AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me fellow Home Theater enthusiasts, you seem to be my ONLY hope!!!!

In total frustration with my local RCA tech center who will NOT come to my home to service this unit, a frustrating inability to verbilize my problems to the phone techs at RCA, and a general lack of on topic responses from anyone online, I've decided to use multimedia to explain my concerns in the hopes that someone in the know might be able to help me address them or tell me with some definitiveness why they occur and that I must just learn to deal with them.

First, I've chosen a graphic from the Return of the Jedi Laserdisc to illustrate the three modes of the RCA F38310 and the way it handles the image.

Full Mode:
http://www.mcshanebowie.com/Ben/HDTV/Full_Mode.jpg

This mode is the only one that behaves as expected. Anamorphic content looks wonderful and I have no real complaints that some minor geometry adjustments can't correct. Given that this is a letterboxed laserdisc though this mode is not optimal. So moving on to the other two options...

Normal Mode:
http://www.mcshanebowie.com/Ben/HDTV...l_Overscan.jpg

This mode wastes a lot of screen real estate on black and grey bars, but my complaint lies in the fact that the grey bars cover too much. I've drawn lines that show the amount of overlap that often occurs when presenting ANY 4x3 content in this mode. I know that the DTC100 has a way to disable the grey bars and I also realize the danger of burn in, but I do not want the grey bars if they will hide a substantial portion of an already small image. I've measured upwards of 1.5" on each side. Is there a way to resize the bars or turn them off on the F38310? I almost NEVER use this mode but when I do I'd like it to work properly. Given the amount I use it burn in will never be an issue since I watch almost all 4x3 content streched in the Full mode shown above. RCA, I understand trying to keep people from hurting themselves, but thanks anyway I'm a big boy. Anyone know if this issue can be addressed/corrected? If so please let me know! [email protected]

Finally, this is my TRUE issue and this one makes the least amount of sense as to what is going on.

Fill Mode:

Here is what I would expect...

http://www.mcshanebowie.com/Ben/HDTV/Desired_Fill.jpg

but here is what I get...
http://www.mcshanebowie.com/Ben/HDTV/Current_Fill.jpg

Note that the Deathstar is egg-shaped. The vertical streching is set too high. This behavior has been exhibited in all 4 of my units so I assume it's a software bug where the level of vertical strech is set too high. Anyone know if this can be addressed/corrected? If so please let me know! [email protected]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I take it nobody else is experiencing this? Or nobody has any idea how to fix it?

PLease any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are not using an anamorphic image. You are using a letterbox image. The black bars are part of the actual image - while with an anamorphic image the black bars are put put in by the disk player. If you were using an anamormphic disk the image would look compressed - egg shaped in NORMAL mode. There is nothing wrong with the TV - as far as this problem goes. If your disk says it is anamorphic then the problem is with your laserdisk player - make sure it is set for anamorphic output. My laserdisk player does not even have this option.

------------------

BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ashleyjay:
You are not using an anamorphic image. You are using a letterbox image. The black bars are part of the actual image
Correct, I realize this and I know that laserdiscs can never be anamorphic. The issue is that an over streching of the vertical axis is taking place in that mode. Too much of the image (be it letterbox bars or Ted Koppel's Hair) is being cut off. This issue results in all content shown in that mode. For all intents and purposes this mode might as well not even be there. It's not correctly serving the purpose for which it was designed, by that I mean displaying LB 4x3 content by trimming the dead picture data.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I believe all F38310 set have this problem. I did not notice it until I checked with a test pattern. It is not the DVD player; it is the TV. The Fill (enlarge) mode does not stretch enough.

Using a standard test pattern with a big circle in the middle in the 4x3 mode (Normal), the circle is nearly perfect on my set.

Moving to the stretch mode (Full) used for anamorphic DVDs, the circle becomes oval, as it should. It you multiply the height of the circle by 1.33 you should get the width of the circle. This to is nearly perfect on my set.

However, when the enlarge mode (Fill) is use for letterbox DVD or TV shows (PBS) the circle should be nearly perfect, but it is not, it is slightly narrow. The letterbox mode is not stretching enough.

If you try to correct this with geometry controls for the service menu, the Normal and Full mode might be negatively affected. I have watched one letterbox DVD and several PBS letterboxes shows, and not noticed the squeezed picture, but it is definitely there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.