AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No matter what I do the colors seem washed out and to bright. I cant seem to get any depth. Will someone please post there perfected Settings? I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Check to see if you are still using the "Presentation" setting (in Presets). If you are, this is the setting used for doing presentations, not film, and it is too bright and has the colors washed out.

Select the "Film" setting, and then go from there to make other adjustments.

See the FAQ for more details:

http://members.shaw.ca/technut/x1faq

·
Registered
116 Posts
The reflecting surface (screen) is 1/2 of the equation here. What are you projecting onto? It may not be a problem with the X1 settings.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Settings:

Contrast: 58

Brightness: 77

Color: 74

Tint: 44

Pictures, Presets = Film

Pictures, Advanced

Sharpness = Sharper

Color Temp = Cool or Warm

Color Control...Red 76, Green - 65, and Blue 71...

These are going to vary depending on what you are shooting the X1 on ...

I am just using an Off White Wall as of now....

·
Registered
211 Posts
Actually, when I was using S-Video input on my X1 a couple of months ago, I also had my brightness setting up near where cburbs listed (not sure on the color settings). Anyway, I upgraded to the SVGA cable input via the breakout cable and my was very dissapointed in the PQ - all washed out. Did some looking here on the board, and someone mentioned that you had to back off the brightness on the VGA input.

So using the VGA input, I moved the brightness way back to 48 or so, and walah!, the X1's PQ was beautiful.

Hope this helps.

Trey

·
Banned
539 Posts
A 77 brightness setting is sky high. I keep mine around 55 on both the video and computer inputs, sometimes less, but never higher.

The best way to tweak your setting is use the Film preset for your base setting and tweak from there. I usually change the color setting to warm (maybe it's "cool"?), because the default is too orange. Next tweak the brightness and contrast. This is usually best achieved with a darker scene in the movie of your choice. Pause the DVD on this scene and tweak away. If the dark scene looks resonable, the brighter scenes should look great. If you have the sharpness available, I usually set this to high, but this is personal choice. When you are done, save the preset to one of the three custom settings.

I only use Presentation mode during the daytime for a sports event. Way too washed out for anything but powerpoint graphics and maybe sports events.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I had mine at:

Mode: Film

Contrast: 60

Brightness: 50-65 (depending on the type of movie; ie: bright/dark)

Color: 70-76 (I like vivid saturated colors)

Tint: 44

Sharpness: Sharper

Colors:

Red: 76-80

Green: 60-69

Blue: 65-75 (I usually put this one higher than green, but lower than red)

I think that's about it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Puddytay

Give us more details about your X1's setting, setup and viewing environment. Maybe some of the experienced can give you a hand.

Assuming that you've already tried different media, connections and settings, maybe bring the projector to any of your friend's place. If you see the same thing even after trying what others described above, return it before the period expires.

Good luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I run my brightness at 38, and I project on to a 9' DIY screen. It gives a beautiful picture. Of course, I need full light control (none). Even a small light washes out the picture.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Threads like these make no sense at all.

There is no ideal setting because there are too many variables all the time (screen, screen size, wall color, ambient light, personal taste) so please buy a calibration DVD (like Digital Video Essentials) and tweak it to your personal taste after that.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Nisei
Threads like these make no sense at all.

There is no ideal setting because there are too many variables all the time (screen, screen size, wall color, ambient light, personal taste) so please buy a calibration DVD (like Digital Video Essentials) and tweak it to your personal taste after that.
That is not totally true. If someone has strayed way off base, this type question can and does help get back to reality.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.