AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a total noob when it comes to AVR's and such so I really need your help. I've been doing some reading for the past few weeks and I think I am leaning towards the Denon 889. However, I want your opinion of whether or not this is a good choice or if I would be better off going with something different. Here's what I'm planning to connect to my new receiver and Samsung 5271 HDTV. I also have Klipsch Speakers that are a few years old, but still decent. I don't know the specs on them right now because I'm at work.

1. DirecTV HD Receiver via HDMI

2. Playstation 3 via HDMI

3. XBox 360 via Component and Optical

4. Wii via Component and RCA(the red and white cords....not sure ithey're called RCA)

Basically, I'm just looking for some kick-ass 7.1 sound....mainly for my PS3 since that's the only thing that supports it right now. But I also want something that's going to make my other stuff sound awesome too. I also don't want to lose any picture quality by going through a receiver. I've heard about the upscaling stuff, but I need to make sure there's no problems with it.

As you can see, I'm a total noob with this stuff so please help me. Is the Denon 889 good for my needs or should I consider something else? The only thing that is making me second guess the Denon 889 is the fact that I've read numerous reports that it's kind of difficult to set up. Being a total noob, I don't know if that's the best choice for me.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Denon makes fine receivers. You could look at the 789/1909 as that appears to meet your requirements without sacrificing much compared to the 889. Klipsch are efficient speakers so any receiver out there should drive them no problem. The usual receivers include Onkyo 606, Denon 789/1909, HK254, Marantz SR5003, Pioneer 1018, and Yamaha 663. I would say the HK is the easiest to setup as it has the best OSD. They had issues at release, but 3 firmware upgrades later, everything appears to be well with the x54 series. The Denon 789/1909 and up have the dynamic volume thingy which is nice.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
They had issues at release, but 3 firmware upgrades later, everything appears to be well with the x54 series.

so HK has no problems now? I have been waiting to try out the new HKs.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/15486312

so HK has no problems now? I have been waiting to try out the new HKs.

"No Problems" is a big statement, but it seems most issues are resolved and they operate as well as any of the other brands. It appears most of the issues were PS3-related.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
It appears most of the issues were PS3-related.

True about "No problems" but the PS3 problem is what was stopping me...I should have been more specific
I have not followed the updates for awhile now.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Head to the local BB and pick one up. It's the only way to be sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the Denon 889 would work fine for me, but the 789 would work just as well? As far as brand goes, from the ones you listed, which one is known for quality? I don't want something that will break in a year.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
denon is a very reliable brand...that may be what it is most known for...marantz is also reliable. i would put yamaha as #3 in the group, and the rest might be less reliable...but once you get to a year they should all prefeorm well.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/15487329

denon is a very reliable brand...that may be what it is most known for...marantz is also reliable. i would put yamaha as #3 in the group, and the rest might be less reliable...but once you get to a year they should all prefeorm well.

+1 Those are the 3 I'd put at the top of the reliability list along with Pioneer Elite.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts