AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know very little about video formats, but I'm considering complementing my current MiniDV camcorder with a pocket HD camcorder such as the Kodak Zi8. I do have some concerns; I wouldn't want to capture one time memories with a low quality format. The other concern is, I like to have the whole event be one movie even though I may stop and go many times. Will every time I start and stop be considered a separate file or movie?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fishywishy, but I still have the question of whether it's worth taking video of well lid and/or outdoor events of the kids with such technology vs. continue to always use my Mini DV camcorder. I admit it may be something I have to try for myself since youtube does show samples but it's not the best way to judge it. Plus the price is not that much.

Can anyone tell me how the recording comes together? Like I said I wouldn't want to have 30-45 "different" mini movies averaging 10-20 seconds, when I'd rather have a constant movie of the outing, like on the Mini DV.

Also, the specs on the Kodak site states a 2.8 Ghz processor is recommended but on my office PC the processor is 1.83 Ghz. Does that mean I cant watch 1080 or 720 footage?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say the max movie size is 4GB, does that mean one continues recording? Like most I record seconds at a time, but several times in one event. Hardly ever do I keep the camera rolling for a while unless it's a school performance from the kids for example. Again, my question is what do I end up with at the end of the day, one movie I can watch without interoptions or many little movies that one has to edit together in order to watch the whole thing?

I currently have a 7 year old Sony Mini DV camcorder ((DCR-TRV33) which produces good enough quality video outdoors but on lower light settings suffers a little (like most). I get a 12GB 1 hour movie when I transfer the movie to the PC via firewire. I tend to keep the movie raw (AVI / Open DML) since I don't like losing more quality in the process of editing (which I don't find necessary except for a title maybe).

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Patrick11, what camera is that? Reason for selling, as honestly as possible?

Fishywishy if every start and stop is its own movie, how do you watch the whole video which could be 15-20 mini movies? Let's say you take the family to a theme park and in a span of 10 hours you start/stop 50 times but at the end of the day you want all 50 start/stops to be one movie?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's A kodak zi8, used probably 10 times. I just bought a Sony tx7, that's shoots video in the same format as my xr500v, so I just don't need the zi8.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool...

...Again, can some one tell me how you view a days worth of taping wich may be many starts/stops?......

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well like I asked before, let's say you go to a theme park and you "film" short clips all day long. At the end of the day back home, how do you watch the complete days' worth of "filming" in one sitting? Would we have to watch every short clip individually? I know it's a different technology but on a Mini DV camcorder one can start/stop all day long and at the end watch the complete thing in one sitting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
^

I think there is a communication issue here. You want to know if you can view your days worth of filming in "one sitting" right? As in once you press play, all you have to do is sit back and watch, continuously, the days worth of filming? I'm not sure exactly how this stuff works because I don't own a video camera of any kind but I don't think that it works that way. Like Fishy said, it creates a new file every time you press stop leading me to believe you'd have to watch each file independently. I don't know if there is a way to edit it all together but I'm sure there is someone here that will chime in........Davyo maybe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
you can play all the clips back automatically in order. Just have to select the right playback option in whatever device you use to play them.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks semifast, that would make it more attractive to use such media. Is the play back smooth or can you tell when one clip ended and the other started?

·
Registered
959 Posts
As others have said, these digital video cameras write files for each clip you shoot - ie, every time you press "record" then "stop" a new file is written.

The real benefit of the digital file nature of these things is that you can take those files, transfer them to your computer, and relatively easily edit them. So you can combine them into a longer video, cut out parts you don't want, rearrange them, add transitions, etc. The software for doing this ranges from pretty simple (Windows Movie Maker, whatever's packaged with your camera, iMovie, etc) to very sophisticated (Final Cut, etc).

You can just play the clips one after another (the seamlessness of the transitions is probably dependant on the software being used) but that sorta defeats the purpose.

jeff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts