015-10-23 (m.spin)

2015-10-23 (m.spin)

2015-10-25 (m.spin)

2015-10-28 (Tom Bley)

2015-10-31 (owizard)

11-07-2015 (redzoneos)

·
Registered
104 Posts
@kraine

when you see it , what was you impresión of it ?

The picture was Sharp ?
you put your head in front of the Wall try to seen the pixels ?:)

Saludos

·
Registered
104 Posts
at this moment this is only a guess

If sound like the other similars pf1500 or lg leds at the distance of 2 meter must be almost inaudible

but thinking what you say he go to fight for the place to the center channel

Saludos

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
The booth was noisy and I was concentrate to the picture so I wasn't borrowed by the noise but to be honnest I didn't really listen to it.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts

In the video, I have to say with the way it looked, projected on the white wall under those lighting condition, it appeared to hold up pretty well. I don't seem to remember my LG1500 looking that way as it seemed more washed out on my wall with that size...more ANSI lumens and CR, perhaps?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Reactions: owizard

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
For $1300 is a lot more than it should be
How do you figure that? This projector has a somewhat unique ability that will appeal to a portion of the market and that usually costs something.

I may be missing one or more, but I can't think of any reasonable projector that can go close to the wall or screen surface like this for even $5k, not counting this one.

When I saw that Sony was showing a laser projector that could go close to the wall like this I thought it sounded pretty interesting, until I heard the expected price. My memory is that the expectation was about $30k.

--Darin

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
This would be perfect for me. 100" screen from 9-10', dark room, drop down screen with my 70" LCD behind it on the wall. :D

Maybe it hits the US in time for Xmas.

Reactions: Jiminheimer

·
Registered
73 Posts
From that manual...looks like the U.S. model has Trumotion AND 3D?! : Page 53.... PF1000U

3D FUNCTION
3D technology uses different video frames for each eye to add depth to the
video.
While Watching 3D
WARNING
• If you view 3D video or images too closely for a long period of time, you
may experience eyestrain.
• If you watch the projector or game screen for a long time with 3D
glasses on, you may experience dizziness or eye fatigue.
• People with chronic diseases (epilepsy, cardiovascular disease, blood
pressure-related diseases, etc.), pregnant women, and people with
serious motion sickness should avoid watching 3D video.
• People with stereo blindness, or with stereopsis problems, should also
avoid watching 3D video content. It may cause double vision or visual
discomfort.
• People with strabismus, amblyopia, or astigmatism may have difficulty
perceiving video depth and may be fatigued easily due to double vision
or other ailments. It is recommended to rest more frequently than other
viewers.
• Because 3D can be perceived as real, some viewers may be surprised
or overexcited.
• Do not watch 3D images near fragile objects or any objects that can be
knocked over easily.
• Take care not to injure yourself as you may subconsciously try to move
away from the life-like 3D imag

EDIT: yes it certainly has 3D, even has it on the remote... I am getting this projector if the input lag is better than the PF1500.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
From that manual...looks like the U.S. model has Trumotion AND 3D?! : Page 53.... PF1000U

3D FUNCTION
3D technology uses different video frames for each eye to add depth to the
video.
While Watching 3D
WARNING
• If you view 3D video or images too closely for a long period of time, you
may experience eyestrain.
• If you watch the projector or game screen for a long time with 3D
glasses on, you may experience dizziness or eye fatigue.
• People with chronic diseases (epilepsy, cardiovascular disease, blood
pressure-related diseases, etc.), pregnant women, and people with
serious motion sickness should avoid watching 3D video.
• People with stereo blindness, or with stereopsis problems, should also
avoid watching 3D video content. It may cause double vision or visual
discomfort.
• People with strabismus, amblyopia, or astigmatism may have difficulty
perceiving video depth and may be fatigued easily due to double vision
or other ailments. It is recommended to rest more frequently than other
viewers.
• Because 3D can be perceived as real, some viewers may be surprised
or overexcited.
• Do not watch 3D images near fragile objects or any objects that can be
knocked over easily.
• Take care not to injure yourself as you may subconsciously try to move
away from the life-like 3D imag

EDIT: yes it certainly has 3D, even has it on the remote... I am getting this projector if the input lag is better than the PF1500.
The electronics are probably the same, looks the same. Probably loses some lumens with that funky lens attachment and mirror.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
I won't game on it so don't care about the input lag. It just seems like a great little projector with bulb worries and plenty of light output (at least in 2d) for a darkened room. Not sure if it will be bright enough even in a dark room for 3d though.

And I don't have to run wires to the back of my room or deal with a wireless transmitter, or ceiling mount, etc....

And it's portable. Can take this to just about any room, shoot it on a white wall, or sheet, or portable screen etc... Not that I would be moving it around, but it would be easy to do.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I won't game on it so don't care about the input lag. It just seems like a great little projector with bulb worries and plenty of light output (at least in 2d) for a darkened room. Not sure if it will be bright enough even in a dark room for 3d though.

And I don't have to run wires to the back of my room or deal with a wireless transmitter, or ceiling mount, etc....

And it's portable. Can take this to just about any room, shoot it on a white wall, or sheet, or portable screen etc... Not that I would be moving it around, but it would be easy to do.
You have a 70 inch tv, you won't be using it enough to worry about bulb life, not to mention you can get a bend and 2 bulbs for the same price, and have a better picture and bigger screen.

This is one of those products that seems awesome, till you think it through, then it's just kind of meh. For the right price i'd still probably be interested, but no way at 1300. So much better out there.

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
You have a 70 inch tv, you won't be using it enough to worry about bulb life, not to mention you can get a bend and 2 bulbs for the same price, and have a better picture and bigger screen.

This is one of those products that seems awesome, till you think it through, then it's just kind of meh. For the right price i'd still probably be interested, but no way at 1300. So much better out there.
I know I could get something like the BenQ and screen for less, but I would have to ceiling mount the BenQ, there is a ceiling fan dead center of the room, the Benq would be too low even with 9' ceilings. I would need something with lens shift and shelf mount it behind the seats (sofa). Plus, seems the lower priced offerings even in eco/low powered modes might be too bright in a nearly light free room.

Basically, don't want the hassle of putting a projector in back of the seats.

1 - 20 of 514 Posts