Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The movie I am referring to is the 1980

film "Raise The Titanic". I watched it but it was worn to nothing except the Dolby Surround Score. The movie was made before Robert Ballard found the ship scattered in a 2 mile long field. Jason Robards Jr. (Tora Tora Tora) starred along with Richard Jordon (Francis in Logans Run), David Selby (Dark Shadows) Alec Guiness (Obiwonkenobie in Star Wars), M. Emmett Walsh (Missing in Action), J.D. Cannon and a host of others. What a story line going back over 70 years from 1982 to 1912, the elements were all there for a plot that had many twists in it. DVD manufacturers Record the DVD called "Raise The Titanic" for a new generation of movie watchers.

Plot a scientist (Selby) comes up with a way to make nuclear war obsolete which was named after a brilliant Russian Chess Master aftly called "The Sicilian Defense", they sent a man to a island called swardlove looking to see if there was any of the stuff on it. With his geiger counter going off like the 4th of July, he slides down into an already formed tunnel that's underneath the snow to find that an American Team of mining engineers had taken out about 500 to 1,000 pounds of the 'byzanium ore' that hardly anyone in present day 1982 had ever heard of it let alone 1912!

You can guess by the title of the movie how they tried to ship it back to New York from Southampton, in England. Remember the 'Key' "Thank God For Sotheby" near the end of the picture they find out just what Sotheby was, not 'who' they tought it was. Written into the script Sotheby could have added a new chapter into this unusal, well photographed deep sea movie.

Since my vhs copy is completely worn out to almost complete unwatchability I do hope they will make a DVD of it. I own the Dolby Surround Sound track of the movie. I listen to it quite frequently the more I/you listen to it, the more you want to see the movie. Do any of you remember this gem and what you liked about it, also would you want a wide screen DVD as much as I do or even more than I do?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
djs I have seen this movie over 100 times, posibly 200 times since it first came on the market in and around the early 1980s.

The movie is 114 minutes it has some great actors playing their parts admirally. I being a SCUBA (Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus) diver always longed to see more than the few World War 2 ships and submarines that I was privaleged to dive on. Besides wooden ships like the steamship "Delaware" sunk off of Asbury Park, NJ in 110 feet of water. Maybe the movie wouldn't appeal to the fast moving crowd of the 21st century. To a former Scuba diver like me, I can't see enough of this film, brilliant score by John Barry. The music blends in with both time periods that of 1912 and 1984. I can't even find a Vhs copy to see waiting on a DVD release, but I will keep on looking.

If anyone knows where I can get a New pre-recored Vhs tape please post the URL here. As soon as a DVD disc would be for sale I would buy it immediatley knowing that it would be in Dolby Surround. If you all remember Star Wars in 1976 I think was the first movie to have Dolby Stereo and this movie was only 4 years from the newly developed Dolby Stereo. Somebody thought this movie deserved to be in Dolby Stereo.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Todd H gave me 2 Urls for ebay items, wouldn't you know it both were not in the SP which would last me the longest, but a speed no longer played by modern Vhs units just SP & EP. Buy eithe one of these you'll have to to a pawn shop for an older vcr that plays the speed.

Anyone else of AVS kind souls have a Url or 2 for me to buy what I 'crave' to see clearly again. I joined the IMDb just to put my vote on it and one other kinda rare movie "One Dark Night" made by the now OOP Thorne-EMI in 1983. What a grusome movie

in color, you have to have the stomach to see this one. I got off a dealer that had it on his shelf unopened for 16 years.

Gee fellas from raising the titanic to raising the dead, I have some archive of movies and DVD movies to keep old hob busy for all the hours of all the days I'll be turning 55 soon. I still like my movies and my rock and roll. Yeah I have that DVD to with those nice shots of Sharon Stone.

From 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea to Christopher Syn AKA "The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh", Westwrd Ho The Wagons and Old Yeller with no commercials thanks to the 'paid for' Disney© pay channel.

I have all the episodes to Victory At Sea

and I can barely move my wheelchair in the closet that holds most of them. You know the long closet that opens in the middle, I am asked if I will ever see all that I have recorded or bought on Vhs. I have seen all of my DVDs 2nd time for the Directors edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. All the Beach movies with Annette Funicello to The Day the Earth Stood Still

1951 with the same director as ST:TMP Robert Wise.:)

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Please post a URL for me to get another copy don't just view and pass by the post,

make a comment or add a way to obtain a legal copy of "Raise The Titanic".

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seen the Amazon.com vhs but I am not exactly welcome at amazon.com. I next hit on the deutchland Amazon. I can read the text but I can't speak the language properly. Grandfather came from deutchland and grandmother came from Ireland, I know more deutch than irish.

I was unable to find the OOP DVD disc even though I typed in the right words, other versions of Titanic came up but not yours.

So is their any other URL than someone can furnish old 'hob' with of seeing that movie for Christmas, for 'us' their are no holidays, weekends or vacations. Days to get through, until we can dream of being able to walk again while we sleep.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's a darn shame that companies want to 'bilk' you out of your money. Dot coms advertise it for $9.99 then when you get on their site the price is now $24.99, for a new or 'used' vhs tape and it's from an unknown source other than company you mentioned Mr. Wilson! I wish walmart.com had it for they are always on the level, unlike other 'shady' companies.

Looks like you and Todd H and the other fellow out 21,000+ members of the AVS forum have hardly any knowledge on getting URLs for things other than 'new' products. I can't believe that, there was only one other disabled AVS member who has been gratious to offer his advice towards helping me with my new computer.

IMO all the rest of AVS are 'able' to get out and find things they want. Yet only 3 have responded with their help to this post for information.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hob, here's someone with it, the good news is its brand new, it's in stock, it's a reputable store, and very cheap.

The bad news is its PAL - maybe your VCR can handle it, if not you may want to buy a multiregion VCR - just to future proof yourself of course :)

Heres the link - Blackstar

Ian

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This off topic post of a DVD software AVS forum. I have no idea of buying a vhs vcr when I have 3 of them right now plus 2 DVD changers besides Ian, I have a small for one person disabled apartment with no more closet space as it's filled with Vhs movies. I have been on the pay channels since my accident 16 years ago, I recorded each movie in SP for my 'own' use.

I had to get rid of all the cases holding my CDs and DVDs, I just don't have the space on my entertainment table built 200 years ago, my dad didn't want my expensive electronics to get damaged, so they gave the family heirloom. I now have 6 various electronic devices on the well built table. I hope that someone on veterans day will think of this 'old' U.S. Navy Veteran with doc/DD-215 Honourable Discharge and post a URL for USA NTSC format.:)

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I don't think you're gonna do better than $25 considering how long this movie has been out of print.

Why don't you set up a search for it at auctionwatch.com. Then it'll email you if someone ever puts one up for sale.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm not much of a reader, but this is one book I did read. IIRC, the book went on from where the movie ended. I expected a sequel. Clive Cussler also has written a bunch of other books worth reading. He also was part of the crew that discovered the Hunley(sp?), the confederate submarine used in the civil war.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pete I fully disabled at home I have a unlisted phone number, and credit card, I can't give them out to eBay. If your not new to the internet then you must have read they have been hacked several times.

If someone hacked them again go my all of my personal Identifcation, I would be up the creek without a paddle. My persoanal information has never been put on only to webtv.net. I order thousands of dollars worth of equipment each year but only if the web site has a 1-800, 877, or 888 free call. A WATS (Wide Area Telephone Service) line, a Wats line is essentially a collect call for the company. For us the customer it's much safer than putting your credit card full information on the internet.

Pete If you didn't know about this you do now. I learn things that are new to me every day. I learned this from a telephone security expert in state of Virginia, who used to work for the CIA. Great credentials to take advice off of wouldn't you agree Pete? I need a source where I can send a money order and get a copy. I have already found such a company given to me by another not on AVS formu but some other forum I have sent a e-mail requesting to buy another movie not Raise The Titanic. I need to fid a url that will

not need my personal Identifacation.:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
hob - I won't go into your reasons for being paranoid about purchasing something on the internet (someone can just as easily get your CC# from you calling an 800# as you giving it to a dot.com). You do not need to give your credit card to eBay. You need to give them your name, address and email address and you can buy whatever you want. You are purchasing the video from an individual, not eBay. At the bottom of the auction it says how you may pay for an item - it almost always has money order as an option.

You would, however, have to give your CC# to half.com, so skip that site if you don't want to give out your info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.