AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,327 Posts
I thought oversaturation could be addressed simply by adding some of the other two colors (which also increases luminance), or is that not the case?

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
It is amazing if this is real, 24000 lumen rgb laser module in 2RU case weighing only 35 lbs.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They had a contract to test five anti-speckle methods, find the best, and implement this, the millitary (display?) product has since seen actual deployment, according to the article.

LJG, that is 24K-65K lumens out of the lightsourcemodule, not out of the projector. We will have to see how many lumens get out the LASER Illuminated Projector, once these LASERS get integrated. Perhaps some efficiency gain can be made from not randomizing the polarized LASER light by the current fiber link, though I see Burgess talking about 6P for 3D,so that is not the way they are heading.

Note in the product description, the small unit is rated at only 10000 hours, while the larger units are rated at 80 times lamplife.

·
Registered
966 Posts
http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1002/j.2168-0159.2014.tb00114.x

http://www.christiedigital.com/Docu...nd opportunities - Huntsville - John Domm.pdf

A lot of the LP speckle is from silver screens. With the light output you can get away with white screens. Another thing LP likes is woven over perforated screen material.

"The four versions of the Illumina module are intended to produce from 10K to 65K D65 white-balanced lumens on the screen. According to Power Technologies, this is sufficient for screen widths from 10M to 30M (33’ to 98’)."

I don't know about 98 feet, may be up to 65 feet. I would be interested in their color light output measurements, never watched any white movies.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Xenon has been specified by Barco/Christie for the same screen size offering less lumens out of the lens. But with todays's premium demands a 30 Meter wide screen might require more. Especially since they did away with anamorphic/stretching lenses.

But good of you Andy, to point out that this is 65K Lumens at the screen. Because the product descriptions Matt refers to states 10k-65K lumens out of the LASER light source, that might be a huge difference. 120-130 thousand lumens out of 6P is more than current commercially available units. The first Dolby Cinema has merely 2x30K lumens, for a screen around 20 meters wide.

I just emailed Walter Burgess to ask, every-one refers to 65K lumens to the screen, so does the lumens vs screen size graphic, but the product info states different.

BTW, Arkansas put up $100K for the further development of the LASER from military to Cinema. Arkansas Business also reported on its initial marketing back in October, but both articles are subscribers only.

Those attending NAB and Cinemacon, please report back on your impressions?

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
Great! I'm glad to see some progress made to get rid of speckle issues. Hopefully it will be totally taken care on a perceptible level by the time this technology trickles down to the consumer segment. I realize there are a couple models from Sim2 and DP out/announced, but those are still $100K+ machines which puts them at the reach of only the very rich.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
http://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1002/j.2168-0159.2014.tb00114.x

http://www.christiedigital.com/Docu...nd opportunities - Huntsville - John Domm.pdf

A lot of the LP speckle is from silver screens. With the light output you can get away with white screens. Another thing LP likes is woven over perforated screen material.

"The four versions of the Illumina module are intended to produce from 10K to 65K D65 white-balanced lumens on the screen. According to Power Technologies, this is sufficient for screen widths from 10M to 30M (33’ to 98’)."

I don't know about 98 feet, may be up to 65 feet. I would be interested in their color light output measurements, never watched any white movies.
Hi Andy but this woven screens are gain of 80 so no curved screens then? Whos woven screens are now on commercial brands besides Stewart ( I remember Joaquin saying over my dead body will we offer a window shade for a screen years ago ;-))

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seegs, single chippers with their phosphor and colour wheels have two diffusing devices on board;-). Of course these don't have the (potential) advantages of RGB LASER modules, such as full Rec.2020 support, control over primary colours to combat colourshifts, and pure RGB to begin with.

Peter wasn't the reflectiveness, the second advantage to the windowshades, the price being the primary reason for selecting these?

·
Registered
966 Posts
Your right Donald. I would like the commercial units to move away from xenon based light engineering, that simply replaced a bulb with a phosphor and LE's. On the commercial side, it has to work all the time, no sticker shock and be easy repaired by a lone projectionist or manager. George Walter, who is now head of Christie Digital's new Premium Home Entertainment division, had some really nice, yet to be released, products for the home. They were very interesting. He didn't say how or what, but he said speckle was unnoticible on screens under 30 feet.

Having a light farm away from the main screen area with a single projector head is zero noise, and something i think will catch on very fast once it's mainstreamed. Now who is going to get these first, commercial or home is unknown.

I would like to see some info on it's full color output.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You mean the lumens? That already in the posted material, just making shure we are talking on screen or out of the lens lumens, as portrayed. I did ask about gamut.

As for non xenon based engineering that went with Kodak. IMAX seems to be forgoing on acquired Digital Projection Technology, again, after not using DPI.

Centralised play-out, centralised light. PD was the first commercially available split 'digital' years ago, like the split pack crts of yesteryear it was targeted at control room an similar tight spaced displays.

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
George Walter, who is now head of Christie Digital's new Premium Home Entertainment division, had some really nice, yet to be released, products for the home. They were very interesting. He didn't say how or what, but he said speckle was unnoticible on screens under 30 feet.

CinemaAndy:

You have seen the new premium home line? Would like to hear more about these, are they compact or just the humongous 4K DCI units installed in residents?

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
http://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/home-entertainment/Pages/home-entertainment.html

Lists 1chip, 3 chip, microtiles and lcd panels for home theater.

I did come across the GS series as part of the Home Theater line up: here they were presented at Cedia 2014: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...r-digital-cinema-projectors-cedia-2014-a.html.

The New Cineversum LASER projectors have the same specs as the GS series, the HD version is the same as the LASER Force http://www.cineversum.com/classic/lf_series/laserf.htm and the WUXGA version is the same spec as the LASER Force Pro.

BTW, I got word back from Power Technology, its product is the LASER Light Source so, they specify the light out of its module, as losses will depend on the projector design.

Speckle reduction is an extra option to their light sources, as vendors may already have their own redcution in place.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Hi Andy but this woven screens are gain of 80 so no curved screens then? Whos woven screens are now on commercial brands besides Stewart ( I remember Joaquin saying over my dead body will we offer a window shade for a screen years ago ;-))
I know Vutec's premium line, VisionX, offers curved screens (with or without masking) and a unity gain woven AT material as an option.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
5,201 Posts
Donald

Do you happen to know if power technology will have a functioning module connected to projector head at next weeks nab?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts