AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I placed an order for one of their 106 inch multiformat screens on 3/8. I was intrigued by the built in masking system and wasn't seeing anything else similar anywhere.

I've been pleased with Monoprice in the past but I'm not sure this purchase is going to be worth the effort. It might be a fine screen...they just don't have a good way to get it to you.

I paid $165 to have it delivered (I figured I could justify it due to their 15% off site wide coupon that weekend) and for that fee you would hope it would get here within a reasonable time frame and without a ton of hassle.

UPS Freight is just impossible to work with. I was told it would be delivered on Friday the 13th (that should have been my first clue that this wouldn't go well). They admitted to losing it when I called in and started a trace while informing me that I would get the results by Monday. Monday I noticed that it had been scanned again so I called in and was told it would be out for delivery that day. So I stayed home again. When it didn't change to out for delivery status by lunch time I called again. They told me that I would have to call the local depot to schedule an appointment because it was a residential delivery. I called the number provided and was told delivery would occur the next day between 3-7pm...basically take it or leave it. I couldn't arrange my schedule to accomodate that...called back...spoke to a supervisor...and was told 10am to 1pm today. Which of course they missed.

The truck just got here 45 minutes late. I had to help the guy carry it off the truck and across the street but then again nothing surprises me at this point.

Buy your screens locally.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm thankful that the screens aren't acoustically transparent or I would probably still buy one despite your warning...

Did it come fully assembled, or do you have to put it together? I'm just curious how I would even get something like this into the basement even if I was interested. Let me know how it works out. As you said, I've never seen anything quite like it and it would be something interesting to consider if it was easy to swap out the screen fabric.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has to be assembled which will probably not be a big deal. I've put together similar screens before. Although I have heard the instructions are horrible. We'll see....it will be a few days before I mess with it.

Not sure what the access to your basement is but the top and bottom of the frame is a single piece. So I imagine the lack of seam would be nice but if the stairwell is tight you may not be able to get it down the stairs.

I just don't think Monoprice thought this one through. They seem to be able to ship cables but an oversized item is beyond them. Under the circumstances I asked for a partial refund of the shipping charges and they refused to do it unless UPS admitted wrong doing. And my experience with UPS would suggest that they will think this delivery went just fine.

So ultimately it could be the best screen in the world and it would still leave a bad taste in my mouth. Buyer beware.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It has to be assembled which will probably not be a big deal. I've put together similar screens before. Although I have heard the instructions are horrible. We'll see....it will be a few days before I mess with it.

Not sure what the access to your basement is but the top and bottom of the frame is a single piece. So I imagine the lack of seam would be nice but if the stairwell is tight you may not be able to get it down the stairs.

I just don't think Monoprice thought this one through. They seem to be able to ship cables but an oversized item is beyond them. Under the circumstances I asked for a partial refund of the shipping charges and they refused to do it unless UPS admitted wrong doing. And my experience with UPS would suggest that they will think this delivery went just fine.

So ultimately it could be the best screen in the world and it would still leave a bad taste in my mouth. Buyer beware.

I just checked out the options on their website. They had more than I thought they would, but I do remember the hassle I had with delivery companies when I had my 128" electric screen delivered at my old house. I assume that disassembled the fixed screen would be about the same. I was a little disappointed to learn that the masking is manual, which really kills my interest anyway. Probably for the best.

·
Registered
19,061 Posts
I placed an order for one of their 106 inch multiformat screens on 3/8. I was intrigued by the built in masking system and wasn't seeing anything else similar anywhere.

I've been pleased with Monoprice in the past but I'm not sure this purchase is going to be worth the effort. It might be a fine screen...they just don't have a good way to get it to you.

I paid $165 to have it delivered (I figured I could justify it due to their 15% off site wide coupon that weekend) and for that fee you would hope it would get here within a reasonable time frame and without a ton of hassle.

UPS Freight is just impossible to work with. I was told it would be delivered on Friday the 13th (that should have been my first clue that this wouldn't go well). They admitted to losing it when I called in and started a trace while informing me that I would get the results by Monday. Monday I noticed that it had been scanned again so I called in and was told it would be out for delivery that day. So I stayed home again. When it didn't change to out for delivery status by lunch time I called again. They told me that I would have to call the local depot to schedule an appointment because it was a residential delivery. I called the number provided and was told delivery would occur the next day between 3-7pm...basically take it or leave it. I couldn't arrange my schedule to accomodate that...called back...spoke to a supervisor...and was told 10am to 1pm today. Which of course they missed.

The truck just got here 45 minutes late. I had to help the guy carry it off the truck and across the street but then again nothing surprises me at this point.

For most folks, including myself, that's just not possible. Also, virtually all screens made by Da Lite, Stewart, Screen Innovations etc. , are custom made to order. So it's going to be shipped one way or the other. Real freight companies usually do better - UPS and FedEx don't deal well with large weird shaped packages like that. Plus, they tend to destroy more of them. Anyway, glad you finally got your screen despite the problems.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and built the frame. I was able to do so without the instructions based upon some of the warnings I've read in the forums. I was able to build the frame by myself but since I'm not going to be able to mount it alone I'm going to wait until I have some help before installing the screen. I don't want it laying around off the wall.

It seems to be pretty solid and the masking system works well enough (at least mechanically...I haven't aimed a projector at it yet to see how well it lines up with the edge of the letterboxes) but it does have a number of quality issues. Each corner of the frame has two screws through the felt wrapped side of the frame and four of the eight holes were not cut through the felt (I had to use an awl to make them) and the felt on the bottom of the frame (between the frame itself and the bottom mask) is not fully wrapped around the edge and is peeling off. I should be able to fix it with some adhesive but then again I shouldn't have to. Not enough to return it over but slightly annoying considering the other issues I've had. At least it's not right at the edge of the content but it might be possible to see reflections off the silver metal underneath if it continues to peel. I may get some black felt tape and 'wrap it properly'.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm disappointed to hear about the quality issues as I am considering one of these my my HT setup (I really love the idea of the manual masking). As for the freight delivery that doesn't really surprise me. The level of incompetence and carelessness of the freight shippers I've dealt with at work never ceases to amaze me. They usually mess up several times before successfully delivering it, and usually manage to damage something or come unprepared.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
I have the 106 screen and there were problems with the masking system which seems to have been fixed with the latest shipment. Regarding the black velvet around the edges. It is easy to fix if you get a roll of black velvet tape sold by amazon and at a few other places. I think that the reason for the velvet being off is that the manufacturer had to replace a part in the masking and they did not recover it properly. Having said the above the screen is great and hangs with no problems. It is a very good buy even though you had to deal with the shippers. I would contact Monoprice and let them know that you had a problem and they might even reimburse you for the cost of the velvet tape instead of shipping it back. (Be sure to get black velvet tape not felt tape.)

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the 106 screen and there were problems with the masking system which seems to have been fixed with the latest shipment. Regarding the black velvet around the edges. It is easy to fix if you get a roll of black velvet tape sold by amazon and at a few other places. I think that the reason for the velvet being off is that the manufacturer had to replace a part in the masking and they did not recover it properly. Having said the above the screen is great and hangs with no problems. It is a very good buy even though you had to deal with the shippers. I would contact Monoprice and let them know that you had a problem and they might even reimburse you for the cost of the velvet tape instead of shipping it back. (Be sure to get black velvet tape not felt tape.)
What was wrong with the previous version?

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
What was wrong with the previous version?

Monoprice had a bad run with the bottom masking system not retracting. I took it apart and found that they had used plastic inside brackets. I had a local machine shop make new brackets instead of sending it back a second time. They stopped selling them until the new batch arrived. The screen itself is great and my masking is now working. I had take it apart and
that is the reason why I had to put on new velvet tape.

·
Registered
14,494 Posts

How in the world is one supposed to buy a top notch screen locally? My ST100 is 9 feet wide, not counting the frame. I'm not going to strap it to the top of my car. lol I've had several high quality screens delivered via shipping companies (not UPS) with no damage at all and putting them together takes 20 minutes.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The local retailer I bought my projector from could have sold me a screen and would have delivered it for about $75. Based upon past history they would have been on time as well. Screen Innovations is local for me too. So while a local purchase isn't possible for EVERYONE to suggest it's impossible for everyone is inaccurate.

My point is that Monoprice seems to have no viable means to get these screens to a buyer without a ton of hassle that they won't help you resolve. Other companies may use better shippers.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Monoprice had a bad run with the bottom masking system not retracting. I took it apart and found that they had used plastic inside brackets. I had a local machine shop make new brackets instead of sending it back a second time. They stopped selling them until the new batch arrived. The screen itself is great and my masking is now working. I had take it apart and
that is the reason why I had to put on new velvet tape.
Can you point me to the black velvet tape on Amazon? All I see is black felt.

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Can you point me to the black velvet tape on Amazon? All I see is black felt.
Amazon sells it but I suggest that you buy it direct from the seller at the link below. It is cheaper than Amazon and they ship very fast. It is a great product: I suggest the 4.5. tape.

https://www.buildyourownprojectionscreen.com/black-velvet-border-tape-45

Monoprice uses United Parcel Freight for their shipping company. Because the screen is oversized regular Fedex and UPS will not take shipment.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amazon sells it but I suggest that you buy it direct from the seller at the link below. It is cheaper than Amazon and they ship very fast. It is a great product: I suggest the 4.5. tape.

https://www.buildyourownprojectionscreen.com/black-velvet-border-tape-45

Monoprice uses United Parcel Freight for their shipping company. Because the screen is oversized regular Fedex and UPS will not take shipment.
Thank you for the link.

As far as their freight company goes for $165 IMO they should arrange for CEVA or something similar. Or stick to selling cables...

·
Registered
7,814 Posts
Thank you for the link.

As far as their freight company goes for $165 IMO they should arrange for CEVA or something similar. Or stick to selling cables...
I totally disagree. The screen is very good and you can't blame Monoprice for United Parcel Freight. I had a good experience with UPS. They called me the day before and everything was delivered in good condition. The problem that they had with the screen was not caused by the shipper. I also thought that $165 was high for shipping but it is an odd size and that is what most shippers will charge. I did even contact Fedex for their rates and they are similar. Price this screen any place else and it would cost thousands and Monoprice often runs 10% off deals which will help with the shipping costs.

·
Registered
19,061 Posts
How in the world is one supposed to buy a top notch screen locally? My ST100 is 9 feet wide, not counting the frame. I'm not going to strap it to the top of my car. lol I've had several high quality screens delivered via shipping companies (not UPS) with no damage at all and putting them together takes 20 minutes.
Not only have I had a total of 4 electric screens delivered to my house without problem, I sold two of those and had them shipped via freight carriers to Ebay buyers, also without problem. And they averaged $ 225.00 for freight - each. That's just what it costs - insurance on the screen value is part of the cost.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well since we're being smart alecs now roughly 6 million people out of a current US population of about 320 million could travel to buy a screen from near me spending less on gas than I paid Monoprice in shipping charges so I think the number is closer to 2%.

·
Registered
19,061 Posts
Well since we're being smart alecs now roughly 6 million people out of a current US population of about 320 million could travel to buy a screen from near me spending less on gas than I paid Monoprice in shipping charges so I think the number is closer to 2%.

And to pick up a screen yourself, one needs a pick up truck or a large SUV with a back window that can roll down ( or maybe a roof rack ). A Prius won't cut it ! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts