AVS Forum banner

161 - 180 of 514 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hi @Ponziani,

@kraine seems to be underwhelmed with the performance of the EU version of the projector. Since you have had first hand experience with the US version for a couple of weeks now, do you have any similar complaints or comments (especially on the image quality)?

Appreciate your input. Thanks !
All I can say is that for how I'm using it, I don't feel much if any image compromise compared to my Sony HW30. I'm not a reviewer though, just a guy who wanted a bedroom setup, and this projector is ideal for my needs...no way was I going to have a ceiling mounted setup in my bedroom.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Thanks, Ponziani

It seems to be out of stock everywhere in the US at the moment.:(
Yeah, I was thinking of buying but, New Egg is out. They almost make it sound like they won't be getting anymore. Amazon had one in stock this morning but now, they are offering it through another company that wants WAY to much for it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
Thanks, Ponziani

It seems to be out of stock everywhere in the US at the moment.:(
Yeah, I was thinking of buying but, New Egg is out. They almost make it sound like they won't be getting anymore. Amazon had one in stock this morning but now, they are offering it through another company that wants WAY to much for it.
If you have one close by, Frys Electronics seems to have it in store (as per their online store).

Edit: It is $1299 at Frys (savings of $100.99). Add it to the cart (http://www.frys.com) and select in store pickup.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If you have one close by, Frys Electronics seems to have it in store (as per their online store).

Edit: It is $1299 at Frys (savings of $100.99). Add it to the cart (http://www.frys.com) and select in store pickup.
Says it would ship by Nov. 2nd. When I try to see the price it want me to sign up, screw that. The closest Fry's is over an hour away. The savings would just offset the tax I would have to pay, so really no cheaper than elsewhere.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #166 (Edited)
SI announces a projector screen designed specifically for UST projectors. Hopefully it will help in reducing some of the issues mentioned in posts above (washed out image during daytime, contrast issues etc) with the LG PF1000U. But, I guess this screen will cost a pretty penny too!.

https://youtu.be/zw4-8Byp_fo?t=52s

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I saw the video of the SI ST (Short Throw) screen. To bad they are so damn expensive. Almost three times the cost of the projector. Hopefully there is a paint method that can work almost as well. lol

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
SI announces a projector screen designed specifically for UST projectors. Hopefully it will help in reducing some of the issues mentioned in posts above (washed out image during daytime, contrast issues etc) with the LG PF1000U. But, I guess this screen will cost a pretty penny too!.

https://youtu.be/zw4-8Byp_fo?t=52s

Projectors will always be washed out in the daytime, it's a fundamental way in which they work. Some of the ambient rejecting. Screens help, but they are no substitute for a dark room.

The contrast? TI is pushing out 10 year old dlp chips, nothing much will help there aside from buying a jvc.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
I saw the video of the SI ST (Short Throw) screen. To bad they are so damn expensive. Almost three times the cost of the projector. Hopefully there is a paint method that can work almost as well. lol
The problem with paint is it can't really be one-way directional like it appears the newer UST screen is.
Same with the Microlite screens, they can't really be copied with paint.

However, the Slate is shown to work a little bit with UST and that is a pretty simple [email protected] or less which is easy enough to copy with paint.
..That said, I'd argue their examples are almost purely using the room and a bright/small image to fight light and the screen is doing very little in their UST examples with the Slate.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The problem with paint is it can't really be one-way directional like it appears the newer UST screen is.
Same with the Microlite screens, they can't really be copied with paint.

However, the Slate is shown to work a little bit with UST and that is a pretty simple [email protected] or less which is easy enough to copy with paint.
..That said, I'd argue their examples are almost purely using the room and a bright/small image to fight light and the screen is doing very little in their UST examples with the Slate.
Thanks, Ftoast. I remember our discussion in the DIY screen thread a few weeks back about just doing a simple gray but, not to dark, otherwise it will ruin the night time viewing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #174

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Viba,

I am not considering any screen as such. I want to have the flexibility to move it to different rooms in the house. Really looking into paint options at the moment.

That Microlite screen definitely looks interesting. Thanks for the link. It is probably going to be expensive. I think Ambient light rejection technology has come a long way and improving all the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pulled the trigger and ordered 1 of the 17 they had at Amazon. Sucks that I had to pay $107 in taxes and $7.99 for overnight shipping. Should be here in a few hours. This is my 3rd projector but my first DLP projector. Looking forward to having a Back to the Future Marathon. Going to get a few DLP link glasses next week and watch that Guardians of the Galaxy 3D Blu-ray I got for my birthday.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
@owizard, @Tom Bley

Are you considering any specific projector screen for the LG PF1000U, or a DIY route ? I read on Microlite website that they also have a UST version of their screen. No idea about the price, but probably cheaper than SI.

http://microlite-screen.com/project/microlite-ust-blazer/
I'm not looking at a screen. At least not right now. I've been researching a little bit. The Microlite are interesting but, also expensive. It would be more than the projector itself even though I would keep it under 100". I may try just some lighter gray paints with minimal or no metallic and see what that does but, for right now it's going to be a flat white wall to project onto.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #178
Pulled the trigger and ordered 1 of the 17 they had at Amazon. Sucks that I had to pay $107 in taxes and $7.99 for overnight shipping. Should be here in a few hours. ...
:). Looking forward to reading your impressions too !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys - new to the board here.

Seems I must have 5 posts in order to post links.

I bought the PF1500 about a month ago. Cool projector.

One.

161 - 180 of 514 Posts