AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Sorry for the "dumb" question, but I'm really confused about this. I've read on this forum that only HDMI carries the True Dolby Digital 5.1. I've got:

Samsung HL-S6187W HDTV

LG TX750 Home Theater (Surround sound receiver)

Hughes HR10-250 DTV* receiver

XBOX360 w/ HD-DVD drive

My question is, how would I get True Dolby Digital 5.1 to my LG surround sound receiver. It only has optical & analog input? I've got the HDMI going to the TV, and an optical cable going from the Satellite box to the surround sound receiver. Should I have run the optical cable from the TV to the LG receiver to get True Dolby HD?? I'm so confused
!!

Thanks for any help!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see, since my XBOX 360 is hooked up via vga for video and optical for audio - you're right, there is no way to get Dolby TrueHD for that. But what about for my satellite connection? Do I have that hooked up correctly? I thought I read that it need to be uncompressed, and that only HDMI was able to do this. Unfortunately, my LG receiver doesn't have HDMI, but even if it did, how would send HDMI to both the TV and receiver??

·
Registered
85 Posts
When a receiver has a HDMI input, it also has a HDMI output. You drive in the HDMI cable to the receiver and it plays the audio. Then another HDMI cable goes from the receiver to the TV for the video.

Only HD DVD and Blu-Ray discs can supply Dolby TrueHD at this time so you will not get better sound from your Tivo if you use HDMI instead of optical.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I believe I understand now. I would have to upgrade my AV receiver in order to obtain one with HDMI input. The LG definitely doesn't have that. As I have it right now, I will not be able to receive any better audio signal than the optical. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually uncovered another suprise. When I was looking at the new Toshiba HD-DVD player (HD-XA1), I noticed that it had only 1 HDMI output. So how would someone get Dolby TrueHD out of that? Its the same problem I have now. Everything seems to only output 1 HDMI, not 2 (one for video, one for audio) as I was thinking. So how would someone get Dolby TrueHD out of that?? Thanks again

·
Registered
237 Posts
On the HD-XA1, you could get TrueHD either through the HDMI port or the analog outs. You do not need two HDMI connectors. Both video and audio pass on the same HDMI connector usually to a receiver. After that, video is sent from the receiver to the TV usually via HDMI and audio is sent to the speakers, amps, etc. through analog speaker connections.

·
Registered
513 Posts
OK. Here we GO HD Audio 101

HD DVD forum Rules REQUIRE all hd dvd player to support ADVANCED CODECS. This means that your player is capable of decoding of the disk the Dolby True HD information. As to getting the sound information from the player to your receiver, there are only two ways to get the DECODED stream to your receiver. One is via Analog 5.1 from the back of your A1, XA1 or XA2 to your Receiver 5.1 inputs. Number 2 is to receive the DECODED stream via HDMI into your receiver.

One third option LIMITED TO THE XA2 because it is HDMI 1.3 is to send the undecoded (raw) audio bitstream to an HDMI 1.3 Receiver that can decode advance codecs which currently are expected to ship this year and beyond.

The AUDIO you get via the Digital or Coax SPDIF is the Codec you select, Converted Real time to 1.5Mbps DTS and passed out to the receiver. This is because of a limitation on the SPDIF spec.

Jorge

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
A little off topic but fits in here. I understand how Dolby TruHD work over HDMI or Analog outs. How about the new Dolby 5.1 Plus and the advanced DTS? This affects the new reciever I want to buy. Can these be out put decoded from digital or optical cable when set to LPCM and can they be output decoded from the analog outs to a reciever with out these codecs?

·
Registered
85 Posts
DD+ will work the same as Dolby TrueHD. DTS Master Audio is not yet decoded in the current players. None of these can pass through toslink or coax digital via LPCM. You will need HDMI to pass the decoded LPCM to a receiver or use the analog ports.

I suggest finding a receiver that handles 7.1 LPCM over HDMI and DOES NOT have any LFE issues with PCM or analog. (These are actually pretty tricky to find.) If you only ever plan on owning one HD player then you can probably get away with just using analog assuming your HD player has analog out.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussander /forum/post/0

DD+ will work the same as Dolby TrueHD. DTS Master Audio is not yet decoded in the current players. None of these can pass through toslink or coax digital via LPCM. You will need HDMI to pass the decoded LPCM to a receiver or use the analog ports.

I suggest finding a receiver that handles 7.1 LPCM over HDMI and DOES NOT have any LFE issues with PCM or analog. (These are actually pretty tricky to find.) If you only ever plan on owning one HD player then you can probably get away with just using analog assuming your HD player has analog out.

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. I am interested in the HK 245 which I can get at a good price but only has pass tru HDMI. The denon 2807 I am looking at processes HDMI but is more pricey and even if I wanted to pay more I would like to get the highter end HK which I believe doesn't do HDMI audio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.