AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Nielson people called a couple of weeks ago and asked if I would be willing to keep diaries on each of our TVs for a "sweeps week" ratings survey. I did this once several years ago and it was sort of a pain but I said yes. They asked how many TVs in my house and I said 6 (actually 7 - forgot about the one in the guest room). They sent me 6 diaries (and $2.00 for my trouble!!!) and we began keeping track last Thursday, finish up today. Needless to say, the diaries for the 2 TVs with DirecTV are going to show a lot of HDNet, HBO-HD and SHO-HD. I just wish there was someway to get across that I (and a significant number of others) would watch even more HD content on DirecTV if it were available. Likewise, my diaries will show very little OTA viewing as none of my locals have chosen to broadcast HD. I doubt my $.02 will make much difference but want to get it in anyway. I just wish I had told them 60 TVs instead of only 6.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The diaries are used for local statisics. Sweeps is basically where local networks set their ad prices. Neilson doesn't really care for the system as the majority of the books they send out never come back. Local networks love them because it rewards the network with the most outlandish TV programming. Neilson found that most people don't fill them out as they watch TV. They fill it out on the weekend. So the shows that get logged are the ones that are most memorable. That's why you get all this dumb sweeps programming. If on the other hand electronic monitoring (like they do for national stats) was used locally networks wouldn't have to be as gimicky.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Your a real Nelson family when they give you the meter. :)

BTW your not supposed to tell anyone publicly your a nelson family. :D

I must shut up now. :lol:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I told them I used TiVo and they denied me! So my last name is still Scogland (it would have been strange changing my name to Ricky Nelson anyway!)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
These books are a joke. They expect you to list the names and numbers all of the stations you receive via OTA, cable or satellite and give you 4" of space on the 3rd page to do it. I get DirecTV, Cox cable and OTA, over 200 channels total, and would need several pages to list all the stations I receive, if I was willing to take the time to do it, which I am not. Instead, I just wrote "DirecTV and Cox Cable, look it up." They also picked a bad time to send these out to us. My daughter's softball season is underway and we are all at games every night until after 9:00 and were out of town last weekend. Other than morning and 10:00pm news, we really haven't watched much TV the last week. Our "prime time" viewing has been zero. However, I will still turn in as much HD viewing as I can re-create. I'm not being dishonest - I would have watched it if I had had the time.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
Hmmm, seems like they only asked for the stations and call letters for the shows you actually watched when I filled them out last November sweeps. And as turls said, you can also "write in" shows you like and normally watch even if you didn't/couldn't watch them during the recording period.

RScogland, do you play guitar? ;)

ron

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Is there no way for D* or E* to track viewing behavior via the STB's for their own use?

It seems that it wouldn't be that hard to imbed the technology in STB's to monitor viewing behavior for operations/programming purposes internal to D* and E*.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just for the record, it's Nielsen, as in Nielsen Media Research, not Neilson or Nielson or Neilson or Nelson -- even though they've been compiling local and national TV ratings since the days of Ozzie and Harriet Nelson.

We filled out a Nielsen book for a week earlier this year. We were told on the phone, at the time we agreed to fill out the dairies, we could staple a list of our DirecTV and cable channels and it wasn't necessary to list them one-by-one. We just drew a line through the channels we don't receive.

·
Registered
18,926 Posts
Quote:
Is there no way for D* or E* to track viewing behavior via the STB's for their own use?
I was thining of this too. What with all these computerized cable and sat boxes, you mean to tell me they can't monitor what people are watching? I'm almost positive they can and do.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i don't think D* or E* employs two way satellite systems in their network. you woudn't be able to uplink data back to the satellite, then back to D* or E*.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Linux23
i don't think D* or E* employs two way satellite systems in their network. you woudn't be able to uplink data back to the satellite, then back to D* or E*.
But you can if the phone line is plugged in to send a batch upload overnight of viewing behavior data to D* or E*.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you have a box that has either a digital cable line, phone line or network line connected to it and it gets service from a commercial company, better to assume that your habits are being monitored than to think that you are not being watched.

Read your privacy statements carefully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.