AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I watched this last night rented from Blockbuster. Oppo unconverting DVD player to 1080i and Mitsubishi 831 1080P HDTV. The picture quality was horrible. especially dark areas. I even changed the DVD player to 720P and it was worse. Every other DVD I have watched has been great (not 1080i great but really nice). Has this DVD been reviewed for poor PQ or has sometihng changed in my TV setup? I thought even teh sound was not well done, no subwoofer out to speak of. SOunded like stereo to me.

any thoughts welcome

thanks!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I thought the PQ was not bad...4/5 IMO. As I wrote on "The Illusionist" post, it was better than I expect from 'dark' movies. I just use my xbox360 with the HD add on even though through component I only get 480p. My cheap LCD TV does a pretty good job of converting to 1366x768.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I watched it over the weekend, Netflix rental, and I thought it had excellent pq. I also loved the movie.

·
23,039 Posts
The film PQ was definitely "stylized" - color pallette, somewhat higher contrast and some effects to make it look of the era which made it tad soft (in a good way). There were lots of darks scenes which will give digital displays, especially with improper calibration, a tough job to do. I'd say the DVD did a very good job of presenting the film.

larry

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
I watched it on my 46" CRT RPTV (ISF calibrated once a year) and I find a lot of blocking especially where the trees are backlit. Love the movie so much, however, so I can't even concentrate on the SQ.

·
Registered
421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan /forum/post/0

I thought it was meant to look like that. It had the turn of the century look of early films.

I watched it last night and couldnt agree with you more.

I also enjoyed the ending very much.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
The look was stylized, but I had some issues with dark detail on my 731 w/ Oppo 971 too. I figured the 831 with it's upgraded screen and detailer would have done a much better job.

·
23,039 Posts
With the higher contrast (stylized) I don't know how much detail there was to be seen in the dark parts.
There were some places where things were "iffy", but I can't claim it was a DVD problem or a digital display problem - no matter how good or bad it is. Although I guess turning up brightness might show what detail there is at the expense of accuracy. At any rate I problaby won't be watching the movie again for quite some time so as Curly once said "It doesn't matta".

larry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.